PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hello, just to say

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had the same problem as well. Managed to ask for a link to alter my password.

I've no idea how many posts I've made. I'll look to the left after posting this. I know I've been around quite a while.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    i was in the same boat. my email address was no longer in service so i had to change it before i could reset my password.
  • I think that when I clicked by the "old" or "current" password box (can't remember which description it was), because I had things to sign in automatically, presumably it was my browser which then actually autofilled that box. I could then progress with "changing". Try your old account again.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I had this farce about a fortnight ago, as I!!!8217;d lost everything. Of course, I had no clue about my password here and I!!!8217;d set up on an old Hotmail account.

Managed to dredge it up though and reset password, so I thought the message was something to do with that.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    The password change issue is being discussed here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791325

Some comments about the reason given by MSE Andrea:
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m sorry for the delay replying.

This isn’t the first time we’ve sent a prompt out in this or other ways. MSE’s priority is to ensure your security so we’ve prompted everyone to change them.

We realise it might be frustrating but your security comes first.
    and posters are making this point:
    But our security isn't coming first when we are being asked to put a new password in over an unsecure connection leaving us open to hackers.

This is taken from Chrome and is the same for firefox surely a massive site like mse should be a lot more secure.
    rzP3Kj6ct8WH1Ez2S5wV6HCXQVJZg4z0dppd Info or Not secure
    The site isn't using a private connection. Someone might be able to see or change the information you send or get through this site.
    You might see a "Login not secure" or "Payment not secure" message. We suggest that you don't enter sensitive details, like passwords or credit cards.
    On some sites, you can visit a more secure version of the page:

• Select the address bar.
    • Delete http://, and enter https:// instead.
    If that doesn't work, contact the site owner to ask that they secure the site and your data with HTTPS.
    No further comment from MSE on the security issue.
  • Thanks all. Yes, the main issue was that my registered email address was no longer in use. Thanks to those who pointed out different ways I could have dealt with it - but I couldn't find them at the time. Maybe they will be of use to others.
    I don't know much about security on MSE: I have never used the same user name or password as any other site. I do know that this is a very useful forum, which I often recommend.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The password change issue is being discussed here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791325

Some comments about the reason given by MSE Andrea:

and posters are making this point:

No further comment from MSE on the security issue.

It seems to me that mse always treats us like mushrooms: fed a load of BS and kept in the dark!:mad:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    It seems to me that mse always treats us like mushrooms: fed a load of BS and kept in the dark!:mad:
    Some suspicions that MSE has been hacked on the thread I linked to.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Some suspicions that MSE has been hacked on the thread I linked to.

I suspected that it might have something to do with that, possibly all the disappearing threads the other day.

My point is more that they treat us like idiots. I find it incredibly patronising.

mseAndrea sounds surprised that we noticed that passwords are to be changed en bloc, telling us many were out of date when many are not. Then there's my ongoing gripe about them starting stupid hypothetical threads when we have plenty of our own. I'd rather they spent their time keeping us informed.

Last week when they 'found' some of the lost threads all we got was 'bump, bump, bump '.:mad:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    monnagran wrote: »
    Welcome back, builders daughter. Just look on it as a re-birth.
    Or karma. Its ideal to keep the same avatar so we can take a good guess at a previous life :D
    maman wrote: »
    My point is more that they treat us like idiots. I find it incredibly patronising.
    But overall I'm guessing that the benefit of the forum outweighs the irritation. There's always the option to stick MSE Andrea on ignore if she bothers you that much. Posts are as wide open to misinterpretation as emails can be.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure