Brown spots on my clothes after washing...

Please help!!

I’ve been getting little brown rust type looking spots on my clothes after washing for about a year and a half. I thought it was my washing machine and recent bought a brand new one. It isn’t - and is now even worse! It’s driving me up the wall and is ruining my clothes. I used to wash some lither items in a pillow case as a buffer and now that doesn’t even work. I use regular, shop bought detergent and conditioner and regular switch them depending what’s on offer. I’ve got photos but don’t know how to put them on here.

Our landlord has called plumber out who is also at a loss. He is going to fit a filter to the water pipe at the back but I’m not confident this will fix it!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Are they there after washing but before drying?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I assume the marks are on light coloured items, not on black items?

What causes laundry rust stains.

Rust spots on clothing can occur for several reasons, including:
    • Bacteria that chemically reacts with older iron pipes. While many newer homes contain PVC piping, city water is often supplied using iron pipes.
    • Rust and iron deposits breaking loose within water pipes or water heaters.
  • -taff
  • Cat87
    Cat87 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Funny you should ask as yes, whilst the brown spots are often there when fresh out of the machine and wet, they do seem far more prominent once dry. And sometimes when I don’t think there are any, once it’s dried there are!
  • Cat87
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I assume the marks are on light coloured items, not on black items?

What causes laundry rust stains.

Rust spots on clothing can occur for several reasons, including:
    • Bacteria that chemically reacts with older iron pipes. While many newer homes contain PVC piping, city water is often supplied using iron pipes.
    • Rust and iron deposits breaking loose within water pipes or water heaters.

Thank you! Yes, only on light item and it’s so bad I can barely wash anything that isn’t dark now.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Are you drying on a rack? Sometimes they can go a bit rusty if you've got the plastic-coated type and the plastic starts to get a bit brittle and crack.
  • Cat87
    Callie22 wrote: »
    Are you drying on a rack? Sometimes they can go a bit rusty if you've got the plastic-coated type and the plastic starts to get a bit brittle and crack.

Sometimes we do - but it’s 100% coming from being washed. If I could post the pictures it would be much easier! For instance all our shirts and t shirts get them and I dry them hung up on a coat hanger above the door frame.
  • Are you taking them out of washer and putting them on a surface where for instance coffee has dripped and you haven’t noticed. (I only suggest this because I had a similar issue and this was the reason!).
  • -taff
    Do you wash at 30 degrees all the time?
  • Cat87
    -taff wrote: »
    Do you wash at 30 degrees all the time?

Nope, we wash at different temperature and it also couldn’t be a build up as it’s a brand new machine (and was also happening with the last one).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure