NHS Penalty Charge Notice received - another victim

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    if you knew you were not eligable for free treatment ... Why didnt you pay on the dat?
  • No it is the intransigent dismissive attitude of the agency staff who presume guilt and who don't listen or dismiss everything I said in my defence which turns out to be true.

I didn't pay because the desk staff said I didn't have to because as it turns out they thought I had an exemption. But I didn't know that was the reason at the time.
    As stated inmy first post! :)
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    you are the one that signs.

regardless of what 'the staff' say, you have the ability to read the form and choose to sing.

you signed and you were not entitled so you need to pay
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    nannytone wrote: »

regardless of what 'the staff' say, you have the ability to read the form and choose to sing.

The NHS Web site states "Tell your dental practice you want NHS treatment when you make an appointment. When you arrive for your appointment, you'll be given a form to fill out – if you do not have to pay, put a cross in the appropriate box."

OP says she signed a form but didn't tick any of the boxes.

If the practice printed off the form with a box pre ticked, then OP should have spotted that and corrected it. But that is pure speculation.

Do you have a thorough understanding of how these forms are produced? (I don't)
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    nannytone wrote: »

The OP didn't say they didn't sign the form. They are saying they didn't tick any of the boxes for free treatment. If the surgery staff ticked one of the boxes after the OP had signed the form how is the OP supposed to know that? Psychic powers??
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Even if the dentist completed the form incorrectly, it’s the patients responsibility to know if they are exempt. You say yourself you assumed you were because of your state pension, you should have actually checked.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    The OP didn't say they didn't sign the form. They are saying they didn't tick any of the boxes for free treatment. If the surgery staff ticked one of the boxes after the OP had signed the form how is the OP supposed to know that? Psychic powers??

Post 10 does.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Even if the dentist completed the form incorrectly, it’s the patients responsibility to know if they are exempt. You say yourself you assumed you were because of your state pension, you should have actually checked.

When OP signed the form, had a box claiming an exemption been ticket?

If you are saying it had, how do you know this?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Who ticked the box is largely irrelevant, as OP signed to say he was eligible for free treatment. As well as that, he did in fact fail to pay!

"They ticked the wrong box" is not a valid defence to failing to pay the charge.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    This is the form everyone signs at the dentist. It clearly shows what exemption is claimed for and says there will be a fine if you claim wrongly. Always check what boxes have been ticked. It is your responsibility . http://www.shiredental.com/FP17PR.png
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure