PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

I went back to the porridge for breakfast this morning mainly because I have got more milk than I realised and don't want to freeze any. I've already got an emergency 2 pint bottle in the freezer.

I made a few coffee muffins this morning because my sister in law really likes them and she is coming over shortly.

Lunch today was a crumpet with scrambled egg on. I don't know why but I had been craving that since yesterday evening.

I'm having the spag bol today that I was considering having yesterday. I had defrosted the mince so had to do something with it. I made that earlier so it will be an easy dinner.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    LOL ... it'll be Xmas in under 3 months. One way to "focus" might be to set out to completely empty the whole thing by 18 December .... leaving it entirely empty and ready to be filled for/after Xmas!

:rotfl:Errrrm.....there is just so much food in there that I think we might need to amend that to Christmas 2018 Pastures:rotfl:.

:oI think I might just have overdone it a bit - just a tad...

Errrm....and I'm starting to get the money together for the new clothes I need (and won't allow myself to buy until I'm back to correct size). I guesstimate at a disconnect of quite some months between having my new clothes money and having an emptier freezer....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Errrrm.....there is just so much food in there that I think we might need to amend that to Christmas 2018

I've got mine tamed now :)

If it went pop ... it'd cost me under £8 to replace everything.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Up later this morning, must be last of lurgy, still slight sniffles

But in time for the shop mooch, i wanted to get into Iceland to get some cheese in while on 7 day offer, 3 packs bought so should see me through for a bit. Plus some frozen ready meals now I have cleared freezer space and found the Iceland ones to be palatable

Had a spot of YS fortune in Asda, over 1 kg of bananas at 10p a Kg, 13p kerching, aythankewe. Who said that? Arthur Askey? Gosh age is peeking out:D:D

Plus some YS dusted haddock fillets, tonight's dinner, with frozen chips & peas I think

The porridge is still soaking in the fridge, now shoved to the back, perhaps sliced banana to with it later?

Lunch was the very last of the ham used a in sarnie with salad. Next lunchtime is cheese now I'm stocked up

I had a bread glut building up, decided to make a bread pud instead of freezing it. Just tried a lump, it is delicious and will not survive until mid week

Given the weather forecast and veg starting to look a bit past it a soup is on the cards, I will make it this afternoon and use it tomorrow, give it time to mature overnight. Not fridge bottom but a sort of ribollata with what I have available,
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Had a spot of YS fortune in Asda, over 1 kg of bananas at 10p a Kg, 13p kerching, aythankewe. Who said that? Arthur Askey? Gosh age is peeking out:D:D

Drat…bananas!!! I knew I went into MrT for something today. Spent £7 on odds and sods but felt I'd missed something. Got back, read your post and realised. ….another trip out tomorrow now I fear:(
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That's it, soup made and now cooling down ready for tomorrow. It tastes nice even without an overnight flavour mingle

The lightly dusted fish was very nice, not one I've had before but will buy again if found YS

Zapped the soaked porridge & had it with banana, yoghurt & honey for pud

Rain just starting, all warming comfort food is made & ready for Sunday. Be prepared and was not even a Boy scout
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ahem....you do not want to know just how much food can be crammed into a 6' tall freezer. Errr.....rather a lot.....
    Can completely relate..... I've a 5ft one and a 6ft one (that said the six foot is pretty narrow as part of a side-by-side fridge-freezer:(. That said as I'm reliant on on-line food shopping it helps to well-stocked (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :rotfl::rotfl:)
    LOL ... it'll be Xmas in under 3 months. One way to "focus" might be to set out to completely empty the whole thing by 18 December .... leaving it entirely empty and ready to be filled for/after Xmas!
    :rotfl:Errrrm.....there is just so much food in there that I think we might need to amend that to Christmas 2018 Pastures:rotfl:.
    If you make it December 2020, I might be in with a chance of joining you:eek:.

Well the lurgy re-appeared and I had to go to my bed for a few hours this afternoon, feel much better now though and I've had no paracetemol since after lunch so fingers crossed it's settling. I did remember to defrost a couple of sausages before I went for a snooze:).

Tonight is definitely an experiment I've stiffed toms & peppers with rice or couscous mixes before but never sausage. In my trusty mini- chopper I've whizzed the skinned bangers, 1/2 an onion, 3 mushrooms, garlic, 1/2 a red pepper, garlic, the insides from the tomato, some breadcrumbs, oregano, black pepper and a wee bit of salt. I've used this to stuff the tomato and the other half of the red pepper which I'll pop in the oven in a bit. Of course there is mix left (curse of CFOing) and it's quite sloppy so I've popped it into 2 half-filled foil trays from Pukka pies and bake those while the oven is on and see what happens;). I reckon either a sort of pate or something I can use in a pie will result! There will be quite a lot of juice from the baked veg so a small spud will be baked just to mop up the juice, I really should cook some rice to have with it but CBA making from scratch and don't want the LOs from a ping packet. (Of course this is when a portion from the freezer would be handy but I gave the last one to my Dad earlier in the week:))
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I was dreaming of takeaways - and ended up taking a bread roll and a burger from the freezer and zapping those - with the final cheese slice and some ketchup. Nom. That was exceptionally tasty (a mint/lamb one). Glad I chose that.

Now the cheese is over and done with .... I've still another pack to open and eat. Can't really freeze it as there are 11 slices, so it'd mean faffing around separating it all pre-freezing.

Pack BBE date says something about the beginning of October, it's taken me WEEKS to get through the other two packs. I NEED to make a cheese quiche maybe and get shot of 4-5 slices.
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

In my trusty mini- chopper I've whizzed the skinned bangers, 1/2 an onion, 3 mushrooms, garlic, 1/2 a red pepper, garlic, the insides from the tomato, some breadcrumbs, oregano, black pepper and a wee bit of salt.

How mini is your chopper and would you recommend it? I'm looking for something small so I can blitz ingredients together, chop dates etc. But something mini enough to fit in a mini kitchen and not cost the earth. Someone mentioned something the other day but nearly fell over when I googled and saw the prices:(
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    poppystar wrote: »
    ...Someone mentioned something the other day but nearly fell over when I googled and saw the prices:(

:)

They do that a lot here, on this money saving site .... and they don't even realise they're doing it as it's their "norm"...

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport