Final Salary Pension Transfers Mis-Selling Scandal No. 2?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    GSP wrote: »
    Hi dunstonh,
    Drawn to your post about the value likely to drop 25% or more and being able to absorb, and having the character not to panic.
    Are these falls you have seen in the more riskier higher return higher loss investments?
    When I start mine off was looking to be in the middle range of investments. Can the fall you have mentioned be seen here as well over time.
    Thanks

The greater the risk you take (within mainstream), historically, the greater the returns have been over the long term. This assumes you have had a structured portfolio which is will diversified. However, the greater risk means that when short term losses occur, those will be greater too.

Think about lower risk being more like a wavy line and as you take more risk, that wavy line becomes sharper zig zags where the peaks are higher and the troughs lower.

When you invest, you have to consider your capacity for loss and your behaviour when losses occur as well as what you believe your tolerance to losses are.

As mentioned with Japan, that is a possibility. Its an unlikely one at this time but a possible one. It would also need to happen to every market if you are well diversified. However, the point is that it can happen and you need to be prepared to what can happen. Can you afford it if that happens?

Back on to behaviour, some people can get cold feet seeing their value drop by £1000. Others shrug off £200,000 drops with no problem. Its a very personal thing. Partly comes from experience of investing. Your first crash can be nerve wrecking but each one after that gets easier until you eventually end up saying "here we go again" and actually see it as an opportunity.

If you have ever come across someone who says they will not invest on the stockmarket as they lost money, this usually means they invested above their risk profile and pulled out when a loss period came along and couldnt handle it. Had they waited 3-18 months, they would likely have been back in profit again. Their behaviour turned a paper loss into a real loss.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • GSP
    GSP Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Been seeing an average rate of 4% quoted over time given the rises and falls. What kind of %'s do we see each year up and down to achieve this average figure?
    Thanks
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Been seeing an average rate of 4% quoted over time given the rises and falls. What kind of %'s do we see each year up and down to achieve this average figure?
    Thanks

Could easily be between minus and plus 25%
  • GSP
    Hi Joe,
    Understand there are negative and positive years. The positives must outweigh the negatives over time otherwise we wouldn't be here.
    If anyone could provide some real numbers for a run of years given an average figure of 4% has been quoted. Must be true facts behind this.
    Thanks
  • AnotherJoe
    edited 18 April 2017 at 11:02AM
    Hi Joe,
    Understand there are negative and positive years. The positives must outweigh the negatives over time otherwise we wouldn't be here.
    If anyone could provide some real numbers for a run of years given an average figure of 4% has been quoted. Must be true facts behind this.
    Thanks

That was an example of the ranges you asked about.

The actual ranges would depend exactly what you were invested in within your pension.

Here's the FTSE All share for the past 30+ years total return (including dividends) each year separately compared with the previous.

Average is about 11% but then deduct inflation,whatever that was for each year, good luck with that but that could make a big difference in some years, eg if it shows a rise of 5% but inflation was 10% in that year thats actually a loss of 5%. So all these figures need decrementing by a certain amount.

AND - its HUGELY unlikely your pension would have been invested wholly in that. It would have had several other constituents which would in some years have mitigated decreases and in others emphasized them. The only way to know what is was would be to take what your pension would have been invested in and work it out. Add on top currency fluctuations if you had overseas funds.

And, since past performance is no guide to the future, even if you could work all that out, it wouldn't help you anyway. :D

So, back to my original point, I think plus or minus 25% is a fair approximation of what you might expect.
  • GSP
    Thanks for all this Joe,
    Thinking about it I should have put a different question.
    My figure is from the calculators you see which can range from -1% to +5%. How much attention should we pay to these? Are they based on a view of results over time? And if so what are these annually just to see the swings.
    Thanks
  • AnotherJoe
    Thanks for all this Joe,
    My figure is from the calculators you see which can range from -1% to +5%.

What calculators are those? Any reputable company that gives numbers is just giving government mandated figures that dont really relate to anything except perhaps a lowball guesstimate of long term growth..

This is because in the past one company would give an estimate of (say) 10% and another (say) 15% when in reality no one knew, but many would inevitably see the 15% and say "oh thats better than 10% so I'll pick that one" so now everyone now has to give the exact same range of figures to stop those false comparisons, but these figures arent based on much.
    And if so what are these annually just to see the swings.

I suspect you are looking for far more certainty than its possible to get. If you want to really minimise the swings see an IFA and get them to put together a portfolio that will limit the downside which will also limit the upside. No free lunches.
  • davieg11
    davieg11 Posts: 278 Forumite
    Thanks for all this Joe,
    My figure is from the calculators you see which can range from -1% to +5%. How much attention should we pay to these? Are they based on a view of results over time? And if so what are these annually just to see the swings.
    Thanks
    An example of my works pension for last 5 years as of 10th February is
    +24.96
    +7.30
    +10.22
    +10.13
    That is Standard Life Managed Pension Fund. I joined in 2009 so I've not experienced a major correction yet but over 20 years it has a yield of 5%.
  • AnotherJoe
    Davieg are those the 'raw' performance figures of that fund or do they include your contributions?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    That was an example of the ranges you asked about.

The actual ranges would depend exactly what you were invested in within your pension.

Here's the FTSE All share for the past 30+ years total return (including dividends) each year separately compared with the previous.

Average is about 11% but then deduct inflation,whatever that was for each year, good luck with that but that could make a big difference in some years, eg if it shows a rise of 5% but inflation was 10% in that year thats actually a loss of 5%. So all these figures need decrementing by a certain amount.

AND - its HUGELY unlikely your pension would have been invested wholly in that. It would have had several other constituents which would in some years have mitigated decreases and in others emphasized them. The only way to know what is was would be to take what your pension would have been invested in and work it out. Add on top currency fluctuations if you had overseas funds.

And, since past performance is no guide to the future, even if you could work all that out, it wouldn't help you anyway. :D

So, back to my original point, I think plus or minus 25% is a fair approximation of what you might expect.

You say the average of those FTAS figures is 11%, but my calculation is 6.8%.

But that's a straight arithmetic average, which is wrong for this purpose. (It's wrong because -30% one year needs +43% the next year to get back to the original level.)

The correct approach is a geometric average, which is 5.7%. Not a million miles from the 4% that GSP is mentioning.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure