1800s cottage: Do I need Fascia & Soffits?

Options
ukamber1
ukamber1 Posts: 129 Forumite
Hi All,

Please could someone help. I moved into a old cottage 12months ago and recently noticed that the cottage doesnt have Fascia or Soffit boards at the back of the house. As the roof overhangs the external walls there is no issue with water getting into the loft and any exposed eaves look in good condition.

Please could anyone confirm whether a house "needs" Fascia & Soffits or is this more of a decorative issue?

Many thanks for any help

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It depends on the design of the roof edge. 1800s cottage might have been intended to not have them in the first place (especially at the back, for cheapness).

If it's not a problem it doesn't need anything doing.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • ukamber1
    Options
    It depends on the design of the roof edge. 1800s cottage might have been intended to not have them in the first place (especially at the back, for cheapness).

If it's not a problem it doesn't need anything doing.

Many thanks for your reply. I've always lived in "newer" properties where Fascia and soffits came as standard, so wasnt sure if the lack of, might cause any future issues...

Kind regards
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    Options
    What does your survey say about it?
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    If it's been okay without since the 1800s, I wouldn't worry about it!
  • ukamber1
    Options
    Niv wrote: »
    What does your survey say about it?

Survey didnt flag up any issues just the general "non urgent" maintenance work, that you often expect with older properties...All the beams were treated in the last 10 years and came with a 30yr cert of guarantee so not overly concerned with the roof as a whole just didnt know if any members of the forum have/had similar issue with their "old" property and whether they decided to fit fascia/soffits or just leave the roof with open eaves (no fascia/soffits)

thanks
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your conservation officer is going to have an opinion on whether there should be fascia and soffits or not if the house is listed. It isn't exactly your decision to make.

All houses need ventilation to the woodwork, the key is to insulate appropriately beneath it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ukamber1
    edited 23 May 2018 at 8:45AM
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Your conservation officer is going to have an opinion on whether there should be fascia and soffits or not if the house is listed. It isn't exactly your decision to make.

All houses need ventilation to the woodwork, the key is to insulate appropriately beneath it.

Hi Doozergirl,

Thanks for your reply...Conservation officer? This is where it gets confusing...Next door had the same issue and when they extended their property, the conservation officer told them to "add" fascia and soffits even tho it wasnt part of the original design of the house. (they felt it would "look" better) Fascia's were fitted at the front of my property before it became grade 2 listed, so everything is fine in that regard....As this is at the back of the property I'm less concerned with the "look" just want to do what is best long term for the property?
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    If you want to add fascia now, you will need to seek permission. It doesn't matter what has been there in the past. The conservation officer's job is to preserve the property too so it's their opinion you need to seek.
  • ukamber1
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    If you want to add fascia now, you will need to seek permission. It doesn't matter what has been there in the past. The conservation officer's job is to preserve the property too so it's their opinion you need to seek.

Agree....I think the only thing I wasnt sure about is that I just didnt want to apply to have them done if it would benefit the health of the property more to keep it as it is (if that makes sense) I'm a terrace and the attached properties (also grade 2 listed) have been allowed to have them fitted but I just didnt know if a normal house should or should not have them...

thanks
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    ukamber1 wrote: »
    Agree....I think the only thing I wasnt sure about is that I just didnt want to apply to have them done if it would benefit the health of the property more to keep it as it is (if that makes sense) I'm a terrace and the attached properties (also grade 2 listed) have been allowed to have them fitted but I just didnt know if a normal house should or should not have them...

thanks

If the underside of the roof is dry then the soffit and fascia are largely cosmetic. What is absolutely essential is that the new ones still allow for plenty of ventilation. Any change to an old house can affect the way it behaves so do ensure that they are correctly designed and installed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure