Pet Insurance guide discussion area

Comments

• PhiltheBear
    PhiltheBear Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post
    Things to consider -
    a) Your cat is 8. You won't find many companies that will take on an animal at that age.
    b) Because your cat is 8 it is now more likely to suffer from chronic illnesses, which means that any paying out is likely to be long term. Therefore, it is very likely that both premiums and excesses will increase more than you've been used to.
    c) If you want to stay with the best (and Pet Plan are the best) consider moving to the Coop for a bit less cover (Pet Plan by another name).
    d) If your cat has has ANY treatment it will be excluded from cover by ALL other companies.
    Good luck.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Remember when you get quotes for a new policy you get a discount which will not apply in future years so there can be quite an increase the second year. for example Coop advertise 20% discount on the first year's premuim so the second year the premium will increase by 20% plus any additional annual increase in premium

Petplan do not increase your premium if you make a claim. Most other companies do.

Read any policy document carefully to make sure you know what you are covered for.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks PhiltheBear, definitely makes a good case for Petplan. I think my vet is actually an advocate for Petplan as well so hopefully the claim process is good. Thankfully I've not had any need to take her there apart from the routine things, no long term illnesses or ongoing treatments at the moment.
    Things to consider -
    a) Your cat is 8. You won't find many companies that will take on an animal at that age.
    b) Because your cat is 8 it is now more likely to suffer from chronic illnesses, which means that any paying out is likely to be long term. Therefore, it is very likely that both premiums and excesses will increase more than you've been used to.
    c) If you want to stay with the best (and Pet Plan are the best) consider moving to the Coop for a bit less cover (Pet Plan by another name).
    d) If your cat has has ANY treatment it will be excluded from cover by ALL other companies.
    Good luck.
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sheramber wrote: »
    Remember when you get quotes for a new policy you get a discount which will not apply in future years so there can be quite an increase the second year. for example Coop advertise 20% discount on the first year's premuim so the second year the premium will increase by 20% plus any additional annual increase in premium

Petplan do not increase your premium if you make a claim. Most other companies do.

Read any policy document carefully to make sure you know what you are covered for.

Thanks sheramber, I must admit I half think it's 'better the devil you know' in that my policy is meant to be very good. I did change policies with Petplan a couple of years back to save a few quid and there was the uncomfortable delay before a claim could be made.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    martyp wrote: »
    Thanks sheramber, I must admit I half think it's 'better the devil you know' in that my policy is meant to be very good. I did change policies with Petplan a couple of years back to save a few quid and there was the uncomfortable delay before a claim could be made.

Yes, if you change the cover it is treated as a new policy

If your cat has no pre existing conditions, including anything you consulted your vet about even if no treatment was given, then you could cancel your existing policy and start a new one online .
    You may find it is cheaper.

But agin you have the exclusion period at the beginning.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,600 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    You get a new policy but don't cancel the old one until the exclusion period is over.

There is a risk that something will arise and you'll then be tied to old insurer. But still you'll be covered.

It's perfectly legal, as long as you don't try and claim on both policies for the same event!
  • Pauleb80
    Pauleb80 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sheramber wrote: »

This is one of my big fears. My other half is keen on a lifetime policy however my concern with that is that once you claim you become trapped with that provider....and therefore a hostage to whatever premium they want to charge. The cynic in me thinks they'll ramp the premium up year after year knowing they have you trapped. Are you saying that whilst most companies do this Petplan don't? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • PhiltheBear
    First Post
    Pet Plan don't increase premiums based on your claims. But that doesn't mean to say they don't increase premiums. They may do so every year on the basis of inflation or other overall business pressures and in particular when your pet gets to be 8 (I think it's 8 but it's around there) they may increase the premium because at around that point your pet will become more likely to suffer from chronic illness. In general, however, Pet Plan are probably the best company to deal with.
  • Pauleb80
    Pauleb80 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pet Plan don't increase premiums based on your claims. But that doesn't mean to say they don't increase premiums. They may do so every year on the basis of inflation or other overall business pressures and in particular when your pet gets to be 8 (I think it's 8 but it's around there) they may increase the premium because at around that point your pet will become more likely to suffer from chronic illness. In general, however, Pet Plan are probably the best company to deal with.

Many thanks, that's helpful to know. I've seen lots of reference to Co-op being the same as Pet Plan in all but name (albeit slightly cheaper). Is it considered that the same would apply or would that Pet Plan premium likely give a better customer experience.
  • PhiltheBear
    First Post
    No difference in the way they are handled. It's simply that one carries the Co-op brand name.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback