Can I get a complete financial hist back to 1988

Hi,

Firstly, I hope I am not re-asking a question that has been asked before, as I couldn't find a link to it if I am.

But I wanted to know if there is any one place that I could write to/pay for a complete financial history back to 1988?

I know it may be an obvious question for somebody like me that would struggle to remember the precise dates of when any PPI was mis-sold. I had always taken out PPI as it was always mis-sold to me as a must. In one case the 'advisor' actually said "if you don't take it out - you won't get the loan".

If not can I go back to any financial institution (ie previous banks/building societies) that I had used in the past and ask them to provide me with statements of the period I was a customer? After all isn't keeping statements from nearly 30 years too much to ask people to have done?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• There's no one place. Your credit files show the last 6 years.

You can ask any lender if they have details, but remember that they should have destroyed the data once it was no longer needed.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But I wanted to know if there is any one place that I could write to/pay for a complete financial history back to 1988?

No. Your data is not in the public domain and is not shared.
    In one case the 'advisor' actually said "if you don't take it out - you won't get the loan".

If you used an adviser then it is unlikely to have been missold. Adviser cases account for under 1% of PPI complaints and the majority are rejected. The issue with PPI is mostly bank clerk sold and card provider sales. None of which used advisers.
    If not can I go back to any financial institution (ie previous banks/building societies) that I had used in the past and ask them to provide me with statements of the period I was a customer?

It will cost you £10 per firm and you may not get statements. They are only required to supply data that they currently hold on you. Data gets culled over time.
    After all isn't keeping statements from nearly 30 years too much to ask people to have done?

I have all mine from May 1988. All scanned and kept electronically. I have a better record of transactions than my bank.

Most banks will cull statements between 6-10 years.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • After all isn't keeping statements from nearly 30 years too much to ask people to have done?
    Indeed, that's why banks don't keep them that long either...
  • Thank you for your help.
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I received my bank statements back to !984 from my bank following a lengthy battle. The first 15 years were retrieved from microfiche and the rest were straightforward copies of the originals.

I've found its easier to get older records if you are still a customer but almost impossible if your account was closed before 2001. All you can do is phone them to ask or send a DSAR.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure