Car loan long story

Hello

I am looking for advice. Long story but relationship has ended a while ago and I am left with a mess. Took out a car loan for about 10 grand in my name, insurance is in my name tax in my name the whole lot in my name. Ex partner was not working and did not pay for any of it. His disappeared with car and can’t get car back it doesn’t pay for any of it and never has. Yea stupid I know but I’ve had hell from this man who has lied to me from day one. Basically a lying drug addict with one hell of a past I did not know about. Yip live and learn and I am suffering the emotional and mental scars of being with a mentally abuse lying partner. I have asked for the car back over and over but get no where, his above the law so threats of police have no affect. Police are not interested. Any ideas what can I do.... and not do. I am sick of it all and want away from it all.

Please some friendly supportive advice is what I need

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Is the car itself registered in your name?
  • Yea everything is in my name
  • Have you replied to the police as stolen? Like, properly dialled 999 and told you'd like to report a stolen vehicle?

Do it now.

Taken without consent is a crime. ANPR should pick the car up song enough, if he still has it.
  • I was told the police wouldn’t get involved. The stupid thing is we are married.... I never thought I would be one of those women who fell for a liar. know it sounds stupid but I’m worried about what happens if I phone the police. I didn’t know about his past and real life when we got married :(
  • Maybe the only thing to do is phone police. I feel stupid and ashamed
  • Reb2016
    Reb2016 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Please don’t feel stupid and ashamed, it’s easy to get caught by a liar, and I’m speaking from personal experience here.
    I would ring the police and report it as stolen, as that is what it is, it’s your car and he has taken it without your consent.
    Reb
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't ring 999 as it's not an emergency. If the police won't do anything then you need to go to court. Considering you're married it could be considered a marital asset. Therefire it might be best to see a solicitor to discuss how to handle the splitting of marital assets and debts.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 3 December 2017 at 12:10AM
    Think of it this way
    You buy a car
    You pay the tax and insurance.
    The car "vanishes"
    Who you gonna call. Ghostbusters? Of course not.
    Ring the police and report it as stolen.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The fact it was a marital asset makes a difference. It is possibly a civil dispute rather than a criminal one and the courts decide civil disputes rather than the police.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q830.htm
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Is the car the only financial/emotional issue between you?

No house?
    No children?

If it is, you may benefit from a free 30 minute session with a solictor.
    But be prepared.
    Write a list of questions.
    Don't deviate into going on about his drug-taking or other bad qualities - you need to maximise the advice you get in that short time and that would only waste time.
    Give the solicitor the full story. e.g. you didn't say you were married until your second post - this fact may change the advice you get.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport