PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Indemnity insurance loft conversion

Options

Comments

• pma13
    pma13 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    1) Spec in 2007 when the conversion was done? Or current Building Regs spec? You could argue the former is reasonable. The latter is not.

2) Surveyor has clearly done a thorough inspection since he was prepared to write "he's not concerned over safety ". So which aspects are below the relevant spec? That obviously affects what costs you might/might not reasonably discuss. You can't jst pick a vague cost out of the air.

Well I think I've downplayed what he actually said .... The surveyor hasn't got concerns around support but advises we will need works doing to upgrade ie windows, fire doors , stairs unlikely be fire rated, no mains operated fire alarms etc fire escape inadequate, minimal evidence of thermal insulation provisions beneath sloping ceiling and minimal evidence of quilt loft insulation behind low height knee walls at room edges.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So in other words it just doesn't meet current specs. None of those things you listed were required when the loft conversion was done.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My main concern would be whether the joists are adequately supported to take the weight of furniture and whether you could get out in a fire.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    My main concern would be whether the joists are adequately supported to take the weight of furniture and whether you could get out in a fire.

Depending on the age of the house I would be more concerned about the 1st floor joists rotting away. The original house would not have any building regs and would fail most current regs and current fire regulations. The loft floor may well be the best built in the house.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    Options
    But if buyers all expected sellers to bring their entire homes up to building regs standards then things would be so much better!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    But if buyers all expected sellers to bring their entire homes up to building regs standards then things would be so much better!

If the sellers complied it would reduce number of posts on this board by 50%
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And increase house prices by how much?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quite.

In 1851 when my house was built, they laid very shallow and inadequate foundations. These are way below the requirements of today's Building Regulattions.

So naturally, when I come to sell, I shall demolish my 150 year old stone house, re-dig the foundations properly so that they will last, and then re-consruct the house to full BR standards.

That way the buyer will have no cause for complaint and my sale will go much more smoothly.

I intend to recoup the cost of this from the original cowboy builders
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Why not include IEE regs as well or even all standards?

Owners could be in a constant state of chasing the latest standards to update their properties.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    Options
    Some things such as loft conversions bring out the fear in people! Daily Mail headlines may be to blame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure