Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think it's nearer £50, tbh, not on the website at present.
    Mine is a Krups Pixie Clips. The Aldi machines got very mixed reviews, but perhaps the next time they sell one, improvements will have been made.

I love the Aldi capsules, which seem to all work well with my machine.

Yea the Columbian n Brazilian ones are fab 😛
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    What's the best/cheapest Nespresso machine you can buy? I'm fed up with the cost of Tassimo pods continually rising and there aren't any cheap substitutes, unlike Nespresso.

Had you considered a bean to cup machine? Hugely cheaper to buy beans instead of any of the pods, and the machines pay for themselves in a pretty short time.

This one's down to £198.99 at the moment, and I can vouch for its performance and reliability - extremely well reviewed too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Magnifica-Espresso-Cappuccino-ESAM4200/dp/B001EOMZ5E/

(De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Coffee Machine ESAM4200 - Silver)
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I also drink the Costa coffee (Americano) so is there anything similar tasting in the Nespresso range?

There are so many different coffees from Nespresso it's hard to say. There are about 4 or 5 ones that i buy regularly but i don't drink Costa coffee so can't compare them. My son is the Costa fan ! Visit a Nespresso store, you can try them all before you buy. I like my trips to the stores as i like to try different ones from time to time and i take my used pods back.

Bean to cup machines are good but i like the simplicity of using the pods, no mess, nothing to clean, the pods are recycled by Nespresso, you get a recycling bag and just take them back to the store. They'll collect them if you order from them or you can drop them off at selected other stores.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was in Spain on holiday this year and was fascinated with the jamon - all the carving and attention paid to it, knife-sharpening etc was very impressive. It would have been very difficult to take home though.

Went to Lidl today and they have a 6.5kg one, with a stand for £29.99. I rashly bought one and had some for lunch. I'm now getting grumbled at because it is taking up a lot of space on the worktop - but its a cracking deal if you can work your way through a whole one in the next few weeks!
  • A bit of a messy buy, I like to use baby lotion for skin cleansing, and as Aldi doesn't stock it, I tried Lidl's own brand.
    The lotion is thin, as the bottle isn't heavy duty plastic either, just holding the bottle whilst opening it has resulted in a mini-eruption each time, so far. The store I was in had Johnson's on the shelves as well, which is unusual. Had others said 'This is carp, can you stock Johnson's?' I wonder?
    The lotion will probably be used up quite quickly given the speed it comes out of the bottle at, and the amount that's landed on the floor up to now.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bouquet of 10 pink roses, DW reported as costing £2. Very good quality. They've lasted a week till the next Aldi trip.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    buglawton wrote: »
    Bouquet of 10 pink roses, DW reported as costing £2. Very good quality. They've lasted a week till the next Aldi trip.
    The roses are nice. In the summer I buy them with a bunch of gladioli in a complimentary shade, and the display looks quite stunning.

I must thank the local Aldi for letting me come and go and take their deep produce boxes as I please. They are perfect for stacking books in.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    [Christmas Ice Cream Bites from Aldi]
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Now I have cracked into them, I can confirm that they are small and taste ok, its the novelty and convenience of having them that accounts for the price. My 2-yo niece had been asking for strawberry ice-cream, andenjoyed them. According to my sister, it was like eating double cream but I don't agree. Aside from the presentation, there was nothing special about this ice-cream.

I finally got hold of the Marc de Champagne flavour, and they are delicious. They definitely need to be left to thaw slightly, and the flavour and texture are not as good straight from the freezer.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hardly surprising I guess, but milk (4 pints) has now increased from 99p to £1.09.
    Stompa
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 12:58PM
    Stompa wrote: »
    Hardly surprising I guess, but milk (4 pints) has now increased from 99p to £1.09.

Still 99p in ASDA & ICELAND
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport