Do I have to inform insurance company?

Options
I am considering getting rear parking sensors on my little Mazda 2. It has had a black box fitted already and I want to know if I should inform the insurance company of an adaptation such as this?
Many thanks
Wilkies5

Comments

• rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check your policy wording, but most insurers will want to know about any modifications...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Speak to them first otherwise you may end up with a large bill and no insurance. Lots of insurers do not like modified cars.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could just not mention it and no one would know. If queried, (unlikely), you could just say,oh they were fitted when i bought it.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You could just not mention it and no one would know. If queried, (unlikely), you could just say,oh they were fitted when i bought it.
    Take care over this advice.

Your policy will require you to notify modifications and lying to insurers is never a good idea - especially following a claim when it is likely any undeclared modifications come to light

This would allow the insurer to void the claim and the policy. If a third party was involved and you were liable, although your insurer would deal with the third party claim they would then turn their sights on you to reimburse them.

A cancelled policy on your record is bad news
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    We hear you quentin but really the truth is that insurance cos are in the business of making money and will do their best not to pay it out. I guess a definition of a modification would be good.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I guess a definition of a modification would be good.
    Noticed recently that just about anything is regarded as a mod by some companies.

No more go-faster-stripes or STP stickers . . .:cool:
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    Noticed recently that just about anything is regarded as a mod by some companies.

No more go-faster-stripes or STP stickers . . .:cool:

What about a yellow flower sticker on the boot of your micra?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    ..... I guess a definition of a modification would be good.
    Moneysupermarkets:

A car modification is a change made to a vehicle so that it differs from the manufacturer’s original factory specification.
  • societys_child
    Options
    What about a yellow flower sticker on the boot of your micra?
    Ohh, I'm not sure, what does it symbolise?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure