Invited to compliance interview (benefit fraud)

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I'm assuming the prescription part is on the wrong thread.

Anyway, the DWP can access banks when they suspect fraud. There's fraud going on, big style. Maybe they got a report. Or info regarding the inheritance.

There's no defence to it. You can't just say 'why were you looking in my secret bank account with wads of cash in!?'
  • Gaz1971
    Gaz1971 Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    They can't just look at your account without your permission or a court order.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Gaz1971 wrote: »
    They can't just look at your account without your permission or a court order.

Not true. Fraud investigators can request that authorised officers within the DWP request bank statements under the Social
    Security Fraud Act. This can only be done as part of a criminal Investigation & does not require a court order
  • Gaz1971
    dippy3103 wrote: »
    Not true. Fraud investigators can request that authorised officers within the DWP request bank statements under the Social
    Security Fraud Act. This can only be done as part of a criminal Investigation & does not require a court order

And who do they make the request to, exactly?
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    And who do they make the request to, exactly?

The requests are dealt with authorised officers working within an intelligence unit. These requests go direct to the financial institution concerned.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-security-fraud-code-of-practice-on-obtaining-information
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

There is a whole rook of information that can be obtained using the act. Hence why more people are getting caught.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    If this is an inheritance, I understand that benefits departments regularly check probate records anyway. It may simply be that it has taken then tome to catch up with the OP.

OP, it isn't a matter of "how many agencies will they share their information with". It's a matter of the fact that you have lied about your circumstances to them all. You failed to disclose the inheritance. So the amount you will owe is the amount you have defrauded from all of them. Because regardless of whether they are informed, if you carry on then you are still committing fraud and will get caught eventually, but at that point you won't have any opportunity to claim that you didn't know you had to declare the inheritance - which is a thin excuse at the best of times, but only works once! You need to remember that this is something that you could go to prison for, and intent is a big factor in criminal cases.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm assuming the prescription part is on the wrong thread.

You're right. I'm helping someone who mixed up which type of ESA he was on - thought he was on CB but was on IR and had gone over the capital limits and got my replies mixed up.

He's lost out both ways because he paid all his health care costs but also went over the capital limit and has to pay money back. :(

While people are pursued to pay if they wrongly claim free prescriptions, etc, they don't repay if you paid when you were entitled to free health care.
  • Gaz1971
    The requests are dealt with authorised officers working within an intelligence unit. These requests go direct to the financial institution concerned.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-security-fraud-code-of-practice-on-obtaining-information

Ok, but how do they find out in the first place? There have been a few threads recently about people getting letters but nobody seems to know how they were caught out in the first place.
  • ceecee1
    ceecee1 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Ok, but how do they find out in the first place? There have been a few threads recently about people getting letters but nobody seems to know how they were caught out in the first place.

But that would be telling wouldn't it !

There are numerous ways that the DWP are informed about potential fraudulent claims - the vast majority are not from people phoning the hotline
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure