Tesco Bank

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Text & email received 05.28😨 Disturbed by vibrating phone & being a curious badger, I spent 20 minutes on hold to the Credit Card number.

A fraudulent transaction of £4.17 had gone through but a much larger one was blocked. Like others I've never used my debit card on either of my current accounts.

Fraud department will phone 'in the next day or two', card will be cancelled but my other account is unaffected but I will monitor closely.

It's going to be a very long day.:(
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,719
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It would appear there has been a serious breach of security at Tesco Bank. Like many others I received a message, and I appear to have £66 missing (difference between Balance and Available Balance). I have been on hold since 6am.

Looking on Twitter and Facebook, it seems many others are affected too.

This is really quite poor and if they have been subject to a security breach they should put a message on the phone, website etc rather than having hundreds of customers spending hours on the phone to log individual claims.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Sounds like there may have been a data breach at a retailer somewhere (rather than at Tesco itself). It has happened before (with credit cards):

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2016/02/credit-cards-cancelled-after-mystery-online-shopping-data-breach

Although some people reporting here they have never used their cards??
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,128
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    mt99 wrote: »
    Sounds like there may have been a data breach at a retailer somewhere (rather than at Tesco itself). It has happened before (with credit cards):

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2016/02/credit-cards-cancelled-after-mystery-online-shopping-data-breach

Many of us, myself included, have never used our Tesco debit cards so how can a retailer be involved?
  • TheBanker
    Forumite
    mt99 wrote: »

I suspect a lot of people here never use their Tesco cards, just keeping a £3k balance to earn the 3% interest.

If this was a retailer issue, then it would follow that other banks would also be affected. But all the commentary on Social Media that I've seen is about Tesco current accounts.

I think their Social Media team start at 8am so hopefully they'll get their act together and post something.

It seems to me that whatever has happened, Tesco's management team don't have a very good plan to deal with problems out of hours - at the very least they should stop sending out their fraud alerts (given nobody can respond) and put something on social media so people aren't spending hours of their weekend worrying and trying to get through to the helpline. Even on their own community forum there is no official comment from Tesco*.

(*Disclaimer - I helped write a procedure to deal with a similar scenario at another bank, and we can update our website and social media out of hours now if the Call Centre managers report some kind of problem)
  • TheBanker
    Forumite
    Their Twitter guy has turned up and posted the usual "good morning everyone" tweet, seemingly oblivious to whatever's going on.

Anyone on twitter might want to drop @tescobankhelp a tweet instead of waiting on hold?
  • inchindown
    inchindown Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2016 at 8:13AM
    I got text this morning from the fraud department. Double checked the number they gave on the main Tesco website before calling. Number appeared genuine. Gave up after 1 hour on hold.

No strange transactions on my credit or current accounts. Never use the debit card for purchases and have never given it to anyone as far as I know. Only ever used it to withdraw money from cash machine.

As a precaution I moved all my money out of the Tesco account to one of my other accounts.

Very poor show from Tesco. There should be some form of statement on their website about this as it appears to be a major security breach on a large number of accounts.
  • TheBanker
    Forumite
    inchindown wrote: »
    No strange transactions on my credit or current accounts. Never use the debit card for purchases and have never given it to anyone as far as I know.

Check the balance - I can't see a transaction yet but my Available balance is £66 less than it should be. This implies there is a pending card transaction, which hasn't settled yet and is presumably what triggered the fraud alert.
  • TheBanker wrote: »
    Check the balance - I can't see a transaction yet but my Available balance is £66 less than it should be. This implies there is a pending card transaction, which hasn't settled yet and is presumably what triggered the fraud alert.

The available balance was correct in my case. No sign of any pending transactions that I don't know about.
  • I've moved all money out my Tesco accounts but am £242 down on one of my current accounts. It shows a balance of £242 and available balance of £0.90. I t won't let me move the £242. All other funds moved out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure