Rattan Garden Furniture sets: do they really survive if left outside all year?

Options
pinksprout
pinksprout Posts: 100 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
In order to take advantage of the sensationally sunny summer we are going to have (:D) I am currently looking to purchase new garden furniture. Can anyone advise me whether pvc rattan furniture can really survive a year round outdoor existence with minimal maintenance? Many thanks.

Comments

• pinksprout
    Options
    Sorry to bump my post but can anyone please offer an opinion about the endurance qualities (or otherwise) of rattan furniture. Has yours survived a winter or two unscathed? I'm concerned that even with a protective cover the furniture will get dirty and be tiresome to keep clean? If you own any rattan what's your experience? Many thanks.
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Options
    Anything rattan will go mouldy if damp and I can't see even garden furniture coverings stopping all moisture getting in.
    I would think the frosts we've had would'nt help either.
    Our last conservatory was always heated day and night but the rattan furniture nearest the walls somehow managed to get mouldy and that was indoors with plenty of ventilation.
    I certainly would'nt risk leaving rattan outside all through the winter though.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought the main problem with rattan is the numerous nooks and crannies that can hold little pockets of water and dirt.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • pinksprout
    Options
    Anything rattan will go mouldy if damp and I can't see even garden furniture coverings stopping all moisture getting in.
    I would think the frosts we've had would'nt help either.
    Our last conservatory was always heated day and night but the rattan furniture nearest the walls somehow managed to get mouldy and that was indoors with plenty of ventilation.
    I certainly would'nt risk leaving rattan outside all through the winter though.

Thank you for your comments MrsTittleMouse; this is exactly my concern. However, outdoor rattan furniture is widely sold by many garden furniture retailers and the manufacturers claim: "Made from fully weatherproof PVC rattan, this maintenance free set can be left outdoors all year round. The pvc rattan is hand woven over a rust resistant frame and the whole set is designed to live outdoors all year round. Any dust or dirt can be easily washed off with a hose pipe or power washer. It is also UV light resistant to ensure that the coloured rattan does not fade in the sunlight." "Our all weather wicker is a fully dyed polyethylene based fibre that is uv, mould and mildew resistant. It is also non toxic and recyclable, and cleans easily with just soap and water. The woven resin itself is extremely flexible, strong and durable." Impressive marketing!

I'm just having trouble believing these claims which is why I am asking! Thank you for sharing your experience. I am assuming, however, that outdoor rattan furniture isn't made from the same material is indoor 'conservatory style' rattan. Do you happen to recall if your furniture was manufactured for outdoor as well as indoor use? Thanks again.
  • pinksprout
    Options
    27col wrote: »
    I would have thought the main problem with rattan is the numerous nooks and crannies that can hold little pockets of water and dirt.

Yes, thank you for your thoughts, this is precisely my concern too ... but I suppose I'm hoping someone will come along and persuade me otherwise :D
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PVC rattan as far as I know is different to the normal stuff used for indoor furniture so possibly can be left outside.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • pinksprout
    Options
    PVC rattan as far as I know is different to the normal stuff used for indoor furniture so possibly can be left outside.

Thanks toomuchdebt. Yes pvc rattan is presumably manufactured particularly for outdoor use. Even so, as you can tell, I am sceptical that it really can be revived each summer with just a little hosing down - even if it has sheltered under a cover during the winter months. I guess that's why I was hoping for some feedback and/or reassurance from anyone who has previously purchased outdoor rattan.

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate you taking time to reply :)
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have any experience personally, but I've seen this type of synthetic rattan outdoor furniture on holiday abroad where cafes have outdoor tables etc, it looks very smart and is smooth to the touch not like natural wicker type rattan, but you probably know that anyway.

As it's made from pvc/plastic type material then it would be very different from the natural type. Normal pvc/plastic garden furniture will get dirty if left outside over winter but a good clean should bring it back OK. Synthetic rattan wouldn't be as easy to clean but I would imagine a bucket of soapy water, or even bio washing powder perhaps, and a soft brush, followed by a hose down could bring it up well enough. If mould grows on normal pvc garden furniture then it would grow on synthetic rattan, if it doesn't then I can't see it growing on the synthetic type.

Is this information of help, or this?

Obviously anyone selling it will extol the virtues of their product, and it's good to be sceptical (I'm the world's worst!), but if I was buying outdoor furniture I would definitely be considering it, and it's so much nicer than the old type of "patio sets".
  • pinksprout
    Options
    TomsMum the comments in your post and the two links you kindly included are extremely helpful and informative. Thank you so much for taking time to reply. Having read the two articles I have concluded that I am probably too sceptical and suspicious for my own good! :laugh:
    Thanks again.
  • philljp
    philljp Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Im actually looking for a set myself, as its very smart. Im looking at a set like this:

http://www.designhomeandgarden.com/alderley-large-rattan-garden-corner-sofa-black.ir?cName=garden-outdoor-living-rattan-garden-furniture

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RATTAN-GARDEN-FURNITURE_W0QQitemZ260508765717QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_GardenFurnitureR2_SM?hash=item3ca7884e15

I think due to their price, and that i think they are fairly new not many people have them yet to comment. My biggest concern would be the colour fading, and the material stretching. Cleaning off some dirt wouldn't be a problem at all with a pressure washer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure