FCA: DB transfer advice shouldn't cost more than £3,500

Comments

• sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Dasa wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with a company called Pension Works? They've quoted me £500 to look into transferring a deferred DB amount of £48,000 TV and £3000 for doing the transfer if they think it worthwhile.

Don't know anything about them. But it seems to be heavily in their interests to recommend a transfer whether it's the right thing for you or not.
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Is an article from last July. Matters have moved on since then.

Add CPi at 1.4%?
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,009 Forumite
    sandsy wrote: »
    Don't know anything about them. But it seems to be heavily in their interests to recommend a transfer whether it's the right thing for you or not.

I agreed, it should be the same price regardless of the outcome of the result to avoid a conflict of interests.
  • Andrew31
    Andrew31 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    FCA know nothing about IFAs. SO many stopping DB transfers because even at £5k, its just not worth it.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    They've quoted me £500 to look into transferring a deferred DB amount of £48,000 TV and £3000 for doing the transfer if they think it worthwhile.
    Seems like the figures are the wrong way around .
    Doing the analysis if whether it is a good idea to transfer or not is the expensive bit . The actual transfer is the easy bit and you could do it yourself if you wanted.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JoeCrystal wrote: »
    I agreed, it should be the same price regardless of the outcome of the result to avoid a conflict of interests.

Based on people asking about DB transfers on here, customers seem to want a positive recommendation. Are they going to be happy having to pay £3.5k for a negative recommendation?
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,009 Forumite
    Andy_L wrote: »
    Based on people asking about DB transfers on here, customers seem to want a positive recommendation. Are they going to be happy having to pay £3.5k for a negative recommendation?

They are paying for advice. Not for the positive or negative recommendation.
  • JoeCrystal wrote: »

If the outcome makes no difference to the fee then, by the same token, it is heavily in the interest of the adviser to provide a negative recommendation.
  • An IFA has quoted fees of £22,500 + 0.75% per annum ongoing fees to transfer my 3 defined benefit pension pots into a SIPP (of their choosing, not mine). Transfer values amount to just over £500k for the 3 DB pensions.
    How can I find a cheaper IFA?
    I am so stunned at the astronomical costs that I am thinking it would be cheaper to take the IFA exams and advise myself. Does anybody know if this would be allowed or has anybody actually done it?
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    IBunduli wrote: »
    An IFA has quoted fees of £22,500 + 0.75% per annum ongoing fees to transfer my 3 defined benefit pension pots into a SIPP (of their choosing, not mine). Transfer values amount to just over £500k for the 3 DB pensions.
    How can I find a cheaper IFA?
    I am so stunned at the astronomical costs that I am thinking it would be cheaper to take the IFA exams and advise myself. Does anybody know if this would be allowed or has anybody actually done it?

You have a thread on this so no point duplicating on this one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure