It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,272
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Do you know, I even turn off in other showers too. Just come back from swimming and did the same there too. And hotels. Just something I do, always have.

Saves water too, like turning the tap off when brushing teeth. Do you all do that, or leave the tap running?

Maybe I should run a poll?

In other news our washing machine has just met it's maker. It's been in the death throws for a while, but it's now an ex washing machine!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.47% of current retirement "pot" (as at end February 2024)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,719
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My shower is big, i just step out of the spray for a few seconds to soap up. or i put my back to the shower and soap the front etc.
  • I didn't think I would be discussing showering routines when I looked in on here this lunchtime but that's what I do too.

The Oldsage - I'm not sure why you feel lots of people on here are living miserable lives? Perhaps their lives just don't fit with what your idea of an ideal life would be?
    Life is all about choices and there's more than one way of looking at the "you only live once" idea.
  • Sea_Shell
    Forumite
    I didn't think I would be discussing showering routines when I looked in on here this lunchtime but that's what I do too.

The Oldsage - I'm not sure why you feel lots of people on here are living miserable lives? Perhaps their lives just don't fit with what your idea of an ideal life would be?
    Life is all about choices and there's more than one way of looking at the "you only live once" idea.

Personally, I'd rather not have to work until 60. Time is our most valuable commodity, so I'm not spending it at work!! My idea of bliss!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.47% of current retirement "pot" (as at end February 2024)
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2019 at 1:45PM
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather not have to work until 60. Time is our most valuable commodity, so I'm not spending it at work!! My idea of bliss!!

Exactly my sentiments too.

YOLO to me is about carefully assessing the value in everything I spend. You only live once so why waste a valuable resource... and as you say time is the most valuable of all.

There's a tipping point for everyone though and I'm not against the idea of someone wanting a different lifestyle and accepting working longer for it. The key to me is giving yourself the choice.
  • I would assume you both have not raised 4 children then, I have, and I'll tell you what, if I hadn't, I would have been retired way before now. I've paid for driving lessons when each turned 17, then furnished all of them with their first car and first years insurance. I could have put it into my pension, but they would have struggled to commute to jobs etc 😉
    My family have been my biggest expense and my greatest pleasure at the same time.
    Priorities, we all have different ones, but yes, without my four kids, like some of you on here, I'd be long retired with a Ferrari on the drive and a property abroad 😆

Sea Shell, do the shower poll 👍🏼
    One life, get it lived :cool:
  • I would assume you both have not raised 4 children then, I have, and I'll tell you what, if I hadn't, I would have been retired way before now. I've paid for driving lessons when each turned 17, then furnished all of them with their first car and first years insurance. I could have put it into my pension, but they would have struggled to commute to jobs etc 😉
    My family have been my biggest expense and my greatest pleasure at the same time.
    Priorities, we all have different ones, but yes, without my four kids, like some of you on here, I'd be long retired with a Ferrari on the drive and a property abroad 😆

Sea Shell, do the shower poll 👍🏼

I doubt many on here, or anywhere, retired early with Ferrari's on their drives regardless as to how many children they have had.

As with anything there's different ways to look at it... for example, what's better; working hard and earning a good living to give your kids what they want in life, or not earning quite so much and spending more time at home with your kids?
    Its not for anyone else but ourselves to make that decision.
  • Sea_Shell
    Forumite
    I don't want this thread to turn into a "my lifestyle's better than yours" tit for tat.

It's about my journey, and I hoped like minded people would want to follow how I get on, not make me feel I have to justify myself.

I appreciate some have wildly different views as to what they want their retirement to be, so maybe it would be best if they could start a thread for their circumstances, rather than belittle my choices, Rock and Roll as they are!!!

Anyway, I'm curled up on the sofa with a cuppa, watching the Athletics.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You wouldn't want a Ferrari on the drive if you,'ve got four kids. They've only got 2 seats I think.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Children are so difficult to plan for. We are just paying for a school trip at the moment. The trip works out at £300 a day. We would do it ourselves for much less but you have no choice apart from telling them they can't go on it. As a society we will have trouble though if people don't have kids so they can retire early and of course we'll have no workers either. I always feel guilty if some public service doesn't operate because they have no staff. I never complain because I always think it's people like me that have caused the problem.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback