MPGS - What's it Like??

Comments

• Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You could ring APC yourself, but are unlikely to be put through to the correct desk agent. For those slagging them off, it's a little harsh as they are only literally a small team and they deal with the whole of the Army - approving 208s is not their only job by a long stretch! :] Although I will agree that the process does take far too long in some cases for some random reason?
  • Jud546
    Jud546 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Esoog wrote: »
    You could ring APC yourself, but are unlikely to be put through to the correct desk agent. For those slagging them off, it's a little harsh as they are only literally a small team and they deal with the whole of the Army - approving 208s is not their only job by a long stretch! :] Although I will agree that the process does take far too long in some cases for some random reason?

Hi Esoog,

I think you misunderstood, I haven't noticed any posts were anybody has slagged off the APC. They have merely expressed their frustration at how long the application process is taking, plus the fact that (certainly from my point of view) there is no point of contact to find out any progress. Prior to applying for MPGS I was initially told that they were desperate for numbers and it shouldn't take that long to get in-obviously months down the line that doesn't appear to be the case :/

MissKitty, deal.
    Any news on my part and I'll be sure to let you know. And again, good luck.
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jud546 wrote: »
    Hi Esoog,

I think you misunderstood, I haven't noticed any posts were anybody has slagged off the APC. They have merely expressed their frustration at how long the application process is taking, plus the fact that (certainly from my point of view) there is no point of contact to find out any progress. Prior to applying for MPGS I was initially told that they were desperate for numbers and it shouldn't take that long to get in-obviously months down the line that doesn't appear to be the case :/

MissKitty, deal.
    Any news on my part and I'll be sure to let you know. And again, good luck.

Ok, not slagging off, but you know what I mean, I'm sure the underlying sentiment is there. The point of contact should of course be the recruiter dealing with you at the afco, they should be more than able to email or even phone heaven forbid the desk clerks. I've usually found them helpful when I've had to chase something, methinks some recruiters just don't view MPGS as their most important 'cases'.

As for it not taking long, I've seen people get in in a few weeks/month to a candidate who's record has been open for three years now?! It's ridiculous really and it doesn't need to be like that
  • MissKitty
    MissKitty Posts: 89 Forumite
    Esoog wrote: »
    Ok, not slagging off, but you know what I mean, I'm sure the underlying sentiment is there. The point of contact should of course be the recruiter dealing with you at the afco, they should be more than able to email or even phone heaven forbid the desk clerks. I've usually found them helpful when I've had to chase something, methinks some recruiters just don't view MPGS as their most important 'cases'.

As for it not taking long, I've seen people get in in a few weeks/month to a candidate who's record has been open for three years now?! It's ridiculous really and it doesn't need to be like that

Maybe the length of time it takes to get into the MPGS depends on the location you are requesting to be based at, as there may well be no vacancies where you are requesting!!

My husband has put 3 locations down on his application, ranging from 15 minutes away from our home to approx 50 minutes. He said he would take which ever one they offered him first just to get in there then relocate to the nearest one when a vacany became available.

I think that it's the not knowing that's annoying. I appreciate that they must receive alot of applications, but to maybe even receive an email every now and then to let you know that your still in the system and they will contact you when something becomes available, would be good.
  • Sparky29
    Sparky29 Posts: 285 Forumite
    A couple of years ago recruiting was stopped for MPGS. About 9 months ago (approx) they lifted the ban and needed about +400 people. Initially people who applied first got processed quickly but word has spread and they have been inundated with applications so it has slowed to a crawl as they have limited resources - especially if you have a medical condition that requires further investigation.

The process is to complete an RG8 (medical form) and it gets sent off to Glasgow with a B203 by the AFCO/ ACIO. It joins a big pile at APC while they pull your service records and then gets processed by the civil servants (eventually!). When a decision has been made the AFCO/ ACIO gets a reply. They have nothing to do with the process at Glasgow so nagging them will have no effect other than p!ss them off. They know who to phone at APC but it is just a waste of their time because it is just a waiting game and they can't speed up the process.

Because it takes so long and peoples circumstances change always remember to inform the AFCO of a change of address or phone number because if you aren't contactable your application will be withdrawn and you will be back to square one. It isn't up to the AFCO/ ACIO to hunt you down.
  • jojo_the_joyful
    jojo_the_joyful Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2012 at 4:54PM
    Hi all again, just passing through & saw this thread still active. ( Hubby been in MPGS for almost 6 years)

Firstly, when Hubby gets home, I will see if he remembers who he contacted ( nagged) about the MPGS & I will promise to post here with his answer.

Yep he had to wait 4 weeks until he could join the MPGS, but some how they incorporated his training in that 4 weeks.

Re pants pay & promotion & rank.

There is a small rule that means your new wage (MPGS) and army pension can not exceed the total of your last "full time regular" wage, so for old timers, the incentive to get promoted & move about is small. It seems this works out equal for all as the higher the rank, the higher the pension. (Opting in or out does make a difference here). If you do earn more, your pension gets reduced. Sounds very more for less to me. But whilst in the MPGS, your aged 55 pension is added to.

What we have found is that it is the younger guys, those with either no pension or a very small one, who are also "younger & fitter LOL " are the ones who actively seek speedy promotions, and good luck to them, if they are wanting to make a career, The "oldies",s they are being paid to do what they spent 24 years avoiding, but are happy for the non hassle, stability, regularity, familiarity, non stress, and rather relaxed atmosphere.

They still have training days, ranges, and fitness tests, but get about 24 hours to do a BFT:D (13 mins or so).

It really is "Dads Army" LOL but I call my hubby, the "little green man on the gate":eek:
  • MissKitty
    Hi all again, just passing through & saw this thread still active. ( Hubby been in MPGS for almost 6 years)

Firstly, when Hubby gets home, I will see if he remembers who he contacted ( nagged) about the MPGS & I will promise to post here with his answer.

Yep he had to wait 4 weeks until he could join the MPGS, but some how they incorporated his training in that 4 weeks.

Re pants pay & promotion & rank.

There is a small rule that means your new wage (MPGS) and army pension can not exceed the total of your last "full time regular" wage, so for old timers, the incentive to get promoted & move about is small. It seems this works out equal for all as the higher the rank, the higher the pension. (Opting in or out does make a difference here). If you do earn more, your pension gets reduced. Sounds very more for less to me. But whilst in the MPGS, your aged 55 pension is added to.

What we have found is that it is the younger guys, those with either no pension or a very small one, who are also "younger & fitter LOL " are the ones who actively seek speedy promotions, and good luck to them, if they are wanting to make a career, The "oldies",s they are being paid to do what they spent 24 years avoiding, but are happy for the non hassle, stability, regularity, familiarity, non stress, and rather relaxed atmosphere.

They still have training days, ranges, and fitness tests, but get about 24 hours to do a BFT:D (13 mins or so).

It really is "Dads Army" LOL but I call my hubby, the "little green man on the gate":eek:

Hi jojo, thanks for your post.

It's good to hear from someone who has a hubby already in the MPGS.

I didn't know that their wage and pension combined cannot exceed their last army salary, I just asked hubby and he didn't know that either. I guess if you started flying through the ranks you could be raking it in with your wages and a full pension combined so I can see why that is in place. like you say not a good incentive to climb the ranks if your going to be earning too much and you loose some of your pension.

My hubby wants to join for the security of having a job till he is 55 and you can't complain about the benefits that come with it.

It's funny how they spend most of their army career trying to avoid duties only to take it up as a full time job when leaving,needs must when bills are to be paid.:j
  • geord925
    geord925 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Just thought I would drop into this forum. I left the army after 12 years last August and Civvy street seems to have dried up of any decent paid jobs, so I applied for th MPGS in Febuary, and guess what??? still waiting. I have a friend that works in the careers office and he checks on the computer daily to see if anything has come through. At present it just says it my paperwork is in glasgow being processed. I also know that they are trying to get hold of around 400 extra MPGS staff due to being undermanned so can't understand the delay.
    I wish all those who have applied the best of luck and will be sure to add a post if I here anything.
  • MissKitty
    geord925 wrote: »
    Just thought I would drop into this forum. I left the army after 12 years last August and Civvy street seems to have dried up of any decent paid jobs, so I applied for th MPGS in Febuary, and guess what??? still waiting. I have a friend that works in the careers office and he checks on the computer daily to see if anything has come through. At present it just says it my paperwork is in glasgow being processed. I also know that they are trying to get hold of around 400 extra MPGS staff due to being undermanned so can't understand the delay.
    I wish all those who have applied the best of luck and will be sure to add a post if I here anything.

Thanks for your post geord925.

Fingers crossed for you that you hear something soon, it's worrying when there is a lack of decent jobs on the market at the moment.

My husband is going into the careers office today to check in with them as he hasn't been in for a while. I'm sure they would of called him if something came up but it doesn't hurt to ask while he's in the area.

He's not needed at work today (agency job) and it's worrying when that happens. If the process looks like it's going to take too long he's going to look for a permanent job as agency work isn't guaranteed. Mind you my friends husband works in the company next door to where my husband is, he's permanent and all the extra work there has been cut back so the company can make savings, times are so tough.:(
  • MissKitty
    Well, my hubby went into the army careers office yesterday for an update and nothing new to report. His application is in but still pending, so we'll just have to leave it in their hands and get on with life.

There was 3 young lads sitting there waiting to talk to someone about joining the army, they had the most miserable looks on their faces and didn't look too happy to be there. Maybe mum had kicked them out of bed and told them to go and get a career.:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure