Car Accident Caused Injury

About a year ago my boyfriend went into the back of someone at a roundabout. They were both stationary and my boyfriend looked to see if there was a gap then he went assuming she had gone but she hadn't, so it was really low speed. Anyway fast forward and basically she is making an injury claim and she's got solicitors involved. Boyfriends insurance company said they've had to hire solicitors because they've not been able to resolve it. This is causing a great deal of stress and worry for my boyfriend for what was a common minor bump.
So what could happen now? Will he have to pay thousands of pounds and/or go to court? He really doesn't deserve that. It was an accident and he was cooperative with the insurance company afterwards.

Comments

• About a year ago my boyfriend went into the back of someone at a roundabout. They were both stationary and my boyfriend looked to see if there was a gap then he went assuming she had gone but she hadn't, so it was really low speed. Anyway fast forward and basically she is making an injury claim and she's got solicitors involved. Boyfriends insurance company said they've had to hire solicitors because they've not been able to resolve it. This is causing a great deal of stress and worry for my boyfriend for what was a common minor bump.
    So what could happen now? Will he have to pay thousands of pounds and/or go to court? He really doesn't deserve that. It was an accident and he was cooperative with the insurance company afterwards.

No, he was careless but the insurance will cover him.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Why is it causing him stress? Let his insurance deal with it, that's what he pays his premium for.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Because this woman is pushing for more, that's why solicitors are now involved and his insurance company has had to get a solicitor involved. It sounds really serious, we've never been in this situation before.
    So even though solicitors are involved do you think the worst that could happen is his premiums going up?
  • Because this woman is pushing for more, that's why solicitors are now involved and his insurance company has had to get a solicitor involved. It sounds really serious, we've never been in this situation before.
    So even though solicitors are involved do you think the worst that could happen is his premiums going up?

Yes.......
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No more than they were with just a damage claim.

The only entity being scammed here is the insurer.
  • I think it's a scam to be honest. I know you can get injuries in a minor bump, I'm not disputing that, but it's the way she acted it was really suspicious. I said as soon as it happened that she was going to try and rinse him. I just didn't think she'd push it this far
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Crash for cash?
    It's up to the insurers how hard they want to fight it and sometimes it's cheaper for them just to pay out.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • OP my insurance about 12 years ago paid out just shy of £2k for a whiplash claim and all I did was break her tail light, they weren't even interested in fighting it because it was below £2k. I wasn't at all happy and moaned and groaned about it to my insurer to no effect.

This is when you just hope there is such a thing as karma.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    Crash for cash?
    More like "Been in an accident? Call us to find out how you can get compo"
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    OP my insurance about 12 years ago paid out just shy of £2k for a whiplash claim and all I did was break her tail light, they weren't even interested in fighting it because it was below £2k. I wasn't at all happy and moaned and groaned about it to my insurer to no effect.

This is when you just hope there is such a thing as karma.

Folks you cannot go around colliding with the vehicle in front for whatever reason. It's just not ok to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure