Credit Card Fraud

Hello All

Apologies if this is on the wrong board, my partner has discovered today that her credit card has been fraudulently used (it’s not lost or stolen) and her limit has been maxed out.

She’s on the phone to the bank to sort his but I’m worried that this is the 3rd time in the last 2 years that it’s happened so she must be an easy target.

Has anyone experienced this and know where we can turn?

My instinct is her personal information is available somewhere but I don’t know where to start looking.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Sorry, but it would be foolish for anyone to tell you where to look to find compromised personal information, as this forum is open to all and it might create opportunities for unscrupulous individuals to commit fraud.
  • lloydl26
    lloydl26 Posts: 13
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, lets not help people from being a victim of fraud, let's keep it a secret so it can keep happening :T
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,409
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    lloydl26 wrote: »
    Yes, lets not help people from being a victim of fraud, let's keep it a secret so it can keep happening :T
    Perhaps worth bearing in mind that your partner hasn't been the victim of fraud, her bank has (as they're liable for the cost of unauthorised transactions).
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,891
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Change all your passwords, make them difficult (e.g. &lBdWd2$!lht7r~myt| rather than Fred), and don't share them. Never give a date of birth unless absolutely essential (e.g. insurance, where wrong info could invalidate it). Never give mother's maiden name, always invent one you can remember.

I've just changed gas and electricity suppliers and given crazy dates of birth, no problems.

Don't use public wifi for email or banking. Use up to date anti-virus, browsers, OS etc.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,021
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Take it that this is online fraud?
    She is most likely using her card where someone is simply taking card details.

Main thing I say. Is despite it happening 3 times. There is little she can do about it.

Retailers do not background check employees, retailers get compromised.

If her bank think she is involved they will soon find out.

Bank will not lose out. They will reclaim it a=back from retailers
    Life in the slow lane
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    She could try changing to the john lewis partnership card where she will get instant notification by text every time it is used. If she has a smartphone she can install the app which has a freeze card switch she can use when the first fraudulent use text arrives.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,056
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My wife had a letter from Barclaycard Fraud today. It transpires that there were dozens of small items all to Just Eat. All being refunded and new cards issued. Well done Barclaycard.

But how does the fraud work ? Somewhere this needs to be cash related doesn't it ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 17 January 2020 at 6:06PM
    her credit card has been fraudulently used (it’s not lost or stolen) and her limit has been maxed out.
    Can you give further information? Used where? What type of transaction?
    I’m worried that this is the 3rd time in the last 2 years that it’s happened so she must be an easy target.
    Definitely. Perhaps if you gave further information about the manner in which the card has been used we may be able to shed some light on this. It is highly abnormal.
    My instinct is her personal information is available somewhere but I don’t know where to start looking.
    Beyond googling your wife's name and credit card number, can't really suggest where you might look unless you think the information is pinned to a notice board somewhere or something.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 17 January 2020 at 6:03PM
    Robin9 wrote: »
    My wife had a letter from Barclaycard Fraud today. It transpires that there were dozens of small items all to Just Eat. All being refunded and new cards issued. Well done Barclaycard.

But how does the fraud work ? Somewhere this needs to be cash related doesn't it ?
    In your case it would appear that somebody has her card details and has been ordering from Just Eat.
    However, I thought Just Eat were a take-away delivery service so it seems a bit odd that some individual somewhere is having take always delivered to a traceable address somewhere using your wife's card.
    I can't really see how this could be cash related unless you think the purchaser of the take away's is reselling them for cash.
    Does your wife not check her Barclaycard account not to have noticed this herself. It is rather odd to receive a letter detailing this. Normally the credit card company would attempt to contact her to verify if the transactions are genuine or block the card and wait for her to call, not take no action to block the card and send out a letter of this nature.
  • Just eat will offer collections too.

Somewhere the card details have been obtained.

I went through a spate a few years ago. I have definite suspicion where it was being compromised. It may be think through where her card gets used, particularly if there is somewhere the card gets taken away out of sight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure