It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan!!!

I've just demolished a plate of chilli con carne (with minced beef!!!) washed down with a glass of red!! Lovely jubbly!!:beer:

I dont drink 2 days a week. Given we used to have wine 7 nights a week, i feel i am doing well lol.

I have given up sugar, and cut way back on all other carbs. I am allowed some Dark Chocolate (which is the only kind i eat).
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I enjoy a beer / ale, the odd glass of red and a rum or whisky every now and again. Most of the time I can take it or leave it though.
    I haven't had anything alcoholic so far this year despite having plenty left over from Christmas. Perhaps I will this weekend but perhaps I won't I'll see if the mood takes me. I did get to mid April before having a drink a few years ago.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's a funny old business this "living off savings/investments", especially at a time when investments appear to be doing well.

It's hard to feel like you are truly in the "de-accumulation" phase, when the total keeps increasing over and above what you're spending, so you're still "accumulating", on paper!!

I know all this could change tomorrow, and we'll be forced to accept the realities of REAL de-accumulation, but at the moment it feels like a strange limbo.

Worse problems to have, obviously!!

When we got to £500k, we knew that a 3% w/d rate would give us £15k. A "baseline" if you like.

Our 3% is now worth nearly £17k.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • ggmf wrote: »
    There is no proven evidence that 10K is the magic number. An article yesterday suggests that a combination of interval (fast walking) and normal walking exercise is better. Apparently normal walking exercise allows the brain to appreciate your surroundings and notice more, hence is better for your metal health, intervals are better for your cardio well-being. Who to believe?

Having just been out for a walk with DW in the sunshine somewhere with nice views I can definitely say that it's good for mental health. A walk in good surroundings when the sun is out always lifts my mood.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    Having just been out for a walk with DW in the sunshine somewhere with nice views I can definitely say that it's good for mental health. A walk in good surroundings when the sun is out always lifts my mood.

Too right!!

Even a mile round trip to the shop to buy milk, in the sunshine, helps lift the winter blues.

It's so sunny, even our conservatory is warm enough to sit out in today. Lovely to feel the sun on your face.:j
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Although cold doing the ParkRun today, running on the beach into the sunshine with the wind behind us was lovely. I won't mention the cold wind as we ran the other way;)
    The sun makes all the difference. Can totally understand the enticement of long winter holidays in the Sun or even retiring abroad.
    I spend many a Winters evening pricing up holidays.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    We managed a whole half hour sit down in our warm conservatory this afternoon in the lovely sunshine. I have to say that playing hide and seek with the grandchildren warmed us up more though.

Our investments are up too although we are not drawing on them at the moment. We are off to the sunshine ourselves in a months time having treated ourselves to a Caribbean cruise for my 60th birthday. Seems weird that our profit on investments for the last year has effectively paid for that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Our investments are up too although we are not drawing on them at the moment. We are off to the sunshine ourselves in a months time having treated ourselves to a Caribbean cruise for my 60th birthday. Seems weird that our profit on investments for the last year has effectively paid for that.
    I should be smiling as our returns of last year more than paid for OH's new car. Problem being that level of return smacks of a bubble that's about to burst. OH is due to retire at the end of this year and I can't shake the suspicion that our cohort will experience a poor sequence of returns.

Of course, I may just be overanalysing (as usual).
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,872 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    I should be smiling as our returns of last year more than paid for OH's new car. Problem being that level of return smacks of a bubble that's about to burst. OH is due to retire at the end of this year and I can't shake the suspicion that our cohort will experience a poor sequence of returns.

I have that same nagging feeling....but then, I’ve had that feeling for about 18 months now: if I’d moved to cash back then, I’d be a huge % down :rotfl:

Now then.....where did I put that crystal ball :huh:
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,991 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DairyQueen wrote: »

I can't be bothered to look for the stats but I suspect with a safe withdrawal rate model that historically returns exceed withdrawals 5+ years out of every decade -on average - and that is the key bit. If you run cfiresim there are many more run away growth scenarios than close to bust scenarios.
    I think....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure