Postman signing for my signed for parcel

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find anything online relating to my specific incident.

I ordered a camera lens on ebay and paid for royal mail 1st class signed for delivery. At no time during the order did I say it could be left in a safe place and at no time was that option available. I came home today to find a card on my mat saying it was in my greenhouse which it was. I looked online at the tracking page and there was a signature in the box which I do not recognise and assume it is the postman/womans. Below it says it was signed for by my surname only. I can prove nobody was home.

Previous threads seem to be content with accepting post deliverers are under pressure and that this might save the receiver a journey to the delivery office. I'm not so happy. Say the lens was stolen from the greenhouse. How would I have claimed seeing as royal mail were confirming it was received by someone with my surname? I am not talking about a letter going through my mailbox that the postman can confirm was safe which other threads digress on, this parcel was left in a place which is insecure.

Furthermore the tracking page has now removed the image of the signature now I have made a complaint. Luckily I have taken screenshot before this happened should I need them.

Has this kind of incident happened to anyone else? If so how was it resolved?

Comments

• No worries
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    In this case, it turned out fine.

I guess you could write to the Post Office and request that the postie doesn't sign for parcels on your behalf, but that wouldn't stop it happening with other delivery agents.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Its funny how we all differ in how we view this. I only posted last week how my postie signed for a parcel for me and hid it in the garage. When I say hid, he did hide it, not out in plain view, then rang me to let me know what he had done and where it was hidden

I was very happy. It was a phone, it was a Friday before a bank holiday. He knew what it was and guessed Id be wanting it asap

I took it as service above and beyond. A jobsworth would have took it back to the depot and Id have to have waited till the Tuesday before I could get it

But then we all see things differently
  • Would I be in a position to request a refund for the postage, seeing as I didn't get the service I paid for?
  • fb1969
    fb1969 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The postie should not have done this, as a postie myself we are regularly told not to sign for items. You could complain to Royal Mail (not the Post Office, its a separate company) and this should feed back to the individual - but as you received it ok, I would probably do nothing in this instance.

The contract for delivery is between the sender and Royal Mail as they paid them to deliver it. You could contact the sender and point out what had happened and they may or may not complain to Royal Mail themselves. I would think it is unlikely they would refund you (unless they were refunded by Royal Mail).
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    JamoLew wrote: »
    In this case, it turned out fine.

I guess you could write to the Post Office and request that the postie doesn't sign for parcels on your behalf, but that wouldn't stop it happening with other delivery agents.

The Post Office has nothing to do with Royal mail nor delvieries
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Jimtheslim wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find anything online relating to my specific incident.

I ordered a camera lens on ebay and paid for royal mail 1st class signed for delivery. At no time during the order did I say it could be left in a safe place and at no time was that option available. I came home today to find a card on my mat saying it was in my greenhouse which it was. I looked online at the tracking page and there was a signature in the box which I do not recognise and assume it is the postman/womans. Below it says it was signed for by my surname only. I can prove nobody was home.

Previous threads seem to be content with accepting post deliverers are under pressure and that this might save the receiver a journey to the delivery office. I'm not so happy. Say the lens was stolen from the greenhouse. How would I have claimed seeing as royal mail were confirming it was received by someone with my surname? I am not talking about a letter going through my mailbox that the postman can confirm was safe which other threads digress on, this parcel was left in a place which is insecure.

Furthermore the tracking page has now removed the image of the signature now I have made a complaint. Luckily I have taken screenshot before this happened should I need them.

Has this kind of incident happened to anyone else? If so how was it resolved?

You demonstrate perfectly how its shades of grey.
    A signed for letter could have legal ramifications for the intended recipient if it is signed for an delivered.

Its against RM policy however you will get a hundred answers and views on it.
    Now you have complained I doubt your postie will do it again and all items will be safely returned to the depot for you to collect.
    Would I be in a position to request a refund for the postage, seeing as I didn't get the service I paid for?

Serious?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Would I be in a position to request a refund for the postage, seeing as I didn't get the service I paid for?
    custardy wrote: »
    Serious?
    Like fb1969 said....
    You could take that up with the seller - but whether they take you seriously is another matter...
    Equally - the seller could take that up with RM but it's up to them.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • [Its funny how we all differ in how we view this. I only posted last week how my postie signed for a parcel for me and hid it in the garage. When I say hid, he did hide it, not out in plain view, then rang me to let me know what he had done and where it was hidden

I was very happy. It was a phone, it was a Friday before a bank holiday. He knew what it was and guessed Id be wanting it asap

I took it as service above and beyond. A jobsworth would have took it back to the depot and Id have to have waited till the Tuesday before I could get it

But then we all see things differently]

In this scenario the postman was 'guessing' and this doesn't always end well. I know its a pain to make the depot sometimes but I'd rather make sure my item is delivered as per the secure service I was paying for (OK the seller paid and I paid them, but it's still a cost to me).

Like I say, where would I stand if I got home and my parcel was not in the greenhouse and the royal mail is telling me their records show that it was signed for by someone in my name? I guess they would have to reimburse the whole cost of the package? The fact the photo of the signature was removed immediately after lodging my complaint makes it seem like they know they shouldn't be doing this
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

No. You did get the service you paid for which was to have the parcel delivered to you. Besides, as pointed out you didn't have the contract with them.

There's a lot of 'what ifs' in this thread. Ultimately you received the parcel, it saved you a trip to the post office and no harm was done. You really should just forget about it and move on. If you really want to complain do so, but don't expect anything other than an apology.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure