Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • akaanon
    • By akaanon 17th Jun 19, 1:15 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    akaanon
    dismissal
    • 17th Jun 19, 1:15 PM
    dismissal 17th Jun 19 at 1:15 PM
    After hitting the sickness trigger points I have been advised I am to be dismissed. I have been given 5 weeks notice period. My problem is I am now suffering anxiety and stress because of the situation and don't feel capable of going into work to do a job that I am being sacked from. Can my employer force me to come into work
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 17th Jun 19, 1:23 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 10,210 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 17th Jun 19, 1:23 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 1:23 PM
    No they cant force you to work. They can of course and probably will choose to not pay you. And they can sue you for having to hire a replacement due to your breach of contract (its not very common though).

Is the 5 weeks notice in your contract, because it sounds like in this situation its more beneficial to you. I suspect if you asked if you could finish now and not receive any wages, theyd be agreeable. Have you tried?
    Don't be angry!
    • akaanon
    • By akaanon 17th Jun 19, 1:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    akaanon
    • 17th Jun 19, 1:36 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 1:36 PM
    not yet, I am going in today to discuss, I would rather finish just now than have the stress of trying to work and do a job to the best of my ability knowing I am not staying. I just hate feeling sick about having to attend :-(
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Jun 19, 2:27 PM
    • 36,588 Posts
    • 22,528 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th Jun 19, 2:27 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 2:27 PM
    Go to the doctors.

If Dr agrees then if they put you on sick and 5 weeks is because that is statutory notice for working 5years then they should pay at full pay rate not sick pay rate.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 20th Jun 19, 2:38 PM
    • 7,395 Posts
    • 9,661 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 20th Jun 19, 2:38 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 2:38 PM
    If your doctor signs you off as unfit for work then you can call in sick just as you could if you were not in your notice period, and will be paid - whether you get full pay or SSP will depend on your length of service and whether 5 weeks is your statory notice period oe a longer, contractual one

You do however need to see your doctor and get them to sign you off, in accordance with the normal rules for your workplace.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 20th Jun 19, 4:17 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:17 PM
    • 20th Jun 19, 4:17 PM
    How long have you worked at the company?
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 23rd Jun 19, 10:47 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    indianabones
    • 23rd Jun 19, 10:47 AM
    • 23rd Jun 19, 10:47 AM
    not yet, I am going in today to discuss, I would rather finish just now than have the stress of trying to work and do a job to the best of my ability knowing I am not staying. I just hate feeling sick about having to attend :-(
    Originally posted by akaanon

A lot depends on how long you've worked there and your relationship with your employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

2,714Users online

Martin's Twitter