dismissal

Options
After hitting the sickness trigger points I have been advised I am to be dismissed. I have been given 5 weeks notice period. My problem is I am now suffering anxiety and stress because of the situation and don't feel capable of going into work to do a job that I am being sacked from. Can my employer force me to come into work

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No they cant force you to work. They can of course and probably will choose to not pay you. And they can sue you for having to hire a replacement due to your breach of contract (its not very common though).

Is the 5 weeks notice in your contract, because it sounds like in this situation its more beneficial to you. I suspect if you asked if you could finish now and not receive any wages, theyd be agreeable. Have you tried?
  • akaanon
    Options
    not yet, I am going in today to discuss, I would rather finish just now than have the stress of trying to work and do a job to the best of my ability knowing I am not staying. I just hate feeling sick about having to attend :-(
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Go to the doctors.

If Dr agrees then if they put you on sick and 5 weeks is because that is statutory notice for working 5years then they should pay at full pay rate not sick pay rate.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If your doctor signs you off as unfit for work then you can call in sick just as you could if you were not in your notice period, and will be paid - whether you get full pay or SSP will depend on your length of service and whether 5 weeks is your statory notice period oe a longer, contractual one

You do however need to see your doctor and get them to sign you off, in accordance with the normal rules for your workplace.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    How long have you worked at the company?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • indianabones
    Options
    akaanon wrote: »
    not yet, I am going in today to discuss, I would rather finish just now than have the stress of trying to work and do a job to the best of my ability knowing I am not staying. I just hate feeling sick about having to attend :-(

A lot depends on how long you've worked there and your relationship with your employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure