What should we have been told?

We were told in a meeting a week ago, that we are under notice of redundancy. This concerns 18 people. At this meeting we were told in one breath that it was all of us and in the next breath that they may be keeping some on!! The only answer was it would be discussed in the 1 to 1 meetings we would be having.

Since then the only information we have received is a recorded delivery letter for our attendance at a group meeting to discuss alternatives and ways of mitigating redundancy. The date of this has now been changed to a week later and a new letter sent recorded delivery.

Should we have received official confirmation including the time scale and amount of redundancies planned? As it stands we don't know how long they are planning to take to sort it or how many will be made redundant, or can they just leave it open?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Check if they meant notice or consultation.

If notice they should be issuing letters with the package and dates of termination.
  • OhhEnnEmm
    OhhEnnEmm Posts: 56 Forumite
    Have you now received more information following your meeting?

Like getmore4less had said, you should check if they meant notice or consultation.

If you were to be made redundant, then you would be entitled to a notice of termination and you would also have your redundancy rights.

As your employer is potentially making 18 redundancies, it just falls short of the collective redundancy rules, which requires making 20 or more redundancies. This means that there are no rules about how they should carry out the consultations.

Here's some general information about redundancies and consultations.

I hope you're able to get some clarity and sort out the redundancy situation with your employer.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I don't have it to hand but there was a case that now means they can't run notice and consultation in parallel.

Although in practice once the initial consultation has concluded and notice given steps should continue to try and mitigate the situation.
  • farmerboy
    farmerboy Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OhhEnnEmm wrote: »
    Have you now received more information following your meeting?

Like getmore4less had said, you should check if they meant notice or consultation.

If you were to be made redundant, then you would be entitled to a notice of termination and you would also have your redundancy rights.

As your employer is potentially making 18 redundancies, it just falls short of the collective redundancy rules, which requires making 20 or more redundancies. This means that there are no rules about how they should carry out the consultations.

Here's some general information about redundancies and consultations.

I hope you're able to get some clarity and sort out the redundancy situation with your employer.

Basically we still know !!!!!! all even after a 1-1 meeting. We know they're not making all of us redundant but will not say how many are going, and we know that by this time in 2 weeks we'll have had a letter stating whether we've been chosen to stay or not and these will state the terms of redundancy or terms that they will keep us on in.

Some of the lads are getting towards kicking up a fuss as its been so hap hazard how they've run it, personally I just want to know the outcome as I've a couple of possible jobs lined up that I could start pretty much straight away but I'd rather stay where I am (also depends on what pay I'm offered if they want me to stay). Industry wise its rubbish, another firm much bigger that us are starting consultations next week with possibly 100 going there. The scoring system they have used is a joke, one lad scored top marks in something that he cannot do at present due to a medical condition and possibly may never again.

A decent lawyer/union rep would rip them to shreds, but to gain what? another months pay at most, the outcome will still be the same, and knowing the way some of the managers work it'll be held against those that stay (know it shouldn't but what should happen and what happens in the real world of work is very different). Only certain people are finding information and the rest are riding on their coat tails, and only 6 out of the 18 are in a union. I'm fairly confident that I'll be staying, so another part of why I'm not keen to rock the boat.

Other part is they still have a couple of jobs needing finishing so have dragged it out so notice periods will cover this work.

Have learnt some valuable information on the state of the industry and the company through this, and if I stay I have a plan to limit the effect of the inevitable lay off that will come in the medium term. Not a good time at the minute to be layed off as committed to some finance last year when all looked good, plus lies from the company regarding some certification renewals that haven't been done (looking to do them myself as that will aid getting another job quicker)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure