Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Feb 19, 10:57 AM
    • 12,421Posts
    • 14,112Thanks
    Cornucopia
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)
    • 4th Feb 19, 10:57 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) 4th Feb 19 at 10:57 AM
    Hi All,

This is the new Lidl and Aldi buying thread. Please report any good/bad deals, good/bad offers and good/bad products.

I've broadened the scope slightly, so that discussion of customer service issues and experiences won't be off-topic. But please remember that the thread works best when it's the sum of our knowledge about Lidl and Aldi, and not other supermarkets.

Thanks.

The old thread is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5394929
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-02-2019 at 8:36 AM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 8
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 19th Jun 19, 7:04 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I have to agree with your dad unfortunately. I got some last week and, yes, totally bland and tasteless. I was getting their nectarines for a few weeks prior to that and they were lovely.
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    Maybe Iím getting mixed up with peaches and nectarines
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Teahfc
    • By Teahfc 19th Jun 19, 8:01 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    Teahfc
    Dad says the peaches on offer in Aldi this week are bland/tasteless.
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    The reason many differences on the peaches/ nectarines in fact all stone fruit is there are so many varieties, some last a week some last a month,some are grown in the north of Spain some grown in the south east some grown over on the west near Seville. The growers who supply all the retailers would come from all these areas to ensure if there were problems in one area another could pick up the slack.
    The main long established easy to grow high yielding stone fruit is what you get for your money at the discounters and standard packs.
    When you get into the special packs and the high end retailers you get the newer varieties that are grown for taste and flavour as against the standard pack that tastes ok but is aimed at the long life market ( ripen at home). Google peach and nectarine varieties and you will see how many there really are. So many varieties and so many areas will see different tastes and flavours.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 21st Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    couriervanman
    Super Bock Beer Lidl
    Super Bock 6 pack £2.99 in Lidl.......anybody who has been to Portugal will know this is fantastic price
    For anybody that doesn't know how good it is get some in quick because it wont be around long

And if you live in Northern Ireland its 2 for £4
    Last edited by couriervanman; 21-06-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 21st Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 13,971 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Is this 330ml bottles? Or what?

Is it the pilsner lager?

What strength?

Edit: For research purposes I bought some and it's lager (not necessarily pilsner) in 330ml bottles and 5.2%, so indeed excellent value
    Last edited by fatbelly; 22-06-2019 at 9:03 PM.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 25th Jun 19, 2:13 PM
    • 13,064 Posts
    • 29,467 Thanks
    andygb
    It is so humid down here in Kent, so I am now enjoying a Lidl Gelatelli almond ice cream. Better and far cheaper than Magnums IMHO.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 25th Jun 19, 3:34 PM
    • 29,785 Posts
    • 62,830 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It is so humid down here in Kent, so I am now enjoying a Lidl Gelatelli almond ice cream.
    Originally posted by andygb
    I fail to see the relationship here.

Gelatelli can be enjoyed equally on the few days we get snow.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Lily54
    • By Lily54 28th Jun 19, 3:03 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Lily54
    Bought some Lidl Jersey Royal potatoes yesterday and just boiled them to make potato salad and they have gone black. Anyone else found the same?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 29th Jun 19, 9:33 PM
    • 6,970 Posts
    • 19,831 Thanks
    Doc N
    Bought some Lidl Jersey Royal potatoes yesterday and just boiled them to make potato salad and they have gone black. Anyone else found the same?
    Originally posted by Lily54
    Never found that - but they're so absolutely tasteless these days we've stopped buying them altogether. Classic case of branding taking the place of quality. No seaweed used on them now, pumped full of water to bulk them up - overpriced pap.

Try Charlotte - much nicer, and cheaper.
    • just trying
    • By just trying 29th Jun 19, 9:44 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 2,957 Thanks
    just trying
    Aldi rainbow coleslaw is lovely. Not cheap, cheap but really nice.
    95p a tub.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 3rd Jul 19, 7:31 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Iíve only just seen your post Lily. Yes I got 2 packs of them the day after I cooked them as normal and when cooked they were ok,having said that as has been said pretty much tasteless not like Jerseys of old. There were some left so when cooled I put them in a container in the fridge same as I always do to go in the dogs dinner the day after,when I came to feed him opened the container and like you said all black and horrible,wonder what the problem was with these ?
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th Jul 19, 2:11 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 39,631 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Aldi own 'Australian' shampoo- 1/2 price
    Lacura Moisture/ Mighty shampoo & conditioner was £1.99 now £0.99 Appears to be a take off on Aussie products- Moisture contains 'macadamia nut oil from Australia'
    Don't know if this is just a special offer or end of line.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6470cc+3045mm (£3.04.5) + RK £8.03
    • Lily54
    • By Lily54 10th Jul 19, 9:58 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Lily54
    Iíve only just seen your post Lily. Yes I got 2 packs of them the day after I cooked them as normal and when cooked they were ok,having said that as has been said pretty much tasteless not like Jerseys of old. There were some left so when cooled I put them in a container in the fridge same as I always do to go in the dogs dinner the day after,when I came to feed him opened the container and like you said all black and horrible,wonder what the problem was with these ?
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    Thank you PLRFD, I wont be buying again for sure,didn't even get as far as tasting them.
    • Lily54
    • By Lily54 10th Jul 19, 9:59 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Lily54
    Ok not essentials but Lidl have stopped stocking their custard creams and fruit shortcake biscuits. Why does that always happen with your favourites? E.T.A. fruit shortcake back in stock today!
    Last edited by Lily54; 10-07-2019 at 2:58 PM. Reason: update.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jul 19, 2:58 PM
    • 29,785 Posts
    • 62,830 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Ok not essentials but Lidl have stopped stocking their custard creams and fruit shortcake biscuits. Why does that always happen with your favourites?
    I hadn't noticed, since they dropped the price of their chocolate hobnobs to a silly 41p/300g I tend to focus on that item to the exclusion of all other biscuit offerings. What have they filled the space with?

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 10th Jul 19, 3:35 PM
    • 13,971 Posts
    • 11,000 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I hadn't noticed, since they dropped the price of their chocolate hobnobs to a silly 41p/300g I tend to focus on that item to the exclusion of all other biscuit offerings. What have they filled the space with?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    VfM - while their French week is on, try the Palets Bretons - chunky French butter biscuits. 65p a pack
    Last edited by fatbelly; 10-07-2019 at 3:40 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jul 19, 6:59 PM
    • 29,785 Posts
    • 62,830 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    VfM - while their French week is on, try the Palets Bretons - chunky French butter biscuits. 65p a pack
    Originally posted by fatbelly
    Thanks, but I really don't enjoy a buttery / very short biscuit. Others may rave about them but it's not for me. Viennese whirls fall under the same category.

• peewhyeff
    • By peewhyeff 10th Jul 19, 8:16 PM
    • 776 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    peewhyeff
    Lacura Moisture/ Mighty shampoo & conditioner was £1.99 now £0.99 Appears to be a take off on Aussie products- Moisture contains 'macadamia nut oil from Australia'
    Don't know if this is just a special offer or end of line.
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    I bought the conditioner yesterday and not impressed with the directions for use.
    It simply says "work through the lengths of your hair and rinse. For best results use after Mighty Shampoo by Lacura".
    Put it on dry hair, then rinse?
    Put it on wet hair after shampooing and rinsing?
    Leave on for a couple of minutes, then rinse?
    What does everyone else do?
    • Flowergirl11
    • By Flowergirl11 11th Jul 19, 8:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Flowergirl11
    Veteran Tesco and Waitrose (for top up) shopper here.
    2 months ago I decided to try Lidl as I needed to sort my spiralling weekly food budget out.
    The things I (and 3 fussy children) are actually fine with are:
    Baked beans
    The quilted toilet paper
    Dishwasher tablets
    The fake monster munch crisps
    Chocolate spread
    All bread, fruit, veg, cheese products
    Ready meal moussaka
    Nappies
    Frozen chips
    Frozen fish
    Quiche
    Cheese coleslaw
    Wine!!
    Squash
    Biscuits
    Tinned tomatoes

The stuff which we aren’t impressed with are the meat and the shampoo / conditioner. Even tried the Fake Aussie conditioner and it was appalling.

Next we tried Aldi and I’ve only done 2 shops there so far. The meat was much better although had very quick sell by dates.
    The ready meal moussaka was absolutely rank though. The coleslaw is also not so good but they do sell tuna in spring water rather than oil like Lidl. The wine is also just as good as Lidl!
    Aldi seems slightly more expensive than Lidl though, although like I say, I’ve only done 2 shops there.

Still shopping at Waitrose for dairy free produce, cous cous, shampoo/ conditioner, vegetarian substitutes and about 50% of meat but I’ve cut about 25% of my shopping budget down which is great
    • Tofu eater
    • By Tofu eater 11th Jul 19, 10:28 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Tofu eater
    Aldi - the 'Moser Roth' Salted Caramel Truffles in the round boxes (yellow and dark brown) ......sooooo good!!!!They're really nice!
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Jul 19, 1:20 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 39,631 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I bought the conditioner yesterday and not impressed with the directions for use.
    It simply says "work through the lengths of your hair and rinse. For best results use after Mighty Shampoo by Lacura".
    Put it on dry hair, then rinse?
    Put it on wet hair after shampooing and rinsing?
    Leave on for a couple of minutes, then rinse?

What does everyone else do?
    Originally posted by peewhyeff
    Well..... it tells you best after the shampoo!
    I suspect they assume you know what to do with usual conditioner that's why they are economical with words.
    I would do either of the above which I have highlighted.

Generally speaking you don't put conditioner on dry hair (nor do you leave it in, unless told otherwise)
    Despite the instructions, how was it? I haven't used mine yet
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6470cc+3045mm (£3.04.5) + RK £8.03
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,247Posts Today

6,937Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin