Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 4,544Posts
    • 51,246Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 8:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 7:24 AM.
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 160
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th May 19, 6:57 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Mmmmm, today has been a bit trying. BG has been a bit....... 'toddlery'.......Ho hum.

DH bought cheese and bread as he didn't think we could live without either...... He's kinda right about the bread, as we were nearly out, but the cheese could have waited until the next month's grocery shopping.....Ah well.

Otherwise I could have claimed a nsd. I ain't seen no-one, I ain't spent nowt.

Tea this evening was, indeed citrussy marinated tofu, with a crispy cornmeal and LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond) coating. Teamed up with; citrus marinated lentils with colourful peppers, steamed brown basmati rice, carrot slaw with cranberries and walnuts, and the last of the wild rocket. Filled a plate, filled our tums, and I have to say, was really kinda nice. I was really lucky with the oranges (HB) they were nice tasting and really juicy. BG had a reamining half orange de-zested and cut up with some greek yoghurt, and deemed them yummy and that they had 'eaten all the juices' (I had asked them if they thought the orange 'juicy'? ) BG had lentil bolognese and pasta - but dunna nobody dob me in and tell BG that they infact ate the rest of the whizzed up pasta sauce - which may have featured 'green' stuff - that they had turned their nose up at on Tuesday night...... Tea used up plenty of 'bits' including 2 really worse for wear carrots that had been quietly mouldering at the bottom of the fridge - the slaw transformed them. I always forget how much I like brown rice too. It seems such a faff to cook, and then from the first bite, I'm hooked again, and it seems all worthwhile. I did cook extra, so that was cooled, and is now in the freezer to pad out a bake or something.

Today I am grateful for these three things;

thoughtful correspondents, of email and letter-writing varieties

magic moments amongst the angst

nice food - even at the end of the month

Ta for popping by. Greatly appreciated.

Greying X
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 31st May 19, 7:24 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 28,143 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Morning Greying, I love the slaw recipe - I may have to try that - I also add a tiny birdseye chilli to my slaws for a bit of unexpected zing - always a supply in the freezer as they are a regular YS bag at the SM. Have a lovely day - the weather here looks promising
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 46.03% spent so far, mid July
    My DFD is here
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 31st May 19, 9:58 AM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

It is a good recipe Suffolk lass - I just grated my couple of carrots, and it still tasted good.

Well, we've been up with the larks (third shift division ) and got mucho of our chores done before the sun starts to crack the pavements........

We've spent invested our MrT vouchers. Gee, I need to get out more. The prices I don't think the supermercados cater for people on limited - for whatever reason - budgets anymore As much as anything, even a large-ish store didn't have the 'value' type ranges in. I realise the valoo range as a brand is not in use anymore, but there wasn't the 'next one up' either, if you see what I mean I had got to 5 worth of stuff, and was looking around for something to take up the last 1 of vouchers (i wanted reasonably priced tinned potatoes - but no dice ), when I spotted that they had one of the brands of tinned meat products on offer. Whilst mrT claimed it was a 85p saving, I was aware that I could get the same product elsewhere for 1.50. But a notional 33% saving, I'll take that, so I used my last 1 voucher and credit to get 4 tins - for the FB - whilst I was there. Daft thing to do, as I was walking a long way, and the tins made my bag heavy But still. Anyway, on double-checking in h3r0n foods, my 'bargain' wasn't as good as it seemed, as the mrT tins were 300g - the h3r0n tins for 1.50 were 400g.......... Anyway, gram for gram, I have still saved 17p a tin, so I got best bang for my buck for the FB - my avowed intention!

I've completed the money shuffle. A day later than anticipated, but still in time to meet the D/D commitments, so all's well.

Tea this evening will be pizza and sweet potato wedges, as I've a load of YS'd SP's to use up. They were 38p in M&$, so I want to make sure I use them all up - savour the saving!

I can't think of owt else to report. So I best push orf.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 31st May 19, 6:44 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

We had black olive pizza, roasted sweet potato 'chunks' and fresh corn salad for tea. I would love to include a link to the corn salad recipe, but it t'ain't no more - I keep on getting a '404 error' Thank goodness I copied it down after the first time I tried it, as it's a keeper for me - although I make it with frozen sweetcorn these days, as that is the cheapest option for me - in the american midwest, whole corn cobs sure are the cheapest option .

Tea used up stores - including the last of the (original) cheese - I won't have broken into the 'new' cheese until tomorrow, first of the month I did, however, use some tomatoes (not cherry) that I bought in mrT today with my vouchers. Whilst I'm in agreement with eminent MSE'rs who liken most tomatoes that hail from glass houses across the North sea as resembling 'snooker balls', I'm happy to report that the 'vine ripened' (?) tommies that were in the mrT 49p offering, are DELISH! Very, very ripe....... where's a'pand a pand' street market, when you need one???' but none the less, I'm happy with my 98p purchase

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

The ability to walk from A to B

nice, conversational shop staff

line-dried laundry

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 1st Jun 19, 5:32 AM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

First of June already

We're up and at 'em (), kinda, sorta, maybe.........

I'm determined to get back to good MSE ways this month. The 'cheap' (?) tomatoes yesterday got me thinking. We're all supposed to eat 'healthy', including lots of fruit and veggies in our diets, and yet food is sooo expensive - especially the supposedly 'good' stuff. I mean, take English Asparagus, there is a defined season for it (6 weeks or so), and we are getting to the end of that season now, and the weather has been pretty good in the growing areas for the last part of that. Has the price come down - in supermercados or greengrocers? It hasn't - it's still the same price it was at the start of the season - when the product has rarity/scarcity/newness appeal! I was looking at some of the premium 'thick' stuff in m&$ the other day. There were 2 YS'd bunches - which they still wanted over 2 for. The bottom 2 inches (at least) of the stalk would have been inedible - you could see they were crumpling and drying out and would have been woody/stringy inside. And yet to me, the produce was still 'top dollar'. Greyhound (pointy) cabbages in m&$ were 80p the other day - the same price they are in the middle of winter. What about seasonality? Oh how I wish we had a decent market on hand with plenty of healthy competition and choice!

Still, I've been inspired by other people on MSE and I'm going to try much harder. I don't know whether I suffer from a need to have 'full' (ish - not really bulging) cupboards, or whether I always have to have 'plenty' on a plate, when 3 would suffice or whatever.......

Definitely curry this evening. i will look out summat to 'curry' I will be using the tikka masala sauce that we didn't use last week. I saw the 'meditteranean' versions of this brand in mrT yesterday - all at 2 a jar I know they are organic, but wow, just wow as to fielding costs like that. I know I couldn't do it

Right, apparently there is a piece of toast available, so I best go and secure it for myself

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 1st Jun 19, 8:50 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 28,143 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Gosh that makes me grateful for the local produce available here. My neighbour is a farm manager and has 65 chickens the other side of the field behind us - 2 a dozen - fantastic free-ranging woodland eggs. We grow a fair bit of veg here - I have a new asparagus bed (3rd year) and now there are pea-shoots and salad snippings - I had homegrown french radishes (literally 6 weeks from seed to crop - and the leaves are yummy and peppery) with coleslaw (bought, 1 a big pot that needed finishing) and although I don't think you eat it, I had grilled mackerel fillets - never have them when DH is here but a treat on my own (he is away until Sunday) from the market, and a small piece of granary bread. Lovely simple supper.

Have a good weekend
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July
    My DFD is here
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 1st Jun 19, 9:50 AM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Oh I agree Suffolk lass - the worst thing that ever happened was the 'coporatising' of our market. It's now all chi-chi, whereas it used to be democratic and open to all to come, rent a foot or two of selling space (more if you could afford), and sell the excess eggs from your hens/ducks, the glut of plums/pears/apples from your trees or summat you'd knitted outta itchy, vile green nylon wool that you'd got cheap orf the back o' someone's van! Maybe communications weren't as good in those days, but I don't remember 'mass-food poisoning cases being reported from eating fresh picked broad beans, or spuds that came to market with a bit of soil still on 'em

But I am also giving some thought to what we eat. I mean, we've incorporated more 'stuff' into our diet. Am I being boring saying that we don't 'need' crisps, or a flap-jack or and apple and an orange? We don't have those things every day - although we often have more than one piece of fruit in 24hrs. But should they really, really, really be relegated to 'treat' as in once a month? (not the fruit, but the other stuff) Whilst I know how we run our household is up to us, you've got to admit, it's not really how the rest of society goes on. I'm not sure how much of an outlier I want to be - and more so, I'm worrying about BG - but of course, you've got the dilemma of raising a healthy child not addicted to sugar/salt/carbs etc etc etc. So there is a very fine line to try to tread and negotiate.

As ever, no one answer to fit. Just got to bimble along and try our best I suppose.

I've done a meal-plan for next week. The shopping list to go with is really quite nice and straightforward, but does include 'extras' such as fruit (no biscuits), so I don't necessarily think I can get away with only spending tuppence........

Greying X

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 1st Jun 19, 10:13 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 28,143 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Me too on what we eat. I have just made elderflower cordial - full of sugar but I know what is in it. I can tolerate some pure cane sugar, with lemons, locally picked elderflowers, water, citric acid and 2 campden tablets as a preservative. For me it is the use of artificial colours, sweeteners and potassium sorbate (preserving salt) that I want to avoid. I also avoid beet sugar, for reasons I cannot substantiate in any scientific way.

It is the inconsistencies in our diet that I remain uncomfortable with, but it does not stop me indulging. My fruit consumption is typically a piece of bowl fruit every day but I might also have berries up to twice a day - normally stuff that grows in the UK but no tropical fruit, unless it is a treat on an occasion.
    My DFD is here
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 2nd Jun 19, 6:08 AM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Monring

Damp start with us Not too sure if it is enough to put the kibosh on any DIY activities for DH, we'll have to see. Pity for the majority of kiddies on the last day of half-term though. Although listening to R2 yesterday the London-centric presenters were going on, and on about pavement splitting sunshine, so i guess some places have it good.

We ended up having the jarred tikka masala sauce with sweet potatoes and chickpeas last night, and a splodge of dhal from the freezer with boiled basmati rice. It was OK, a different flavour to how I would normally make a version of that sauce, but the downside was that in re-heating it (I made it in the afternoon, to try to let the flavours meld), it caught the bottom of the pan The pan wasn't ruined, but it took some time to soak off, and of course, we lost a bit of the curry in the process BG positively refused to touch their dhal I'd only put a spoonful on their plate Eventually through much patience and coaxing from papa, they ate a teeny bit of it (as much as anything to prove to them that it was edible, and not 'yukky' as they claimed, did we persevere), I guess about half. But honestly, how can a child go from eating a bowl and a half of summat, to refusing point blank to eat it?

It's chickpea nohutlu (chickpea street pilaf) for tea tonight. can you see a theme emerging? #toomanypulses....... The recipe is turkish in origin, but I got it from one of Silvena Rowe's cookbooks - 'Orient Express'. It's a reasonably straightforward recipe, I have all the ingredients in, and it's not got too many - ergo doesn't cost too much to make Unfortunately, i can't find a link to the recipe

I could do with going shopping today, so that may well be on the cards if the weather refuses to play ball I have a list (even DH commented on it! - like I don't always make a list???)

Can't think of owt else MSE to mention, so best push orf.

Greying X

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hello GP

Just popping by after MUCH too long. Love to see the recipes and conversations about food are still blissfully the same. So creative with your combinations of yummy food - and always loads and loads of colour to the imagined plate

Kids and food...am not sure there is a rhyme nor reason apart from exercising control of course. Just pick your battles...you won't win them all. We always prioritised food over lots of other 'battles' and never made our kids anything different to what we had from a very early age. We also always eat together in the kitchen. Same time each evening. Think it helps but maybe we were just lucky? Opinions abound

Enjoy your Sunday

Lots of love

Brizzle xx
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 37% May 25% April 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal 301/750 July Goals: AFDs 4/25 Decluttering 20/80; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/05 Exercise in July RT 4k 04/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd Jun 19, 10:02 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    PS. It was a beautifully hot day here in the SW yesterday..today started OK but I have just dragged the washing in with DD2...showers scheduled for rest of the day so the Lakeland heated airer is on...in June. Ugh. What a pain..
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% 37% May 25% April 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal 301/750 July Goals: AFDs 4/25 Decluttering 20/80; LSDs xx/10; NSDs xx/05 Exercise in July RT 4k 04/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 2nd Jun 19, 10:23 AM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hey brizzie

Yes, I'm not sure about food with BG. They didn't really take to weaning - but didn't like formula either And i was too worried about salt/spice content of our food to get them started on what we ate. The possible exceptions are that they eat wholemeal bread, natural yoghurt and lentil bolognese - which are all things that DH and I eat - oh, and porridge - DH eats porridge for brekkie and thankfully, BG has followed suit. Coupled with a bit of wholemeal toast, I don't think it too bad a start to the day.

We enjoyed the south - south west just before half-term scorchio

Trying to grab my mojo back with food - summer is the time to do it with colourful salads

Great to see you - and hear wonderful progress in the brizzle household Was thinking of you the other day - zero waste weigh shops seem to be the thing in 2019, in Greying Town and saw loads on hols. To me it's just going back to how I used to shop in wholefood/co-operatives years ago. But I DID have folnd memories of last year's pootle up the gloucester Road

Keep on keeping on lovely

Greying X

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd Jun 19, 10:43 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Glad you've been over our way again next time you'll have to come over for tea and cake (DM me..honest, please )

Plastic free/zero waste shops are getting more popular. The one nearest is now where we make our own nut butters (top tip, grind the coffee first before you make walnut espresso butter says OH ) and buy dried goods, fruit etc. We also use the local fruit and veg shops - which although sometime the produce last a little less long its much cheaper and the packaging on veg when I do go to the SM is crazy. Embarassingly so. I may just have to stop it as feel too sick.

Was meant to be foraging today. Will have to see if I can skip out in-between showers!

Enjoy Sunday xx
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Re porridge, I am in love with bircher muesli...which we add fruit compote to. Love it as a start to the day. Make a load every few days (it lasts in the fridge) so speedy too

x
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 2nd Jun 19, 1:39 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Well, how envious am I of Suffolk Lass being able to say 'Howdee-doodee' over the hedge to the chucks that provide her eggs? I have just had a second egg - from a box of 6 - explode on me when boiling it, because it was so.dang.old! First of all it pirouetted like Angeleena-Balla-reena, then exploded. And the things are supposed to be ok until 7/6! Blessed mrL FR eggs - I've had this problem with them before and swore off buying 'em. HB FR eggs went that way for a while (that and cracked and broken), but I can only assume that HB listened to customer feedback and told their suppliers to shape up or ship out. mrL customer services don't even bother to reply, if reports on the food and groceries thread are anything to go by Might as well buy organik gold-plated eggs at the price I'm paying for 'useable' eggs. Humpf!

Food shopping for most of the week has been purchased. Milk and bread will be as and when - although there is currently room for one extra loaf in the freezer, so that will cut down trips to the supermercado for DH. Trouble with storing bread in the freezer is that I can't then do much batch cooking - but if I batch cook, there is no room for bread, so swings and roundabouts. HB didn't have any satsumas/easy peelers (again), but their apples are lovely, so I'm glad I got plum-pick of them

Lunch was sangers, a couple of egg ones and a cheese and tommie. With peanut butter for fuss-pots.........

Right, I'm away to do some food prep. Determined to rail in our grocery spend and be more on the ball.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Jun 19, 5:06 AM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Up and at 'em with the larks (second shift division) this morn.

Today's activities are weather dependent. I could go to a couple of shops a bit further out to pick up the bits we need for this week's meals, but no point in doing so if we're gonna get soaked in the process

Tea this evening will be lentil bolognese & pasta. The bolognese has been made and will just need a reheat, and the pasta will be cooked at tea time.

I need to pay the CC today, but am also waiting on another invoice to arrive so that I can pay that. The money is notionally all in place ready to meet these expenses, its just a bit of a risk of a flurry of activity meaning I lose sight of balances etc. But it should be OK - note to self; the money is in place!

Can't think of owt else so i'll get on with the day.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

• Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 3rd Jun 19, 8:56 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 3,029 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    Anywhere local where you can pick up eggs from a farm, Greying? Otherwise, I have had good experiences with the Sainsbury's barn eggs - can't tell them apart from the super posh expensive ones that used to occasionally trip and fall into my basket...1.45 for 15.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 6,700 5,000 sister loan/ Now 2,500500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18) 1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now 0
    Total 9,200
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 3rd Jun 19, 9:00 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 28,143 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    If you want reliable FR eggs from a SM I had been using the variable size packs of 15 from Morries for years before my neighbour got the additional chucks this year - 2 for 15
    My DFD is here
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 3rd Jun 19, 9:26 AM
    • 8,741 Posts
    • 44,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw Greying, I wish you lived closer for many reasons - the main one being this morning being that we often have a profusion of eggs and give many away - in fact gave three to the local farmer who dropped in for a chat this morning - I spotted them in a bush when we were talking
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 51,246 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Thank you for popping in and for all the lovely suggestions

Silver Queen - unfortunately I can't think of any local farm or 'garden' chucks that sell eggs 'at the gate' And our mrS is the furthest away from Greying Towers. It takes 1hr+ to walk there and isn't (routinely) on the way to anywhere occasionally I get to go to one when we visit a nearby-ish town - but it's not regular enough (IYSWIM)

Suffolk lass - our morries did (at one time - don't know if they still do), stock the eggs from a local poultry farm - they were 'factory' farmed FR (IYSWIM) but they were local, and were as 'FR' as any other supermercado supplier. But I haven't been there for a while, as it suffers (again) from not being 'on a route' for us - it's not easy to 'nip in'. But if I have to go for coriander (fresh), I shall certainly look out for the ones you mention.

Cheery - are you sure if it were announced; 'Coming to a field near YOU, Greying &Co!' you'd be that thrilled? Really?

So today has seen lots of itty-bitty-bitty bits achieved. I have paid my 2 outstanding bills, as I was finally invoiced for the bigger bill, so paid it immediately.

I managed to get to the further afield HB, which did have the remaining things off my list in stock And I was very good, and stuck to my list and only bought what was on my list, which is just as well, as I succumbed to buying 2 books for BG in a chazzer on the way there! Still, I sort of don't begrudge buying books for BG, and I did get tremendous value for money. One of the books was only one fourteenth of its original cover price and was in spiffy condition, the other was marginally more expensive, but contains 3 stories, so Mind, I'm well aware that 1 here and 50p there always adds up, and it's easy to fritter 's that way. I hope I'm reasonable in my purchases, and a) BG doesn't become spoilt, b) we don't become destitute and c) that BG appreciates a bargain, and knows to look in chazzers first for owt they may need! They already ask to go into 'charibee' shops, and know that they don't always leave with something - a) because mumma has no money, or b) because there was nothing for us that day.

I realise that...........looks back further up the thread.........dearest Fortune kindly suggested that I use the remaining M&$ voucher (got with insurance purchase) for a treat, but I have to report that today I was somewhat prosaic and pedestrian and purchased...... pants. Y'all will have to consider for yourself if I was all about it, and went for enough fabric to get my money's worth and to cover buckinghambighouse should the need arise Or perhaps I threw caution to the wind, and got meself some skinny-minnie-stringy skimpies, jus for the sheer heck of it..................... Anyhoo, the vouchers are spent (only had 'til tomorrow), and have bought T-shirts and pants I did also pick up some YS'd nectarines. Who knew M&$ had started stocking nectarines (4 in a punnet) for 70p? Mine were YS'd to 31p They are just beginning to ripen. I tested one - it was a clingstone, but wasn't quite fully ripe (yet), so I have high hopes for the remaining 3 I hope BG remembers that they like nectarines

Tea this evening was lentil bolognese and pasta. Full plates, full tummies and there is a splodge left for lunch tomoz

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

bargains

bill-settling

backpacks (make shopping with BG a little easier.....)

Ta for popping in, and joining in the conversation. Appreciated. Always.

Greying X

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

721Posts Today

5,716Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin