Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 4,537Posts
    • 51,187Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes
    • 27th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes 27th Oct 16 at 8:11 AM
    Hello

I think that the time may be right to start a new diary. So much has changed since I started my 2nd diary, which can be found HERE and we're a whole lifetime away from my first diary, which can be found HERE

Whilst my first 2 diaries concentrated on living a simple life, concentrating on debt-avoidance for my (then) DP and I, we had a 'bit' of a tumultuous 2015, which meant that my DP became my DH and we 'Two' became 3, with the safe arrival of Baby Greying

Our focus has changed dramatically. Far from contemplating 'downsizing' (a bit of a misnomer in terms of our house, honestly, I've been in bigger 'flats'! ) and somehow achieving early retirement; we now have a future focus that needs us to be super fit and active for as long as we can be. Also, as older first time parents, we are both committed to try to be in Baby Greying's life for as long as possible, without being a burden. Because whilst being older does have some distinct advantages when applied to parenting, there is no denying there's a downside too..............

Also, the economic climate is changing once again. Blame it on whatever you like, but there is always some reason why prices of x, y or z rise. There is always a reason why, when you find a way to combat inflation; someone comes along and changes the rules of the game. A good example of this is our wood burner. When we had it installed, we had access to a goodly amount of free wood, we both had the time and energy to process it and we could live with parts of the house being cold. Forward 10 years; more people have stoves - and are all chasing that 'free' wood, 'purchased' logs are now very expensive around here and we've no time to stack nor chop wood. It's become easier, and 'as expensive' to flick the on switch for the central heating....... a cleaner in-house option, that can keep the whole house a manageable temperature and Baby Greying at a safe and comfortable temperature.

Now it does matter if our hair-brained money saving wheezes make our teeth fall out or our toes freeze orf, because it impacts on our ability to look after Baby Greying in the now and in the future. Our health and well-being is a priority - but still not at any price. We want to have it all,;but with only a modest budget available, we're gonna have to get creative. I rarely shop in the 'big 4' supermercados. We purchase some things from mrL, some from mrAl. A smattering from mrW, mrT and m&$ (bananas mostly), with h0me bargins and h3ron f00ds being the sources of our regular shopping. We also have access to a food co-operative and I occasionally get to go to the next city along to get bulk purchases of pulses and spices.

Our focus now (that we've got over the shock of Baby Greying ) is to move on from Greying Towers. The long and short of it boils down to it not being the right environment for us to bring up a child here. There are nicer places. We need to find them. So a move is on the cards. However, some renovation of the towers is necessary, and whilst funding has always been an issue; now we have the added upheaval of trying to do work around a baby. Not impossible, but not ideal. It's also still proving impossible to find reliable tradespeople. We're looking for a plumber, again

The one thing that I've come to recognise with age is that there is always 'good stuff' in every life. Even when you're really going through the mill. There are good people, who say or do good things to help you. There are the wonders of nature to take in at every turn. There is humour everywhere, even if you have to look under a few rocks to find it. It is important to be thankful, even on the dark days. And I try to do that - and find writing it down, in my online diary a good exercise in stopping. And thinking.

We like food at Greying Towers. I write about it alot. I take pictures of me tea. We're vegetarian (at present) and so vegetables feature. Alot. When it's gifted HG produce, it's even better

So, do you fancy climbing aboard for the new adventure. Taking some time out to Fall apart in my backyard with Me, DH and BG?

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 29-10-2016 at 7:24 AM.
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
Page 159
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 26th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 5,871 Posts
    • 36,361 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Just chipping in to say that I think bg is quite adventurous when it comes to food. I can remember a phase when the only diary one of mine would consume was milk and butter, the only meat was sausage and burgers, had an allergy to citrus fruits and the only fish consumed was tinned tuna. We then went through a phase where I would rearrange any food for both of mine into triangles and they ate it out the grounds that the turtles loved pizza. They are both now in their mid 30s so survived. You have introduced bg to a variety of flavours. Well done
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 67373.01 target 65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today 716.16 target 5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund 5,500/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 5lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 26th May 19, 10:25 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Just chipping in to say that I think bg is quite adventurous when it comes to food. I can remember a phase when the only diary one of mine would consume was milk and butter, the only meat was sausage and burgers, had an allergy to citrus fruits and the only fish consumed was tinned tuna. We then went through a phase where I would rearrange any food for both of mine into triangles and they ate it out the grounds that the turtles loved pizza. They are both now in their mid 30s so survived. You have introduced bg to a variety of flavours. Well done
    Originally posted by in need of direction

Dearest inod - I think you are being overly generous with your praise - I don't think I have got BG eating very widely They do not eat half of the things that we eat I suppose thinking about it, they have a little of something from most food groups - with the possible exception of meat, they have tried it, but don't like it. DH doesn't eat meat because he doesn't like the taste/texture. Maybe it's hereditary? I can only hope that BG changes with age - and I have no problems if they decide they want to eat meat. It's fine by me. But when I think of the multitude of flavours that they experienced inside me whilst pregnant, I continue to be disappointed that their tastebuds are so bland, beige and middle of the road now

Greying X
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th May 19, 11:10 AM
    • 64,409 Posts
    • 287,072 Thanks
    beanielou
    My DS was a dire eater.
    Now he is more adventurous than me!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 26th May 19, 2:10 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    My DS was a dire eater.
    Now he is more adventurous than me!
    Originally posted by beanielou

I'm hoping that will end up being the situ with BG too beanie Thinking about my own childhood, I don't recall being an overly fussy-eater as such, although I didn't like overcooked veg (my mum always overcooked veg.......). But I seem to recall we had to eat what was on our plates - a policy enforced at home and at school for (cooked) lunches. I hated broad beans, but love them now. Hated runner beans, but loved them when I grew/picked them myself, and will eat them now if gifted.... so palates can change. And it's definitely true that I am more adventurous than my parents with food. They are very middle of the road, bland and beige with their choices.........

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th May 19, 11:06 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning (just)

Hope you are having a spiffing Bank Holiday whatever you are up to - and I hope the punters are behaving and the time flying if you find yourself at work.

We're having a slow start here at the towers But I've now completed the laundry so some achievement has been grasped from the jaws of indolence

Lunch is going to be sangers - variety as yet unknown - and tea this evening will be some sort of salad plate featuring; sweet potatoes, lentils, wild rocket and owt else I can lay my hands on in stores or t'fridge I'm not going shopping today - we'll have to make do.

I forgot to mention that I did also manage to make a spiffing pizza last week - it rose beautifully. I made the dough on an overnight fridge rise, and the topping was 3 cheese; using up some grana padano, mild cheddar and a cheapo mozarella ball. I think the warmth contributed to the good second rise, and possibly the sunshine made it feel extra yummy to eat. It certainly cost alot less to make than the artisanally crafted wood-fired pizzas (with albeit far more interesting toppings) that were for sale in one of the nearby foodie capitals. I don't like gas ovens though I've decided - not without full instructions as to how to get the best out of the blessed things, anyway

Perhaps my cooking mojo is slowly returning - it just needs to be guided in the right direction. I suppose getting older means that we have to try to cling onto good health for as long as we can, and diet/nutrition is a key factor in that. It would appear that research is increasingly coming to the same conclusion, so maintain the intake of fruit and vegetables I must!

I have something like a fortnight left to decide what to purchase with the second of the 2 m&$ vouchers i got for taking out insurance with them. I spent the first on much needed clothing for DH. I have also received an email to say that I have some mrT vouchers that are about to expire, so will have to look into what value they are and what to do. It was so much easier when we used to amass them more quickly and 'saved' them for breakdown assistance. Now that we rarely shop there, it is more difficult to keep a track of them. Still, I can make use of them, so I will. I'll go and check just now.

Right, it is now past midday, as I had to stop to sort out something for BG. DH is currently in charge, so I think I will go and check the vouchers and then clean the fridge whilst I have the kitchen to myself.

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th May 19, 11:29 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Fiddlesticks! My own incompetence means that I let 2.50 worth of CC vouchers lapse at the end of February! I am such a numpty I do however have 6.00 worth to spend before the end of May, so I must focus and ensure that they purchase something needed.

Grr, so annoyed at self! Since when did we become Rock-er-fellas that could blow cash to the breeze!

Humpf! Double-humpf! and triple-bloomin-humpf!

Can you use vouchers to purchase gin? I think I may be in need.......

Greying - who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near MSE on the grounds that she is still making elementary money-saving errors!!!!!!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th May 19, 5:23 PM
    • 64,409 Posts
    • 287,072 Thanks
    beanielou
    Passes gin.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 27th May 19, 6:11 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Passes gin.
    Originally posted by beanielou

And sends a gentle *hug* back to you

X

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 27th May 19, 6:20 PM
    • 8,737 Posts
    • 44,759 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw Greying, be kind to yourself I wasted not one, not two but THREE J0hn L3wis vouchers for free cake in the last few months. FREE CAKE! Good grief. It happens

As for BG, you are doing a GREAT job, I promise. I have one nephew who pretty much refuses to eat everything other than Shreddies and pizza and he's still doing ok As you say, he's eating different food groups and yes, his tastes will likely change over time. I bet over the course of a week he gets a really good variety of stuff, even if each meal seems bland. Keep going the way you're going xxx
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 27th May 19, 6:57 PM
    • 9,025 Posts
    • 69,448 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Can you call Mr T and ask about them re-instating them?
    NST July jogger #5; NSD 7/18; Ex 13/31; remove bagfuls (31)

Mortgage 15,451 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 27th May 19, 9:20 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    teapot2
    We had some expired T@sco CC vouchers and I messaged them on their website to ask if anything could be done. They reissued a couple which was very helpful at the time. I'd lost track completely of things like that when OH was having radiotherapy etc.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 28th May 19, 6:07 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Thanks for the tips guys. I did look on the CC website/my account to see if you could do anything about 'forgotten' vouchers, and couldn't find anything. But there is a phone number, so I'll give them a call today to see if they will re-instate them for this numpty . Thanks again

Tea last night was a salad bowl. with all that veggie matter, I was well full for the rest of the evening! There is also a small portion of cajun spiced sweet potatoes and marinated lentils left over for my lunch. Last night I went all chi-chi and we had a boiled egg each, which I sliced on my retro 1970's egg slicer - so it must be summer!

Lunch was cheese and cucumber sangers with apple slices for those who wanted. BG had peanut butter sangers.

We've library books to return today, and a couple of bobs and bits to pick up. A lsd not a nsd. I need to start doing a money shuffle, and check that all my admin is in order. The last 2 weeks have been a bit full on and stressy (some stress self-induced, I admit ), but we should be back to normal for a while now. So it's back to budgets and back to basics for the forseeable.

Can't think of owt else to report, so I'll shuffle orf and do summat else.

Ta for popping in and for the advice. Appreciated.

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 28th May 19, 7:55 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

I rang MrT's helpline as suggested and have had my voucher points re-instated onto the next a/c mailing. So the points aren't lost.

Thanks for the suggestions to chase it up - I'd forgotten you could do that

As I get older, I seem to be getting more forgetful - or it's the perimen striking again.....................

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 29th May 19, 7:13 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

Anyone else all over the shop as to what day it actually is???

Tea last night ended up being a version of JamieO's Stracci recipe - using courgette instead of aubergine (eggplant), and shop-bought macaroni instead of hand-crafted sheets of pasta........ The courgettes were the 2 i had left over from the 3 pack, I used a tin of tomatoes, the last of a jar of red peppers, some of the grana padano that I had left over from last week and a jar of olives. Coriander seed is always in my spice cupboard, as are chipotle chilli flakes, so I had those to hand. My attempt to whizz up the tomato vegetable sauce and nap BG's pasta with it failed spectacularly, and they ate very little of it which given they can eat pasta for Great Britain, was pretty disappointing How small do the green flecks of vegetables actually have to be?????????

I was disappointed that m&$ have stuck up the prices of their cherry tommies again - to 1 from 80p. Plus they are charging more (3p more) for their salad tomatoes which are still the small ones, produce of Poland. Free market economies only work if you have clear access to all the suppliers, otherwise you have to pay the price, or do without

We're all out of money now until the end of the month, so it'll be academic as to what is for tea here on in. 'Whatever is in t'cupboard'. I'm still trying to work out how to get best value with my mrT vouchers. Do I dare entrust DH with them and a very specific list????

I do have a pack of tofu to use for tea today - I'm thinking citrussy marinade, and that is about as far as I got...........

I've been in touch with several friends - all 'newer' - in the last couple of days. They bring such joy to our lives. I really am so lucky. One is embarking on an adventure, so I cannot wait to hear all about it, and I now have a hook-up to look forward to in a month or so, with another chum, as well. Then I've a very special adventure of my own to look forward to later in the summer, with another chum to meet. So the future is rosy indeed

Money shuffles were done yesterday, but we need a top up as there is not currently enough to cover the bills We just need to access another account - which DH is in charge of doing, so fingers crossed he remembers today....... It's at times like this, I can actually see the appeal of internet banking......... Quick flick of your finger and tuppence or 200 is moved in a moment........

Right, I don't think I've owt else to report nor complain about, so best crack on with the day.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th May 19, 5:27 PM
    • 64,409 Posts
    • 287,072 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have to say I am a fan of internet banking

***Keep plodding***
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th May 19, 6:01 PM
    • 8,737 Posts
    • 44,759 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Yay for your reinstated vouchers! So pleased you asked

Poor you, whizzing veg into teeny tiny specks for BG and them still not eating it. What a nuisance.

I bet in 20 years time you're back in here telling us proudly that BG has set up as some kind of speciality vegetable guru, and they are making their living travelling around telling everyone about the benefits of eating their greens
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 29th May 19, 6:21 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I bet in 20 years time you're back in here telling us proudly that BG has set up as some kind of speciality vegetable guru, and they are making their living travelling around telling everyone about the benefits of eating their greens
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff

Honey, I will donate 5 (adjusted for inflation) to your chosen charity if that becomes so - as....... I'm of the same mind!!!!!

Greying X

• Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 29th May 19, 6:38 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Evening

Special to internet-savvy beanie - who is making me feel luddite...

Well, DH didn't disappoint, and did remember to get the money to transfer so we should be able to pay our June bills - phew!

BG and I went for a pootle in the mizzle. We both got damp - mumma more so (rollseyessmilie), but we got out and about - that is (possibly) the main thing.......... There was mucho to tell poppa about over tea, so it must have been a good day

Tea itself was something of a success in that we had Jambalaya (due to the pants weather) and I used some mrT veggie sausages that BG did like..... and then didn't...... BG had pasta, and I cut up a sausage - which they initially refused to eat. But poppa implored them to, 'take a bite'..... and they did, and ate 3/4 of it - which ain't bad, we'll take that, and regard it as a win I'm quite sure that the tofu won't roll over and go mouldy, just because it will be out of date by one day tomorrow, so we'll have that another time.......

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

kindly shop staff who interract nicely with BG

waterproof clothing..........

my DH, and all he does for us; his family

Ta for popping in. Know that it is appreciated. Today and all days

Greying X

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 29th May 19, 7:54 PM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 25,392 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I only ate peas as a child and I'm pretty much vegetarian now

One vote from me that you use the remaining M&S voucher for a little treat for yourself - you deserve it

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 12.41% paid Overpayments 2019: 1714.78 Emergency Fund: 96% Car Loan Remaining: 0%
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th May 19, 7:08 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 51,187 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Good Morning

I only ate peas as a child and I'm pretty much vegetarian now
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles

See now, we were raised 'omnivore' at home. My mum is a home cook - albeit in very 'basic' fare. Although even had I remained a meat-eater, I'm pretty sure my mum's version of liver and onions would have put me off eating liver for life - you could sole shoes with that stuff!!!! But she also always overcooked vegetables - everything was boiled, although she got into steaming veg a few years ago......So I think it's quite amusing that I am now pretty much vegetarian for most meals

Tell me that it wasn't just us that flicked on the heating for a while last night? Albeit with the thermostat only on 15 degrees, but I got so cold! Little bit warmer today - but not too sure if it'll stay dry

Last of the money shuffling to do today, and then at least the June bills will be covered - phew!

Tea should feature the tofu spared from yesterday. I'm still no further forward than 'citrussy-marinated'

I forgot to say, I popped into a mrTexpre$$ yesterday to do a reccy of what, maybe, I could invest the cc vouchers in. One item i looked at was 30p dearer than it said mrT sold it for on mysupermercado. I know the little stores are usually dearer, hold limited ranges and are meant for convenience, but if each item is 30p+ dearer than it is in the main store, it makes a mockery of spending vouchers there The one or two YS'd items were of things that we didn't (really) need, and were still 'expensive' to my eye.......... Will just have to try to get to the main store tomorrow, weather depending. Trouble is, I'm thinking of getting some store cupboard items, and DH won't necessarily know where to look for them (and is not a patient/browser type shopper at the best of times......... )

Can't think of owt else MS to report, so I'll close.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. As ever.

Greying X

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,913Posts Today

7,242Users online

Martin's Twitter