Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    CN123
    Harringtons Advisory???
    • 29th Jun 14, 2:00 PM
    Harringtons Advisory??? 29th Jun 14 at 2:00 PM
    Hi, I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI. I have no idea what loan/credit card this may relate to so it's not something I can claim back myself as I wouldn't know where to start.

So, at the moment I don't think I'm owed anything so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?

They have advised that all I have to do is sign the forms and return and they will do all the rest...I've heard of people using companies like this and then being then told that the lenders want you to go in to a branch and sign papers etc and it's a nightmare. Is it worth getting involved? Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?

Advice gratefully received!
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 29th Jun 14, 2:12 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,017 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 29th Jun 14, 2:12 PM
    • 29th Jun 14, 2:12 PM
    I've been contacted by a company called Harringtons Advisory based in Bury, who tell me that I am on their list of people who are owed PPI.
    There is no such list. However, it is a common scam line that dodgy companies give out.

so I'm thinking that even though they will take 39%, I will still be better off than I am now if I sign these forms...yes?
    +20% VAT. However, these are sales reps paid commissions to get you to sign up. They rely on you telling them who you borrowed money with. They then send in a speculative letter on your behalf.

Am I actually owed money just because I'm on their list?
    Their list is the BT phonebook.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 29th Jun 14, 7:48 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    • 29th Jun 14, 7:48 PM
    • 29th Jun 14, 7:48 PM
    Their list is the BT phonebook.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Or some database they have illegally got hold of.
  • jamesd
    • 30th Jun 14, 11:07 AM
    • 30th Jun 14, 11:07 AM
    The forms they send you will ask you to tell them about all of the loans and credit cards. A typical claims company will send a claim to all of the companies without bothering to ask whether PPI was involved or not.

If they do have a list you should ask them for details of who they got it from so that you can report the matter to the Information Commissioner so that they can investigate and criminally prosecute those involved in the theft of information.
  • SarahJT
    • 30th Jun 14, 12:06 PM
    • 30th Jun 14, 12:06 PM
    I've just had a call from the same firm. Very persistent, persuasive caller. Used my stock 'send me something in writing' approach & was stunned when he said they did. I must've asked half a dozen times if getting something in writing constituted the start of a contract to which he replied 'no'. Really wishing I'd just hung up. Will see what arrives through the post, I've a feeling not responding won't go unnoticed!!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Jun 14, 12:18 PM
    • 24,045 Posts
    • 13,449 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 30th Jun 14, 12:18 PM
    • 30th Jun 14, 12:18 PM
    I must've asked half a dozen times if getting something in writing constituted the start of a contract
    Originally posted by SarahJT
    It doesn't start a contract. Only signing and returning the forms they send you will do that.

Really wishing I'd just hung up.
    Originally posted by SarahJT
    That would have been simpler. They'll likely now continue to ring asking why you haven't returned the forms…
  • basialo
    • 27th Oct 14, 9:38 AM
    Harringtons Advisory
    • 27th Oct 14, 9:38 AM
    Hi everyone, I have a little issue I need an advise on please from anyone in the same situation. I have been silly enough to sign up with the company above. They promised 8 weeks turn around for my PPI refund and to cut the story short, their communication is pretty much non existent. I just called them, placed a complaint, as it has crossed 2 months now and they claiming that the banks didn't respond yet. Other companies have 2 - 3 weeks turn around, so I said that it is not my business and it is their job to provide the services they promised. however I asked to stop the claim and waiting for a response from manager now. I just wanted to know whether someone is in the same situation or may have some advice for me? After the call with them, I also sent everything on email to have it "on record" and forwarded the email also to Financial ombudsman with a complaint...
    Any advise would be much appreciated..
    Thank you
    B.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 27th Oct 14, 10:17 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,017 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 27th Oct 14, 10:17 AM
    • 27th Oct 14, 10:17 AM
    After the call with them, I also sent everything on email to have it "on record" and forwarded the email also to Financial ombudsman with a complaint...
    The FOS does not deal with complaints about claims companies as they are not financial services companies. They come under the ministry of justice and that is who you should refer your complaint to.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 27th Oct 14, 10:23 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 27th Oct 14, 10:23 AM
    • 27th Oct 14, 10:23 AM
    The bank/finance people have 8 weeks to respond to your request (including accepting or rejecting) so if this firm promised money back in 8 weeks they were essentially claiming something they knew could not be true - did they put that in writing? Given the firm could reject it you would then expect them to refer it to the FOS automatically (as they are determined to get a cut so will push it as far as possible regardless of the merits of the case - just mean in general, not yours specifically).

They can refer it to FOS after 8 weeks whatever the bank says so not sure why they haven't unless they were being sensible and giving them some leeway to avoid the 2 year or so waiting period at FOS.

You can always withdraw from the contract but note they can charge you for "work" done no matter how little they actually do.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 27th Oct 14, 10:33 AM
    • 24,045 Posts
    • 13,449 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Other companies have 2 - 3 weeks turn around
    Originally posted by basialo
    Since the Banks are allowed eight weeks to consider complaints, and take that long in every instance, your statement is incorrect.
    I asked to stop the claim
    You can't "stop" the claim on the basis of a delay of only a few weeks. If the Bank have not responded, you'll have to be patient.

forwarded the email also to Financial ombudsman with a complaint…
    As above, the Ombudsman has no jurisdiction over claim companies. Unfortunately, even if you complain to the correct regulator The Ministry Of Justice, they won't act unless there has plainly been some misconduct. There has so far been no misconduct.

Note that you have signed a legally-binding contract for the claims company to represent you in your PPI complaints. Nowhere in the contract will a timescale be mentioned (or promised) and so a minor delay is not grounds for you to attempt to cancel the contract without penalty.

You can always withdraw from the contract but note they can charge you for "work" done no matter how little they actually do.
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Cancelling the contract is costly after the "cooling off" period has passed. The company will definitely charge.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 27th Oct 14, 3:42 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,835 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Can, will, but shouldn't, the money grabbing world of the PPI claims company
  • ehullis3823
    My mother was taken into hospital last week with a stroke and will not be out for a while. Now I remember a while back, probably about 6 months ago when I was still living at home that she told me solicitors acting on behalf of Natwest had contacted her about her about them miselling her PPI. I asked at the time whether they really were Natwest and she said yes. She is 68. I asked because I know I have had PPI calls at work and on my personal mobile which unless you ask the right questions, try their luck and cleverly word their conversation so I think mum was fished in by them and really believed they were Natwest/RBS solicitors and all she had to do was sign the paperwork she was sent by them. Had I known the true situation at the time I would have claimed for her directly with Natwest, but she didn't. Now she is in hospital, my sister and I are trying to arrange her bills to be paid (and of course, she is of the generation which don't pay ANYTHING by direct debit, causing a bit of a headache as I can pay the RBS cheques in but need to wait until LPA until I can pay money out on her behalf. However, I have discovered Harringtons Advisory paperwork which indicates that they want 39% of what they "won" for her! Within 10 days! Even if I pay the RBS cheques in and they clear, I can't write any cheques out on her behalf and to be honest, I know it would be difficult to argue whether she realised what she was signing, I do have a vague plan that I should do the following:
    1) Phone them and back up in a letter of her current situation i.e. she can't pay within their timescales.
    2) Ask them to stop further interest payments due to the delay
    3) Ask for a copy of any signed paperwork that she submitted to them (or inform them of my intent to rerequest once my sister and I have LPA)
    4) Ask for a copy of the transcript of the phone calls they have made (which I realise they will be able to charge?)
    I am disgusted that they would target an elderly lady with a cold call resulting in this and skimming over the truth that they are trying pot luck that she will say that she has had a loan with them. How do they find that out anyway? And we changed from Talktalk to BT because of the amount of sales calls she was getting and she is ex directory - how the hell did they get her number? CAn I legally ask them where they got it from? (Once my sister and I have LPA). My mum needs this money to cover her basic bills for at least the next six months and all us kids are chipping in, but to be honest, I think the amount they are expecting is absolutely unreasonable. Can I ask to have copies of all the documentation that they submitted in respect of the claim via an Information Directorate request (again, once have LPA?). Any advice gratefully received because this money will go towards getting whatever care she needs so that she can get home as soon as possible and not have to worry about no income for a couple of months.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Dec 14, 7:14 PM
    • 24,045 Posts
    • 13,449 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It really doesn't matter where the Claims company got your Mother's telephone number from, your Mother signed a legally-binding contract for them to represent her in PPI complaints. You may well be able to delay paying the bill, but you won't be able to have it written off simply due to her age.

I'm really not sure what you hope to gain by demanding documentary proof of her signing the contract.
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 9th Dec 14, 4:47 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star

1) Phone them and back up in a letter of her current situation i.e. she can't pay within their timescales.
    2) Ask them to stop further interest payments due to the delay
    3) Ask for a copy of any signed paperwork that she submitted to them (or inform them of my intent to rerequest once my sister and I have LPA)
    4) Ask for a copy of the transcript of the phone calls they have made (which I realise they will be able to charge?)
    Originally posted by ehullis3823

If your mother is capable of signing her name you need to draft a formal letter of complaint detailing the concerns and making it clear that should their response not be satisfactory (they have 8 weeks to give a full and final response) the complaint will be taken up with the Legal Ombudsman (who will accept complaints about claims management companies from 28 January)

Also send a subject access request making it clear that it should include recordings of all telephone calls and enclose a postal order for £10 https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information
  • suite001
    There is no such list.
    However,
    it is a common scam line that dodgy companies give out.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 9th Dec 14, 7:17 AM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    should their response not be satisfactory (they have 8 weeks to give a full and final response) the complaint will be taken up with the Legal Ombudsman (who will accept complaints about claims management companies from 28 January)
    Originally posted by Alpine Star
    Unfortunately, I think this will only apply to events which took place on or after that date, which this didn't - because we have not yet reached 2 January.

However, if they said they were acting for NatWest/RBS when they were not then that is fraud.

If they said they were solicitors when they are in fact a CMC that is also fraud.

If they failed to make it clear that she could make a complaint herself, free of charge, and of the availability of the Financial Ombudsman Service to her, that is a breach of the MOJ's Conduct of Authorised Persons Rules.

If your mother's phone is TPS registered and they cold called her that is also a breach of the Conduct of Authorised Persons Rules - and a criminal offence.
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 9th Dec 14, 4:00 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    Unfortunately, I think this will only apply to events which took place on or after that date, which this didn't - because we have not yet reached 2 January.
    Originally posted by magpiecottage

It's in the final consultation paper:

''the Legal Ombudsman will begin taking complaints about claims management companies at the end of January 2015. At this stage, we are working to a start date of 28 January 2015.''
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Dec 14, 10:16 PM
    • 24,045 Posts
    • 13,449 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by magpiecottage
    I agree that retrospective complaints will not be accepted.
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 10th Dec 14, 4:04 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    I agree that retrospective complaints will not be accepted.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

It wouldn't be retrospective. If it was then LeO couldn't possibly take complaints until the end of March.

Think about it.
  • PH318
    I signed up with this Company in Nov 2014 - I was fully aware of the fee they charged but I don't recall them mentioning that I would have to pay VAT too, though I suspect this is the case, although it is now Jan 2015 and I have had to chase them up to find out if there is anything owed to me. In the initial call it was 'suggested' that I 'might' get something back prior to Christmas 2014 (the main reason I agreed to undertake the process was that I have a young child and am currently in a financial slump) I suspect this was their 'party line' in the run up to Christmas, even though they were well aware that the backlog for claims was clearly running into more than the 8 weeks time limit given to the banks, and that they used this line to hook people in. In my case, the PPI is owed from a long time ago, this apparently means that my details will have been archived, making the process take even longer than usual and they say have no idea what sort of timescale is applied in this instance.
    In short, I've been waiting 3 months now and they still can't tell me how much (if anything) I can expect to receive (and keep) or when I will get it. Watch this space...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,802Posts Today

4,212Users online

Martin's Twitter