Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simon7685
    • By Simon7685 8th Mar 13, 9:08 PM
    • 1,068Posts
    • 446Thanks
    Simon7685
    Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good?
    • 8th Mar 13, 9:08 PM
    Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good? 8th Mar 13 at 9:08 PM
    As the title suggests I am considering leaving Sky and moving over to Freesat, I would appreicate any advice on whether Freesat is any good.

My situation is, I currently have the following with Sky;

Sky Entertainment Extra
    Multiroom
    HD Subscription - currently on a 12 month 1/2 price deal until May 2013
    Sky Talk Anytime calls
    Sky Line Rental
    Sky Broadband unlimited

Total cost = 67 a month

I have just found out that I can receive Freesat by simply plugging a box in as it comes from the same satellite via the Sky dish.

So in essence I can save around 35 a month by switching to Freesat. I will need to buy a PVR and a 2nd receiver for the teenage tearaways room, so around 300 to fork out. However that would be recovered in less than a year. don't want to do though is jump to find out Freesat is not all that it is made out to be. So any advice would be greatly appreciated especially from those that have Freesat and know how good or bad it is.

Thanks in advance
Page 3
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 11th May 14, 6:07 PM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    Does the TV work from its internal tuner?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
    • brovahelpa
    • By brovahelpa 11th May 14, 6:08 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    brovahelpa
    Hi, I can only describe it as picture is distorted as horizontal hold is running across screen. As I said the box is quite old, could it be that
    • brovahelpa
    • By brovahelpa 11th May 14, 7:23 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    brovahelpa
    yes TV works from internal tuner
    • Kurtis_Blue
    • By Kurtis_Blue 11th May 14, 7:43 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Kurtis_Blue
    Via Scart? Make sure they are fully home and/or try another.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 12th May 14, 11:59 AM
    • 7,944 Posts
    • 3,264 Thanks
    almillar
    Yep, sounds a lot like loose SCART lead. Or a poorly tuned analogue channel - this wouldn't be a dish or aerial issue for digital.
    • Moneymaker
    • By Moneymaker 12th May 14, 2:35 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    Moneymaker
    What's the Digibox make and model number on the label?
    Does a reboot fix it?
    • brovahelpa
    • By brovahelpa 12th May 14, 3:18 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    brovahelpa
    I found a loose scart lead so sky is working fine now. Thanks for your replies. Perhaps you could see my previous post regarding a new Panasonic led tv that keeps showing "No signal/service" I am now wondering if these models have a tuner problem. My previous Sony caused no problems at all.
  • grimley555
    Is NowTV an option?
    You could switch to Freesat and get yourself a NowTV box (9.99) and still have access to Sky 1, Fox etc for 4.99 a month, no contract. Dip in and out of it as you please without having to phone Sky to cancel or change. You could even get 2 Nowtv boxes and have one in your bedroom. You will be able to watch different Sky programs in each room without the need for a 'multiroom subscription' as you can register 4 devices (Nowtv boxes, laptops, tabets etc ) and watch on 2 of them at the same time (watching a different program or the same one).
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 31st Jul 14, 2:20 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    Welcome to the MSE forums grimley555.

Do you realise you're answering a thread which has been dormant for nearly 7 months?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 31st Jul 14, 2:25 PM
    • 24,001 Posts
    • 13,402 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Do you realise you're answering a thread which has been dormant for nearly 7 months?
    Originally posted by Heinz
    ...and reiterating information already posted in the thread over and over and over...
  • drewthemunky
    Converting to Freesat
    Hello all and apologies if this has already been done to death but I cannot see it anywhere.

I've just moved to a house with a dish and the previous owners have run cables through the wall, coming out at a duct in the chimney breast behind where their TV was mounted. From this I gather they must have had a TV with a Freesat card built in.

The terrestrial aerial in the loft is tiny and does not get a good enough signal to pick up channels, even using a booster.

My TV is an LG 42LH3000 with a built in freeview card. I understand that one doesn't decode the other's signal, but I'm looking for the cheapest way to receive some sort of TV!

So a few questions:

- Is there an internal TV card I can swap out to covert the TV to freesat?

- I also have a twin tuner freeview box with 1TB storage that I paid about 250 for a few years back, so don't really want to replace this if I can help it. Is there another box that can sit in front of it to receive the dish signal, convert it into a signal the freeview box can recognise then pass it to the TV from there? I found something on eBay called an 'RF MODULATOR FOR FREESAT FREEVIEW YOUVIEW - CONVERT SCART TO TV AERIAL RF COAX'
    (sorry, it won't let me post a link) - something like this, perhaps?

-At last resort I could always replace the terrestrial aerial I suppose...if any of the above if possible, would an aerial replacement be cheaper?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 16th Aug 14, 9:15 AM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    You need a Freesat box, try Humax Direct managers specials.

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/ProdCat/freesat?ck=factory
  • drewthemunky
    Thanks for the reply!

I guess I'm trying to avoid getting new 'main' equipment if possible, plus I would have to run a second cable from the dish to be able to record and have the same functionality I had in my last place. My question was really if I can convert / adapt my existing equipment or to spend less than the cost of a new box?
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 16th Aug 14, 10:08 AM
    • 4,756 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    To answer your questions - no

Your Freeview box can't be converted to receive satellite transmissions nor can your TV just get a card that gets Freesat.

You'll need to TV with Freesat functionality built in or a new Freesat box to allow you to watch/ record Freesat transmissions via your TV.

Humax (as recommended by penrhyn ) are amongst the best boxes.
    • penrhyn
    • By penrhyn 16th Aug 14, 11:13 AM
    • 15,006 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    penrhyn
    In which case either fit a new LNB to your dish and run the twin feed In using shotgun cable, with a new box, or sort out your aerial, costs would nbe similar I suspect.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 16th Aug 14, 11:44 AM
    • 9,696 Posts
    • 11,820 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    - Is there an internal TV card I can swap out to covert the TV to freesat?
    Originally posted by drewthemunky
    Very unlikely

- I also have a twin tuner freeview box with 1TB storage that I paid about 250 for a few years back, so don't really want to replace this if I can help it. Is there another box that can sit in front of it to receive the dish signal, convert it into a signal the freeview box can recognise then pass it to the TV from there? I found something on eBay called an 'RF MODULATOR FOR FREESAT FREEVIEW YOUVIEW - CONVERT SCART TO TV AERIAL RF COAX'
    (sorry, it won't let me post a link) - something like this, perhaps?
    Modulators will convert one channel of video to UHF. You'd have to connect:

DISH -- > Freesat box --> Modulator --> Freeview recorder aerial socket

and even then it would only work IF your Freeview recorder also has an analogue TV tuner, which it probably doesn't. It would be better to go from the Freesat box direct to the Freeview box IF the freeview recorder has SCART input sockets and can record from them, which it probably doesn't.

-At last resort I could always replace the terrestrial aerial I suppose...if any of the above if possible, would an aerial replacement be cheaper?
    Possibly.

You might be better buying a cheap Freesat box (about 40) to convert your existing TV, then sell the Freeview recorder and put the money towards a new Freesat+ recorder.

Or you could sign up to Sky which is probably the lowest initial cost, but will cost you more in the long term.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Moneymaker
    • By Moneymaker 16th Aug 14, 4:41 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    Moneymaker
    The terrestrial aerial in the loft is tiny and does not get a good enough signal to pick up channels, even using a booster.
    Are you certain that the booster is powered? It won't pass a signal without power.

The only purpose of a booster is to amplify the signal to overcome the losses when it's passed through a splitter or down a very long cable. Otherwise it's not needed.

If the aerial really is too small, put a larger one up there. If you divulge your postcode, we can tell you what aerial is likely to work best.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 17th Aug 14, 2:32 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    Rodders53
    The cheapest solution for you as you have Freeview PVR and TVs is to get a suitable aerial installed or upgrade / fix the existing.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/loftaerials.html and the rest of that site has a wealth of good advice.

A nearby postcode (within 1-200m of your home) would allow furher mor accurate advice on likelihood of aerials in a loft working etc.,. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/ in 'detailed view' will provide predicted reception, transitter etc,.,

Only if Freeview proves unworkable should you consider buying freesat kit to use the dish connections - unless you have spare cash and want the extra TV channels you may get that way.
    • the devil made me do it
    • By the devil made me do it 28th Aug 14, 11:43 AM
    • 5,433 Posts
    • 2,258 Thanks
    the devil made me do it
    Freesat question
    Does anyone know which channels are available on freesat?

Telephoned the dedicated freesat phone line and they couldn't tell me.

I just don't relish going through every single channel to find what's available.

Also, can you use the catch up service?
  • wiogs
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/channels

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/freesat-plus-with-freetime
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter