Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 72
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 23rd Feb 11, 12:28 PM
    • 5,101 Posts
    • 49,613 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent another €6.26 last night in Lidl on toothpaste, shampoo and stock cubes which I had forgotten in Aldi, brings my spend so far to €149.23, leaving me the sum total of €40.77 until the end of the month....seems quite a bit but I will need potatoes, some veg and meat for weekend when I have at least 4 extra mouths to feed, so will be doing well to make it I reckon.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 23rd Feb 11, 12:31 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    How do you do that?! I can only mean plan for a week maximum, I run out of ideas! Could you please and if you do not mind just post a few meals so I can get inspiration?

I have 4 kiwis I need to use, I saw a recipe with yogurt to make some kiwi frozen dessert so I think I will give it a try. If it is good, I will post it later.
    Originally posted by martafdz
    do you have a SC? i will post my 4wk plan when i get chance tonight.
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 23rd Feb 11, 12:37 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Xspender is the recipie for the quorn and leek pie you mentioned on here if not would you share it please it sounds nice.

another NSD here, jacket pots and quorn mince for dinner and we are out for a meal tonight with friends DH pays if we eat out
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 23rd Feb 11, 12:37 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Hello, my name is KarmaChi and I can't waste food!

OK there is a reason for the melodrama - last week my housemate made some lovely chocolate (& cougette!) cupcakes. And they lasted really well (I think because of the vegetable content) but then by this week they were a little dry, but we had a dozen left.

As I say, can't stand waste. Actually it's getting a little out of control - my housemates constantly over buy, so I go around hoovering up their abandoned fridge items! They haven't said anything, so I think they either don't mind or haven't even noticed!

So I came up with the idea of making tiramisu with the stale cake (I asked my housemate about this one, it wouldn't go unnoticed!)- had everything but the mascapone, so ended up spending 2.80 to rescue some cake that I hadn't paid for or made! And lost a NSD to it! I felt very conflicted over that one!

Ah well, it's not completely crazy, I have friends coming to stay tonight so now I have a lovely desert to serve them!

Also picked up some whoopsies when buying the mascapone, so another 3.55 to add to the total . . . off to update sig.
    Originally posted by karmachilovething
    great idea! i make cakes as a hobby for friends and family, and often have loads of off-cuts, etc. So what i do is layer the bottom of a dish with the cake offcuts, and then layer an angel delight over the top and stick in the fridge. Its so scrummy and even if the cake is a little stale the angel delight re-moistens it.

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

• jovi20
    • By jovi20 23rd Feb 11, 1:10 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    jovi20
    Last three days have been NSD's, However we are really getting down to the last few bits in the freezer. I have never seen it so empty, just got one loaf of bread, two part bags of frozen veg, 2 cod in batter portions, one weight w*tchers chocolate pudding (don't know how that managed to stay there so long), 4 beef burgers and some ice cubes.

Fridge isn't looking much better either, still got some eggs, milk , margarine, some left over beef from last night's dinner, some old carrots and 12 cans of diet c*ke. (We Can never run out of diet c*ke, I would rather eat the dried up carrots) Although I have just had an e-mail from As*a and they have an offer on at the moment, case of 30 cans of coca c*lo, or diet c*ke for 8.00, reduced from 10) Thats about 26.5p per can, can anyone get it cheaper elsewhere?

Looks like its the left over beef tonight, fish tomorrow and I'm going shopping after that!!

jovi20.
    2015 TARGETS

Weight loss 12.5/112lb 18th feb -4.5lb, 25th feb -2.5lb, 4th mar -2.5, 11th Mar -3,

Savings 100 per month 300 /1200
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 23rd Feb 11, 1:27 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    nsd for me today, i just relised with everything going on i havent been shopping in 2 weeks other than the cooked chicken a few days back and the bag of spuds, and acually we still have loads of food, i had intended on doing fortnightly shops next month to see how it goes i'm quite hopeful now , i'm gonna try hold out and see how long i can go without going now, since i have loads of bread in the freezer (and some bread flour) theres also 2liters of milk in there and lots of meat could prob do with some fresh veg tho
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • rosieben
    ... We used to buy lot of potato croquetts, waffles, ect and now I'm not buying them wonder what different things I can do with freash pot's to go with meals. Other then roast, sliced and diced. We don't like mash so that's out...thanks
    Originally posted by SavingJane
    you might find some more ideas on the How many things can you do with potatoes thread

we also have an Inspiration for New Potatoes thread

loads of other potato threads too, do an Advanced Search and select 'Search Titles Only'

cutiepieabf
    - I've put your 'potato ideas' post into the index
    Last edited by rosieben; 23-02-2011 at 1:42 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 23rd Feb 11, 2:42 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    you might find some more ideas on the How many things can you do with potatoes thread

we also have an Inspiration for New Potatoes thread

loads of other potato threads too, do an Advanced Search and select 'Search Titles Only'

cutiepieabf - I've put your 'potato ideas' post into the index
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Lol, thank you rosieben!!

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

• kirsty822001
    • By kirsty822001 23rd Feb 11, 2:49 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,109 Thanks
    kirsty822001
    hi I have nEARLY done it!!!
    I have 4 more meals to plan and cook but surely even i wont spend 35,,,,not tempting fate but am sooooo excited to hopefully come in at or under budget! I went shopping yesterday and already updated sig,,,Fridge/cupboards full of lunch stuff and have all stuff to replenish the tins with cakes and biscuits,,just gotta get some meat for tomorrows tea,,1 pizza for fri and something to cook for sat/sun/mon,,,,,meat for sun,,dunno for sat or mon,,prob leftovers mon or fry up so that leaves sat to sort wont be too hard.
    There is only a few bits left in freezer,,could russtle something together for sat,,maybe if everyone eats something different out freezer lol
    March already looming wow where do these months go?!
    Life happens when you are busy making other plans

Sealed Pot Member #1149 (340 saved 2011)
  • martafdz
    do you have a SC? i will post my 4wk plan when i get chance tonight.
    Originally posted by cutiepieabf
    what is a SC? Storage cupboard? If so, not really. I have a corner cupboard that is about 30cm deep and 60 cmm wide with a shelf in the middle. So one of those kitchen units cupboards in a corner. Also only a fridge freezer with 3 average drawers. I would like to buy a narrow chest freezer.
    It's a rented flat and the contract does not allow us to make holes on the wall, otherwise I could have put quite a few shelves. It's also a small flat and it's already overcrowded. I have cordial in the corridor, coffee and washing tablets in a box behind a table and all the cleaning stuff in the bathroom underneath the sink. There's no room underneath the bed, otherwise it would be great as I could put loads but for some stupid reason the divan we have is a block that goes right to the ground and does not allow for storage under the bed, only dust and fluff.. My first proper week of planning is going well, I am sticking to it. But I think I will buy the freezer in March so I could store many other fresh items like bread and avoid the stores more.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    • Sunflower1227
    • By Sunflower1227 23rd Feb 11, 3:17 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 22,390 Thanks
    Sunflower1227
    Hi everyone

to everyone who needs one, hope you are all well.

I havent posted for a few weeks but kept up with my signature and very happy to say final figure for Feb is 229.86 i know im over by 4.86, but i have taken into account my spend at Boots stocking up on shampoo, shower gel, deoderant & bubble bath, must have enough for 6-9 months. Big thanks to OP on the Boots offer thread, spent 19.19 but saved about 50

Need to have a think about Marchs budget and what I need to stock up on.

Just like to say a BIG THANKS to everyone on the thread, just wish I had found it many years ago, but never mind, just look forward.

Got to go now to bake some cookies and put tea on.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

Weight loss 3 stone
    • monicaj
    • By monicaj 23rd Feb 11, 3:21 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    monicaj
    Woop Woop Woop !!!
    Absolutely delighted to come in at 260.45/ !300 for the month !!!

Started to fortnightly plan and have saved loads - please don't ask me how but it has!! - It is probably due to a friend donating us a huge freezer free of charge so I'm happy to batch cook now and take advantage of special offers that are freezable. So - taking the bull by the horns, I have meal planned for 4 weeks for March - done my online shop and spend 160 for the month with the only extras needed for the month:

2 weeks fresh fruit and veg

Hoping to come in at 220 but happy to leave the 300 budget there for now.

Truthfully - I can't believe that we used to spen 150 per WEEK but we are now eating happily and healthily !!!

BTW for me my inspiration for meal planning comes from trying at least one new recipe per week - new ingredients, new flavours and lots of savings - I'm truly LOVING it !

Well done to all for Feb and good luck for March

Monica
  • scotsaver
    Although I have just had an e-mail from As*a and they have an offer on at the moment, case of 30 cans of coca c*lo, or diet c*ke for 8.00, reduced from 10) Thats about 26.5p per can, can anyone get it cheaper elsewhere?

jovi20.
    Originally posted by jovi20
    Hi jovi - Lid! seem to have 6 pack cans of Peps!, l!lt, !rn-bru etc etc every week for 1.39, it varies every week, not sure what's in there this week as not been in for a few days.HTH
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 23rd Feb 11, 3:54 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Xspender is the recipie for the quorn and leek pie you mentioned on here if not would you share it please it sounds nice.

another NSD here, jacket pots and quorn mince for dinner and we are out for a meal tonight with friends DH pays if we eat out
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    Here is the Quorn and Leek Pie recipe. It is from their cook book that they are offering for about 3 I think on their packs. If you eat quorn often I can recommend it.

This feeds 4 but I use 200g quorn pieces and half the pastry to make a pie for me and DH.

300g quorn chicken pieces
    150g plain flour
    1/4 tsp mustard powder
    50g butter diced
    75g grated wensleydale (I use mature cheddar cos I have it in)
    5-6 tbsps cold water

40g butter
    1tsp veg oil
    2 medium leeks sliced
    2 cloves of garlic crushed
    25g plain flower
    1/2 tsp mustard butter
    1 veg stock cube dissolved in 100ml boiling water
    200ml milk

Pre heat oven to 200c/400c/gas 6

Make the pastry first by mixing the flour and mustard poeder then rubbing in the butter. Mix in cheese then add enough water to make a dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins.

Next, melt the butter and oil in a pan, add the leeks and cook for about 5 mins until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic and quorn pieces and cook for a further 2 mins. Stir in the flour and mustard powder and cook for a minute. Gradually add the stock and milk and stir until thickens. Sppon onto a pie plate or dish.

Roll out the pastry and cover the dish. Brush with milk to glaze and cut a vent for the steam.

Bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.

I have also used a mixture of leeks and broccoli. We like it best with HM chips and peas.
    • SavingJane
    • By SavingJane 23rd Feb 11, 3:58 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    SavingJane
    Thank you everyone that has posted great ideas on things to do with potatoes....I now have a load of different ideas which is great

Thanks again

Jane
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
  • rosieben
    Thank you everyone that has posted great ideas on things to do with potatoes....
    Originally posted by SavingJane
    I forgot to say that you'll find loads of potatoes threads listed under Vegetables in post #8 of the Complete Cooking Collection

just in case you didn't have enough

XSpender - I've added your Quorn and Leek Pie to the recipe list
    Last edited by rosieben; 23-02-2011 at 4:28 PM.

• rosieben
    I've had to change around the recipe lists on the front page as some of the posts are full up; sorry if it causes any confusion for those of you used to the old running order

• Sparklyfairy
    • By Sparklyfairy 23rd Feb 11, 5:31 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Sparklyfairy
    Hi All, hope everyone is well! Popped into Morrisons & Aldi & spent a grand total of 6 making my total for the month 186! Whoop Whoop! 2 under budget & that'll be it for us for the month...I did an order with AF & it came to 25 which will come out of March's budget...due to arrive tomorrow - excited as they have lots of nice bread flour & I plan on using some new recipes for hm bread! Have a great Weds, all! SF xx
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 23rd Feb 11, 7:45 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    hi not posted for ages on here and totally lost track this month, so im ready to start a fresh in March
    Please put me down for 260 mrs mccawber.
    (((hugs))) to thiose that need them..
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 23rd Feb 11, 7:48 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    what is a SC? Storage cupboard? If so, not really.
    Originally posted by martafdz
    hee hee, SC i meant slow cooker.
    Ok so this is my 4wk plan:
    wk1
    Jacket potatoes with various fillings
    homemade pizza (make an extra one for freezer)
    homemade burgers
    homemade curry (from SC) and homemade chips
    chicken and brocolli pie with mash and honey mustard veg (make extra one for freezer)
    sausage, apple and leek pie with new pots (one extra for freezer)
    honey mustard chicken (from SC) with roast veg

wk2
    chicken carbonara
    sausage and mash bake
    cheese and potato pie (one extra for freezer) with pork chops
    gammon egg and homemade chips
    chicken enchilladas
    potato bake (one extra for freezer) with turkey steaks
    cheesy tortellini

wk3
    lasagne
    beef stew (from SC) with homemade crusty bread
    turkey pasta (usually just a throw in whatever is left in fridge jobby)
    sausage casserole and mash
    stuffed chicken and new pots
    chicken in white wine sauce (from SC) roast pots
    Eating out

wk 4
    Freezer surprise
    creamy honey, mustard and cider pork (from SC) and mash
    toad in the hole
    curry and chips
    pizza (from freezer)
    coq au vin (from SC) and new pots
    hot dogs

as you can tell some of the days are lazier than others but that is due to OH not getting in from work until 11pm some nights, or having to do something quick between work and going out. I have only just bought the slow cooker so i am experimenting at the moment and hope to make more use of it as time goes on.
    you can also tell... WE LOVE MASH!!! especially cheesy mash or spring onion mash or w.g mustard seed mash. mmmmm.
    i am also getting good at making double portions of things and freezing one for a later date. this way it saves money next month and can just be stuck in the oven and taste just as good second time around.

if you want recipes for anything let me know.

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,222Posts Today

4,289Users online

Martin's Twitter