Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 89
    • Mollymop5
    • By Mollymop5 13th Jul 08, 7:48 AM
    • 2,089 Posts
    • 6,791 Thanks
    Mollymop5
    Morning everyone.Haven't been able to pop in much these days.Busy busy busy.Did a big shop in Asda on Friday.kids now excited cos we have food in lol.70 spent so I've updated total.Maybe I will keep in budget this month!
    lost my way but now I'm back ! roll on 2013
    spc member 72

• savingfortravel
    Hi Mandy-Moo-1
    What a lazy hound I am. I've just got up. switched on the computer and flicked the kettle switch.
    Meanwhile (as on most days) you've done loads already!! I admire you so much... I always write a list of jobs at the weekends but find it hard to stick to as my work is so structured I think my body resists too much organisation on my days off.
    Sleep is a wonderful medicine...I also feel a whole lot better today. Despite a wierd dream of going to teach in Guinea, Africa.
    OB has been the star of our team. He's already picked a tub of raspberries, our first cucumber, a tub of red currants and a tub of blueberries.
    Any suggestions for the raspberries, red currants and blueberries anyone??

SFT
    Last edited by savingfortravel; 13-07-2008 at 8:30 AM.
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • mama67
    • By mama67 13th Jul 08, 8:32 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Morning all

KAAT_LADY hope you had a good nights sleep I've started myself off too, imagining what user names look like- whatever keeps us amused

zoe260373 hope you are feeling a bit better this morning

denisefowler thanks you've reminded me I ought to keep an eye on freecycle for freezers have been watching a few on ebay but they are going for nearly 50 a time

Welcome savingpennies we did exactly the same as you- we were finding things a bit tight start of this year so cancelled Sky (only extravagance) and cut bills I had thought we couldn't do much about our 500 ish grocery bill- since lurking and then joining this board have noticed a big difference and things feel a bit better again despite fuel and food prices. Everyone is very friendly and helpful too

Can anyone post me to a fool proof crumble topping for tonight (free rhubarb from neighbour's mum very MSE ) have made them a bit soggy in past!

Sorry ended up being long!!

Smetf (with fingers crossed this little bit of sunshine lasts for the tea party)
    Originally posted by smetf
    Might be a bit late but I do the normal 4,2,2 crumble mix and then add in a handfull of oats as well, gives it a nice nuttyness and doesn't go so soggy.

On another point with the oats, I'm used to be lucky to use 1kg in 2-3 months, have used a kg in just under a month with adding into bolog etc. good job they are still a cheap item 59p/kg bag in Mr T last week.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
    • mama67
    • By mama67 13th Jul 08, 8:55 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Hi everyone,

Kaat_Lady - the caulis look lovely...

Just updating my sig.. have only 9.80 left but that is only till Friday when i get paid and we don't need anything else - hopefully if i can keep my money in my pocket I should come under budget again this month... Amazing really because i've stocked up on enough cat food to last 6 months!!

Have been baking today - Naan breads, Mrs M's tortillas, buttermilk pancakes(from the butter i made the other week) and a loaf of wholemeal.. feeling very pleased with myself as they are all lovely - thanks to everyone who posted the recipes and OH is loving all the food he's geting!

You guys are such an inspiration... when i stand in the supermarkets these days i look at everything and think "well i know theres a recipe to make that on GC boards so i'm won't be pay 2 for it!!"

Moo x
    Originally posted by shala_moo
    I've been using the buttermilk from butter making as well (used the Mr T 1/pint cream) to replace the water in my bread loaves, they come out lovely and soft.

Cookery club this week we made bread and butter, so I also got all the buttermilk (1 ltr) from that as well.
    Kids thought it great and all parents have been complementing me on the bread.
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • KITTY
    Room for one more?
    Sorry folks been awol lately. I just can't get myself on the pc at night following a full day at work. Still not doing too badly with the spending. Had 3 no spend days this week. The other days were just small things - lunch and milk for work, and sandwich stuff for a school trip. So only just over 6 spent.

Off to Asda this morning for some bits for work lunches, cat food, milk and bread. I'm sure there are other things needed but can't think of them at moment. I'll post my new totals later, but looking good for this month.

Take care, Kitty x

Merry Christmas
  • dink1
    hi Guys
    quick post to wish everyone a great day, will catch up with posts later hopefully a nsd
    Dink1
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
  • zekepes
    • Bought 5 lbs of mince (good stuff from the butcher) and batch cooked it with the usual - carrots, onion, beef stock, thyme, chopped tomatoes and puree. The froze into 16 portions as a base for future con carne, lasagne, bolognese, cottage pie....Hopefully stopping the 'haven't got anything in let's get a takeaway conversation'
    • Avoided even looking at the other things in the farm shop that we didn't need.
    • Bought my fruit and veggies from the greengrocer (cheaper than supermarket)
    • Avoided the saturday boredom shopping trips (e.g. let's go to Waitrose home for something to do')
    This challenge has been a almost life changing for me! At 35 I feel grown up and in control HAHA! We are spending less on groceries and eating better. WOW! I just need to work on not looking back over the rest of adult life and feeling shame and regret and all the money wasted and great meals not had
  • lingojingo
    Just popped out for milk and spent 6.15 But got lots of BBQ stuff whoopsied as use by today. If the sun stays out we might have BBQ with some of it later, otherwise I'll freeze it all. Got 4 chicken breasts and 4 legs (marinated), 8 burgers, 8 cumberland sausages and also 3 small baguettes for 10p (they'll be fine with some water sprinkled on and a quick blast in hot oven).
    hoping to keep in my budget, but DD has finished college now, so it'll be tough as she can munch away all day

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 13th Jul 08, 9:48 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Morning all,
    Well not much happening here today, DH away for a church trip but I really did not fancy it much. DS throwing all his toys around his cot/room, I am still v. tired, also not sleeping too well and having headaches so hoping for a quiet, likely NS day. Finally finsihed the back of DS cardi last night so will start on the sleeves today.
    Hugs to all who need them and ta ra for now.
    • mama67
    • By mama67 13th Jul 08, 9:57 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Simple alioli=

4 TBSP MAYO
    1 TABLESPOON CRUSHED GARLIC
    1 DASH PARSLEY OR MIXED HERBS
    1 DASH BLACK PEPPER
    SQUEEZE OF LEMON JUICE

Mix together,chill serve with any veggies,crostinis,HM bread sticks,french toast,toasted bread roll with crushed tomatoes -yumyum

I make 2-3 batches a week and give veggie sticks to kids while waiting on dinner to be ready.

annelouise
    Originally posted by annelouise
    Thanks Annalouise, this is one dip that as a family we all like, this will be good to be able to just whip up if we fancy dips rather than having to buy.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 13th Jul 08, 10:02 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    £2 yesterday for milk & YES...50p to get the book.

I DID reserve online thru the county council website.....that's probably WHY I've had to pay Not wishing to go too far off topic, but our district is run by idiots snobs:rolleyes: two-legged twassux who have rosettes the colour of the sea.......I REFUSE to say the name of the colour, cuz it's what the favoured footie team wears

There have been rumours for the past 10 years or more of an Asda moving into their catchment, but to no avail. A couple of Lidl, sprinkling of Peacocks & a Wilkos is about as far as they are prepared to go to give people a 'choice'. Their interpretation of various National Policies is a joke that was never funny; 98% only qualify cuz they have second homes here & all are 'professional' people with too much money & not enough sense.

So it may be a pleasant place to spend the odd hour, strolling thru the bit of greenery we have left or a whiffy wander by the water....but I urge you to SERIOUSLY consider moving down here to live for any length of time.

Other than that........figuring on staying home & doing some baking Oh & Yes Please OrkneyStar, I'd like the recipe please--I love 'lumpy bread'
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 13th Jul 08, 10:13 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Oatmeal bread
    Oh & Yes Please OrkneyStar, I'd like the recipe please--I love 'lumpy bread'
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    I got this from the internet years ago but cannot remember where.....

This is for BM but I suspect you could make it by hand too.
    • 1 cup old fashioned oats
    • 1&3/8 to 1&1/2 cups water (or milk/water) plus 1 tbsp buttermilk (I only add the buttermilk if I have any, not very often)
    • 3 tbsp honey
    • 1-1&1/2 tbsp salt
    • 2 tbsp butter (could use oil)
    • 3 cups bread flour (I normally use white)
    • 2 tsp active dry yeast
    Add all ingredients to pan in that order, using least amout liquid initially.
    Observe the dough as it kneads and if it sounds like it is straining after 5-10 mins add more water in tbsp additions until soft, smooth and slightly tacky.
    Cook on white bread cycle under med crust setting, and remove straight after baking ends. Wait approx 1 hr before slicing.
    hth
  • Herbaholic
    I'm not sure if you are behaving yourselves... Surely he's not on the MS menu?
    But he does look delicious.
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    Ohhhh if he was I'd be going over budget EVERY month lol
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul 134.03/150.00 ; Jun 278.86/275.00 ; May 276.13/280.00
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 13th Jul 08, 10:29 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    hi guys,hope you are all well,sorry i dint post yesterday but by the time id caught up nobody was online anyway,well apart from the night owl HWGA anyway,thankyou to everyone who sent get well wishes,bless ya all,((((mandy-moo)))) hope you keep getting better and better huni. i have totaly blown it this month but on a good note,ive enough grub to feed a small army in the freezersjust been on freecycle looking for another freezer,but no luck anyway,off to help OH strip wallpaper off bedroom walls,have a great day all,x
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/300spends already this month-animal food-28,mr T shop-119.plus local shop spends total spent 257,
  • annelouise
    SANDY2

That sounds fab to add roquefort - it is really cheap at our Lidl so it's on my list.

Have counted all my cents and got 5 euros of pin money to spend on extra baguettes this week as a treat.

Cereal,toast and custard for the kids breakfasts this morning.
    Jackets for lunch,HM Fishcake for me
    Pasta Pesto and HM garlic bread

Just boiling some chickpeas for hummus/houmous

Baking a la dd9 later as her siblings baked yesterday and ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!

Have taken leftover spag bol and roast dinner portions out for tomorrow lunch to free yet more freezer space so we're doing ok this morning.

annelouise

Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • SAV3R
    Well the weather is much nicer today, have been up early so 2nd load of bedding already on line outside. DS1 has gone on school trip to France today, need to keep busy, I am a born worrier, wont settle til he phones to say he's there.

Did a good grocery shop this weekend, we are well stocked up, meals planned for rest of month, just need fruit and veg and dairy etc. Possible chance of BBQ next weekend, will buy fresh for that though so I can freeze what's not used.

Thinking of taking DS2 out this afternoon, he was upset about DS1 going away. BM is on - fancy a picnic at park, with my sister and her kids.

We visited LIDL for first time yesterday, had already done shooping, we were just killing time while DS2 at a party. I wasn't very impressed, some of the prices were more than we paid in Tesco. Suppose it's like all the s'markets you need to shop around. Did buy 6 bags of flour though.
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 13th Jul 08, 11:26 AM
    • 4,640 Posts
    • 35,519 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    good morning everyone

(((((((((((((9hugs))))))))))))

I have just woke up and the day is about over will catch up on posts later I am just going to jump in the shower and have some brekkie

see you soon
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 13th Jul 08, 12:06 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Denise I know what you meant but your posts make it look like you paid a bit of extra money and suffered a boring lecture to avoid getting points rather than that you learnt you shouldnt be speeding.
    Also you say the punishment is too light. What sort of punishment would deter you from speeding? Obviously the risk of death hasnt stopped you. So what punishment would? :rolleyes:

Nikki
    x
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Hi Nikki,
    As you know, I have answered your PM, so won't go into it on here, but for anyone else reading, it was not as it read if you took it in the same way as Nikki, I do not always explain myself properly in writing, I was not taking it lightly, rather I was making light of an embarrasing situation as I always do.

I apologise to anyone I offended and hope you will all forgive me if I have. This is not the place to discuss this and I will not post any more on the subject, but will be happy to speak to anyone who wishes to via PM.
    Denise
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
    • teedy23
    • By teedy23 13th Jul 08, 12:08 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 5,245 Thanks
    teedy23
    i have SO fallen back into my old ways this week. Bought too much food seeing as the freezer is full to bursting, will have to cook a load of stuff today and hope it,s still edible for a few days. So apart from milk WILL NOT spend on food this week.
    Dabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early
    Street finds for 2018 26:49.
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 13th Jul 08, 12:24 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Ohhhh if he was I'd be going over budget EVERY month lol
    Originally posted by Herbaholic
    Ha ha, I know the feeling, I think we should start a petition to get Tesco to start selling them...

Mandy Moo I hope you are feeling better today, I know what you mean about the grey skies, they really get me down too and I'm sure that's why this blasted cold has lasted so long...

BigMummaF Sounds like you really LOVE your council, helpful are they?

HWGO Glad to be of help

Not up too early today, had a bit of a lay in, but have cleaned bathroom, lounge, hallway & kitchen now, so just need to 'motivate' DS into finishing his bedroom (he moves something then sits down worn out again , why don't they get it that if they just do it, it's done and they can do whatever they want then????????

Oh, well, here goes nothing.....
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,068Posts Today

7,514Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Unbelievable. I needed a cab to rush for an interview re Facebook. Saw one stop, man getting out with suitcases. He? https://t.co/rw1BpZoZga

• RT @susannareid100: Well done Martin - this is important. I get lots of enquiries about ads with my image promoting diet pills. Don?t giv?

• Follow Martin