Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • angela110660
    • By angela110660 19th Jun 04, 10:19 PM
    • 790Posts
    • 2,070Thanks
    angela110660
    Home made wine and stockists of equipment
    • 19th Jun 04, 10:19 PM
    Home made wine and stockists of equipment 19th Jun 04 at 10:19 PM
    Got a bargain at car boot last Sunday - Boots wine kit for 1 ! Couple of small bits missing so went to Boots today and my branch does not stock kits or spares any more.
    Any suggestions please as to who does stock equipment such as demi john corks etc quite cheaply and also any good recipe books to look for.
    Many thanks. ???
Page 1
    • WeirdoMagnet
    • By WeirdoMagnet 20th Jun 04, 7:14 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    WeirdoMagnet
    • 20th Jun 04, 7:14 PM
    Re: Home made wine and stockists of equipment
    • 20th Jun 04, 7:14 PM
    Hi Angela,

Your right - Boots no longer do home brewing kit.

You'll have to search for your local home brew shop try searching for 'brewing' for your area on www.yell.co.uk or http://www.youngshomebrew.co.uk for tips and an e-mail link for local stockists.

Happy brewing (and drinking)! ;D
  • blondierowe
    • 20th Jun 04, 7:28 PM
    • 20th Jun 04, 7:28 PM
    Hi Angela,

Wilkinson's used to do Home Brewing kit but haven't been in there for awhile so not sure if they still do.
  • archived user
    • 22nd Jun 04, 10:01 AM
    • 22nd Jun 04, 10:01 AM
    Hi,

www.whitbyhomebew.co.uk, is another good one.

I have just ordered a starter kit from them, and they do all the little bits, like bungs, too.

Do a websearch for the wine receipe you are looking for, and loads of odd little sites come up. I also bought a homemade wine and beer recipie book off Ebay, so might be worth having a look on there too.

Never made home made wine before but that elderflower tree in the garden is just going to waste!!

;D Have fun!
  • archived user
    • 22nd Jun 04, 10:03 AM
    • 22nd Jun 04, 10:03 AM
    Whoops!
    that should have been, "brew" not "bew" in that website address...!
    Sorry! :
    • angela110660
    • By angela110660 22nd Jun 04, 2:11 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 2,070 Thanks
    angela110660
    • 22nd Jun 04, 2:11 PM
    • 22nd Jun 04, 2:11 PM
    Thanks for all the advice folks and I shall now follow it up and hopefully be on my way very soon.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 22nd Jun 04, 5:58 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 22nd Jun 04, 5:58 PM
    • 22nd Jun 04, 5:58 PM
    Wilkinson's still does homebrew equipment.
    The best place near me is a charity shop that always seems to have demijohns in it. The BEST homebrew i ever made was a kit to make peach schnapps, but that was from Boots who now dont do home brew
    I have made beer from one of those bags you just hang up, from www.hawkin.com and wine from a variety of methods, including a wine box kit, using yeast and using natural methods - that is relying on the yeast present on the skin of the fruit used.
    Ive got a really old home brewing book thats out of print, got it in a second hand shop.
    So, charity shops are worth scouring, and ask any older friends or relatives, especially if you know anyone in rural areas - they seem to be able to make wine from anything, including peapods!
  • Gotabiscuit
    • 24th Jun 04, 4:53 AM
    • 24th Jun 04, 4:53 AM
    The following site is also very good - they even do filters for the old Boots kit.

http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/
  • ambersmita
    • 25th Jun 04, 12:05 AM
    • 25th Jun 04, 12:05 AM
    www.jphomebrew.com is another good site and they will also give freindly advice over the phone - they also have excellent recipies on the site - I have just made my first Organic Elderflower Cordial - I love homebrewing I am also in the middle of my first proper kit - 8 litres of Irish Cream "Baileys Styleee" nice!!!! Home brew is great I am a home brew newbie and got most of my kit from car boots -you' ll be surprised what you can find. What I want to know is when is there going to be a TV series to give home brew the kind of makeover that cooking and DIY have had - I can imagine it right now - Lawrence LL Bowen slashed enjoying a homemade chablis with Ainsley Harriott and Delia smith!! Homebrew is no longer about beards and tanktops its about good old fashioned cheap alcohol and long may it rule!!!
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    http://www.jphomebrew.co.uk/
  • Plumpud
    My Husband has made a lot of homebrew over the years. Beer, cider, wine and his ever popular non-alcoholic elderflower champagne. Using kits and from scratch.

I've bought loads of books from charity shops. Because they are all quite old, I've never paid more than 50p for one.

Charity shops and car boot sales are good places to pick up items like demi-johns.

For supplies, we use a local shop B & J Homebrew. They don't have a website or do mail order unfortunately, but if you are ever in the area, they are well worth a visit. http://www.d2engineering.co.uk/GreatBritishBeer/homebrewDetails.asp?Id=59

It is run by a retired chap, who has won literally hundreds of awards for homebrewing (they are on a wall in the shop). There is nothing he doesn't know. The shop is run more like a hobby than a business. If you do fancy giving it a visit, ring them first to check opening times as they are pretty restricted and seem to change quite often.

Incidentally, the very large Boots in Cheltenham sells homebrew kits, but there is a very small choice.
  • Austin_Allegro
    I've made home made wine, and although its nothing like 'real' wine it's perfectly drinkable, especially as a mixer. The last lot I made only required 2l of orange juice, a litre of apple juice, some yeast and about 700g of sugar, so worked out at about 40p a bottle!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 6th Nov 04, 8:53 PM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,357 Thanks
    Caterina
    I have just put a large order of wholefoods through together with a friend. While we were doing the order, her husband came in and asked us to order a large tub of honey (3kg). He is going to make mead for us!

Can't wait for it to be ready - takes 1 year or so to be ready and matured apparently - something to look forward to for next Christimas!

If anyone wants it I am going to ask him the recipe and post it here.

Caterina
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 8th Nov 04, 9:36 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    Boots used to do a lovely Hedgerow kit. It was a rose wine - really fruity with lots of elderberry in. I'm just thinking how much I miss it :'(

We used to have a small home-brew shop near us, and it rented out fruit and veg 'mashers' - big barrels with rotating metal spades to break up all the fibres.

One year we made parsnip wine (which didn't need a masher) and for this particular recipe, you use the water that you've boiled the veg in, not the veg, itself. The freezer was full all winter with parsnips - I wasn't going to waste them ;D mind you, the wine tasted awful but it was so strong, after half a glass, you didn't care ;D ;D
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Nov 04, 10:46 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    We made barley wine once and although we didn't like it hubbys pal came over and spent a happy afternoon finishing it off!

Don't forget even a less than perfect home made wine can be used in casseroles etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,151Posts Today

7,083Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• RT @Screeeeamer: @dwlstacey @MartinSLewis @TUIUK Dear mr Stacy, I need to let you know of a slight amendment to the Porsche 911 you ordered?

• Follow Martin