Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    mink35
    I've been a very good MS housewife today
    • 25th Oct 04, 12:18 AM
    I've been a very good MS housewife today 25th Oct 04 at 12:18 AM
    Okay. So today I have made green tomato chutney. I had tomatoes from my mum's plants (that she planted earlier in the year before she died), apples from her apple tree, onions from a friend. I had to buy vinegar (1) and demerara sugar (65p). Spices I had in stock. Made tons of jars. Will be ready for Christmas! mmm

Also cooked Sunday lunch doing enough cabbage and spuds for bubble and squeak tomorrow (can't remember the last time I had it!)

Also cooked chili for son cos he will be eating earlier in the day AND froze a portion as well.

In between all this I put a loaf in the breadmaker, walked the dog and did the shopping!

V. busy day but don't you feel you've achieved something when you had that sort of a day!
Page 1
  • Quackers
    • 25th Oct 04, 1:37 AM
    Re: I've been a very good MS housewife today
    • 25th Oct 04, 1:37 AM
    Wooooooo Hooooooooooo!

Well Done Mink ;D

I thought I was good today - until I read your thread :

I didn't moneysave but I did clean out & tidy EVERY cupboard in the kitchen. I hate that job

And then I made Spag Bol. Had to make a veggie one for me & meat one for rest of family : but made lots and am adding kidney beans and chilli powder to it tomorrow so it will fit ever so nicely into enchilada's - yum , yum ;D ;D ;D
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 25th Oct 04, 11:39 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    • 25th Oct 04, 11:39 AM
    • 25th Oct 04, 11:39 AM
    I know what you mean! I love it when Ive painted the house, cooked half a dozen meals, took the dogs for a walk, done all my washing and ironing and its still only 10.00 am!!! ;D
    • By 16011996 25th Oct 04, 3:18 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 25th Oct 04, 3:18 PM
    • 25th Oct 04, 3:18 PM
    I know what you mean! I love it when Ive painted the house, cooked half a dozen meals, took the dogs for a walk, done all my washing and ironing and its still only 10.00 am!!! ;D
    lol.

i did a lot of cleaning and clearing out yesterday, then the kids came back from camp and i wondered why i bothered.
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 25th Oct 04, 5:38 PM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 49,803 Thanks
    MimiJane
    • 25th Oct 04, 5:38 PM
    • 25th Oct 04, 5:38 PM

If you can do all that by 10am, can I "borrow" you next week please?? I'll even pay you 10 an hour if you can work at that speed. ;D ;D
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 25th Oct 04, 6:21 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    • 25th Oct 04, 6:21 PM
    • 25th Oct 04, 6:21 PM
    Then you can come to me for the next 2 hours!!!!
  • mink35
    • 25th Oct 04, 6:28 PM
    • 25th Oct 04, 6:28 PM
    Lol. Can't stand ironing! Definitely didn't do any of that and not had to do anything much today (except work). Going to cook the bubble n squeak in a minute with sausages then sit back and relax for the rest of the evening!! ;D
    • carrottopsuk
    • By carrottopsuk 27th Oct 04, 1:32 AM
    • 386 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    carrottopsuk
    • 27th Oct 04, 1:32 AM
    • 27th Oct 04, 1:32 AM
    Okay. So today I have made green tomato chutney. I had tomatoes from my mum's plants (that she planted earlier in the year before she died), apples from her apple tree, onions from a friend. I had to buy vinegar (1) and demerara sugar (65p). Spices I had in stock. !Made tons of jars. Will be ready for Christmas! mmm

Also cooked Sunday lunch doing enough cabbage and spuds for bubble and squeak tomorrow (can't remember the last time I had it!)

Also cooked chili for son cos he will be eating earlier in the day AND froze a portion as well.

In between all this I put a loaf in the breadmaker, walked the dog and did the shopping!

V. busy day but don't you feel you've achieved something when you had that sort of a day! !

Youve put me to shame !:-[ Any good recipies for green tomato chutney?
  • mink35
    • 28th Oct 04, 12:01 PM
    • 28th Oct 04, 12:01 PM
    The recipe I use is from an old cookbook but it is lovely.

2lb green tomatoes
    8oz apples
    1.5lb onions
    1 pt vinegar (I use pickling vinegar but you can just use malt)
    8oz sultanas
    8oz demerara sugar
    2 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp cayenne pepper

cut tomatoes into halves/quarters depending on size, peel and slice apples and onions. Put in large pan with vinegar. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 30 mins. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 2-3 hours (you can still see the onions and tomatoes but apple will disappear) Put into warmed jars (metal screw top lids like jam jars) and store in a cool dark place until Christmas! Don't be tempted to eat it too soon because it's both sugary and vinegary!

I doubled this quantity and I think it made 10 jam jars full.
    • By 16011996 28th Oct 04, 12:15 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    that sounds yum. think i'll have to give that a go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,307Posts Today

5,694Users online

Martin's Twitter