Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Galtizz
    • 22nd Oct 04, 2:41 PM
    Re: Shocked by shocks!
    • 22nd Oct 04, 2:41 PM
    Carry a sheet of BOUNCE with you (and repel insects too) !;D

But seriously, Aren't rubber soles on your shoes supposed to stop shocks? !Something to do with earthing the electricity - like, in the car is the safest place to be if you're struck by lightning :-/.

• Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 22nd Oct 04, 3:47 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    • 22nd Oct 04, 3:47 PM
    • 22nd Oct 04, 3:47 PM
    Allexie,
    i am exactly the same, i have now got into the habit of shutting the car door with my elbow, or my coat as i can't touch them without getting a massive shock!

What causes it? !Perhaps it's just our electric personalities ....... ! !;D

(Edited as i can't spell)

By the way i read your post from ages ago re putting your own picture on here.................what do you think? !Thanks ! ! !

;D !;D !;D !(very chuffed, i'm also up to 100 posts)
  • Allexie
    • 22nd Oct 04, 4:28 PM
    • 22nd Oct 04, 4:28 PM
    Hi Cullumpster

Glad I'm not the only one...I have to shut car doors either with me bag or me bum...depending.... !:

Perhaps we could sew a few sheets of Bounce together to make a snazzy outfit!

P.S. Awww...sweet little mouse...well done you !;D

See you got it from Animation Factory....did you have to join and [glow=red,2,300]PAY[/glow] !(heaven forbid! ....off to wash my mouth out with soap)
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 22nd Oct 04, 4:33 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    • 22nd Oct 04, 4:33 PM
    • 22nd Oct 04, 4:33 PM

Pay....Me?? Never !!!

well i hope not anyway, i just took the url and put it in my profile, knowing my luck i'll receive an invoice in a couple of days Hehe
  • Allexie
    • 22nd Oct 04, 5:06 PM
    • 22nd Oct 04, 5:06 PM
    Pay....Me?? Never !!!
    Tee Hee...nice one....

• trafalgar
    • 22nd Oct 04, 5:51 PM
    • 22nd Oct 04, 5:51 PM
    This gives you tips on how to avoid shocks ,for instance hold the metal part of the car door when getting out,until you are completely out ,stops the build up from the carseat material ;D

http://www.static-sol.com/articles/static_shocks.htm
    • By 16011996 22nd Oct 04, 7:34 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 22nd Oct 04, 7:34 PM
    • 22nd Oct 04, 7:34 PM
    only ever had this problem when i was pregnant, and breastfeeding. hasn't bothered me for a while. but lift buttons were always the worst,drove me mad.
  • needmoney
    • 22nd Oct 04, 8:10 PM
    • 22nd Oct 04, 8:10 PM
    My daughter and i get them off pushchair handles, metal rails microwaves ( when you put your hand in after it stopsa not all the time but quite often. Mothercare supply a little plastic bit to put on the bottom of the pushchair and it trails along the ground, doesn't always work though.
    • MATH
    • By MATH 22nd Oct 04, 8:17 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Another sufferer here. I seem to have periods when I don't shock at all and then I'm sparking off everything. Even the kidz complain I keep Zapping them. Thank goodness I've got no hair or I would look like Don King ;D
  • Allexie
    Mothercare supply a little plastic bit to put on the bottom of the pushchair and it trails along the ground
    Wonder if it works on people too ??? ??? ???
  • Allexie
    This gives you tips on how to avoid shocks ,for instance hold the metal part of the car door when getting out,until you are completely out ,stops the build up from the carseat material ;D

http://www.static-sol.com/articles/static_shocks.htm
    thanks traf...fascinating read...answered a lot of my queries...
  • chardonnay
    i had a terrible time with this at my old work, used to get painful shocks all the time, even though my shoes had rubber soles. someone suggested using tumble dryer sheets like bounce in the tumble dryer. i didn't always use them, but since i've used them everytime i use my tumble dryer, i don't get shocks anymore. might help someone.
    • Tim_L
    • By Tim_L 25th Oct 04, 10:03 AM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    Tim_L
    Rubber shoes will make this worse, as they'll build up your static charge because it can't gradually discharge through your feet.

It's touching something that is earthed that discharges the charge you've built up (thousands of volts in fact). Not dangerous, but uncomfortable and it can destroy electronic equipment.

It's worst in dry atmospheres with nylon based carpets. You can get sprays to improve the conductivity of the carpet (which dissapates the charge via your feet). I had two techniques when this was a problem in the office, firstly to tightly grasp a key and use this to discharge the static onto a filing cabinet, and the other was to lightly touch the small of the back of a colleague with an outstretched finger, which had the effect of making him leap about 20 feet in the air swearing revenge.
  • Allexie
    ......... and the other was to lightly touch the small of the back of a colleague with an outstretched finger, which had the effect of making him leap about 20 feet in the air swearing revenge.

now this me likeeee ;D ;D ;D
    • By 16011996 25th Oct 04, 2:56 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks

I had two techniques when this was a problem in the office, firstly to tightly grasp a key and use this to discharge the static onto a filing cabinet, and the other was to lightly touch the small of the back of a colleague with an outstretched finger, which had the effect of making him leap about 20 feet in the air swearing revenge.
    lol. ;D ;D
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,006Posts Today

6,669Users online

Martin's Twitter