Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becky701
    • By becky701 18th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 6Thanks
    becky701
    Car Finance advice
    • 18th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    Car Finance advice 18th Jan 18 at 6:49 PM
    Hi

I'm looking to get a new car, not brand new, second hand for about 10K. I've looked at bank loans, which are about 180 p/m - I know the best option is to save but is the best alternative a loan like this?

I also wondered how much you can haggle with car salesman, if it's going to 10.9K how much wiggle room do you usually have?

Thank you
Page 3
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Mar 19, 8:10 AM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    phillw
    What percentage of people do you think borrow money for a car? I know very few that have ever bought one outright.
    Originally posted by tonycottee
    I'm not sure where I fit into your statistics. I borrowed money for my first car, I paid for the next four out of savings.

A 10k car is too much of a luxury to borrow for. A mondeo estate heap will cost you much less.
    Last edited by phillw; 14-03-2019 at 8:14 AM.
    • miltonberger
    • By miltonberger 25th Apr 19, 12:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    miltonberger
    PCP Finance and moving abroad
    Can I buy a car in the UK with PCP finance and after a while move abroad (Portugal) and keep paying the finance?
    • Adam Fox
    • By Adam Fox 6th May 19, 1:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Adam Fox
    If you know what you're doing you can buy a car cheaper through BCA which have AA certified mechanical inspections on most cars.

Never go with finance companies dealerships recommend as they sometimes get a kickback for referrals. (I was a salesman at Mercedes I received 250 per referral for both Mercedes financial services and Blackhorse)

Tesco (3% APR) (or other supermarket loans) bank loans are considerably cheaper than most of the dealerships finance companies.

Always buy a car at the end of the month. Chances are the dealership hasn't met its sales targets so will do anything in there power to get the deal through. At the main dealer's if you don't meet sales targets they get less in marketing budgets so will do basically anything to get deals (even sell the car at cost).

If you're buying a car a good place to start is carwow.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 31st May 19, 7:30 AM
    • 34,580 Posts
    • 21,877 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Can I buy a car in the UK with PCP finance and after a while move abroad (Portugal) and keep paying the finance?
    Originally posted by miltonberger
    Maybe its a question you should ask the provider of the finance.
    Would it not be easier to buy a car ?
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 25th Jun 19, 10:10 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    rhysadams
    Used car finance is usually more than new car finance, its always a good idea to ask the base rate at the time. Dealers have a base rate that they work to, but they can lower this to an amount where they don't get any kick backs.

Usually non-luxury used cars have approx. 1,500 across the metal, luxury is more.

Used cars are generally cheaper to finance via a bank loan from a reputable lender. However, don't discount a new car on a PCP!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

481Posts Today

5,605Users online

Martin's Twitter