Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 17th May 19, 7:57 AM
    • 4,318Posts
    • 3,801Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Which WiFi Booster ?
    • 17th May 19, 7:57 AM
    Which WiFi Booster ? 17th May 19 at 7:57 AM
    I'm thinking about getting a WiFi booster. Our router is upstairs, it'll be a hassle to move it for a variety of reasons. The WiFi signal downstairs is quite weak, particularly noticeable when watching BBC iPlayer on the TV in the lounge - it often pauses mid-programme and buffers.

Anyhow, I though a WiFi booster may be the answer. Having had a quick look online, there seem to be dozens available, from about £10 to upwards of £100. So a fairly simple question - do they actually work, and do you have any recommendations for a reasonably cheap one that'll do the trick ? If I go for one that's less than about £20 I'm happy to just buy it and see how it goes - but if any of you good folk have a recommendation that would be great. Thanks.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
Page 1
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 17th May 19, 8:33 AM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 17th May 19, 8:33 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:33 AM
    Wifi boosters - a single device which sits in between router and wifi dead-spot- are very much hit and miss; Does your TV have an ethernet port? I suggest powerplugs -which use the house wiring- to extend ethernet capabilities. Again, can be hit and miss for various reasons.

What to suggest? Try this pair for £25 from Amazon. If they don't work (or are not reliable enough) - send them back!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Powerline-Electrical-PW201A-P200/dp/B076D47V7V

EDIT: I may retract that suggestion. Although very cheap, the reason is that they are quite (IE very) slow. Should be OK for iPlayer via powerline but check Amazon reviews first!

** See Cisco's suggestion for a nice fast kit. **
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 17-05-2019 at 9:54 AM.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 17th May 19, 8:36 AM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 17th May 19, 8:36 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:36 AM
    What router do you have now? If its an old one that only does 2.4Ghz and your devices are all 5Ghz compatible that may be a better solution?

Note that wifi signals only boost what they can see and if you put one in a place of already poor signal, it'll be the equivalent of a chocolate teapot.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 17th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 17th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:14 AM
    My usual recommendation is get a powerline with wifi adaptor

this on sale at £40
    https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/bt-home-hotspot-1000-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10156161-pdt.html
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 19, 9:36 AM
    • 9,668 Posts
    • 32,551 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 17th May 19, 9:36 AM
    • 17th May 19, 9:36 AM
    We've a couple of devolo powerline blocks but I now realise they aren't terribly fast.
    Which in a household of teenage lads may not be that bad a thing, but when we next switch providers & get a new router, we may think about updating...
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 17th May 19, 11:12 AM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 3,801 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 17th May 19, 11:12 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:12 AM
    Thanks to you all for your feedback. I'll have a look at the one suggested by Cisco, I may end up getting one. But first I'll check out the suggestion from Neil Jones - our router does have both 2.4 & 5 Ghz, though I must admit I've never really understood what it does. Will definitely try and work out if the telly will do 5 ghz and give that a try first :-)

Thanks again, all
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th May 19, 11:29 AM
    • 7,319 Posts
    • 7,188 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 17th May 19, 11:29 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:29 AM
    FYI ... 5 GHz is less effective at pushing through walls etc. than 2.4 GHz. Therefore if the 2.4 signal is poor near the TV, the 5 signal is probably worse.*

* Depending on orientation of the WiFi aerials in the router/access point. Have you tried re-positioning/reorienting the router?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 17th May 19, 11:42 AM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 3,801 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 17th May 19, 11:42 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:42 AM
    FYI ... 5 GHz is less effective at pushing through walls etc. than 2.4 GHz. Therefore if the 2.4 signal is poor near the TV, the 5 signal is probably worse.*

* Depending on orientation of the WiFi aerials in the router/access point. Have you tried re-positioning/reorienting the router?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Thanks for the info :-) I've tried moving the router around, but it doesn't seem to help much. Looks like I might be buying one of those boosters then :-)
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 17th May 19, 12:01 PM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 17th May 19, 12:01 PM
    • 17th May 19, 12:01 PM
    I assume you meant powerline. This also good value. £30 with voucher.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-PH5-Powerline-Extender-Streaming/dp/B0746HVPMC
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 20th May 19, 8:06 AM
    • 484 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    If you do go down the powerline+wifi extender route (which can be a good solution), don't allow the unit to "clone" or "copy" your existing WiFi details (e.g. SSI, password etc). Whilst this can seem a good idea - only having one wifi "network" in the house - in reality what happens is that devices connect to one router (or wifi transmitter, so to speak), and then stay connected to it even if there is another network with the same name with a stronger signal available. You have to turn your device's wifi off and back on again to force a reconnect to the stronger signal router.

This is because the cheap home kit we use for this purpose doesn't have the inbuilt management capabilities to hand off between wifi routers. A mesh network does have this capability, and "pro" routers (such as offices and public spaces use) also do.

So name each router's wifi differently, e.g. "UPSTAIRS" and "DOWNSTAIRS", as it makes it more obvious and a reminder that you need to switch between networks, and guarantees which router you are connecting to (or spend more money and invest in e.g. a mesh network, such as https://store.google.com/product/google_wifi )
  • archived user
    Ubiquiti access points. Proper commercial grade stuff that has much better coverage than consumer grade gear. Costs more but solves lots of problems.
    • colejames
    • By colejames 21st May 19, 9:09 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    colejames
    My suggestion is powerline with the WIFI- Adaptor. The great working and services. Top 5 powerline adapters in 2019 are given below,
    1 TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit Powerline.
    2 TP-Link AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline.
    3 TrendNet Powerline 500AV2 Adapter Kit.
    4 TP-LINK AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Adapter.
    5 Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 21st May 19, 9:15 AM
    • 12,788 Posts
    • 5,773 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    But whose top 5 yours fred bloggs joe soap ??
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 21st May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    But whose top 5 yours fred bloggs joe soap ??
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    possibly this https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/
    • Croft12
    • By Croft12 21st May 19, 9:24 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Croft12
    My suggestion is powerline with the WIFI- Adaptor. The great working and services. Top 5 powerline adapters in 2019 are given below,
    1 TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit Powerline.
    2 TP-Link AV2000 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline.
    3 TrendNet Powerline 500AV2 Adapter Kit.
    4 TP-LINK AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Adapter.
    5 Devolo Magic 2 Wi-Fi.
    Originally posted by colejames

Tp are more expensive but the quality is v good. I get 74mb (from a router at 80mb) at approx 40' on their power adaptor.
    • Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 21st May 19, 12:00 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    Tp are more expensive but the quality is v good. I get 74mb (from a router at 80mb) at approx 40' on their power adaptor.
    Originally posted by Croft12
    Another thumbs up for TP-Link.

Iíve had TP-Link powerline adaptors for many years but one unit failed recently so had to purchase a new set. £23.99 inc del, so cheap enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BECPIMC/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

I have 110Mbps Virgin fibre broadband and the new TP link powerline adaptors run my upstairs TV consistently at 70Mbps,...very stable,...and that is through a modern consumer unit on a separate ring main. Very impressive tbh.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 21st May 19, 12:06 PM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Does the remote unit do wifi? Perhaps you mean this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/
    • ANDY597
    • By ANDY597 21st May 19, 12:38 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    ANDY597
    I have the Tenda WIFI Cubes am Im very pleased with them, im not too techy so cant offer a fair comparison to the others mentioned.

• Biggus Dickus
    • By Biggus Dickus 21st May 19, 12:38 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Biggus Dickus
    Does the remote unit do wifi? Perhaps you mean this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    No,...it doesnít have Wi-fi,...theyíre purely point- to- point powerline adaptors. Wi-fi in my house is a bit iffy ;...Iíve tried a number of wi-fi extenders but always with mixed results tbh. The point-to-point powerline adaptors are always very stable,...I canít say the same for wi-fi,... not in my house anyway.

I know the OP was looking at wi-fi boosters in particular but he/she mentioned their downstairs TV suffers from weak signals so a set of powerline adaptors should do the trick,... for a relatively modest price ,...if only for that particular TV of course.
    • Croft12
    • By Croft12 21st May 19, 12:54 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Croft12
    No,...it doesnít have Wi-fi,...theyíre purely point- to- point powerline adaptors. Wi-fi in my house is a bit iffy ;...Iíve tried a number of wi-fi extenders but always with mixed results tbh. The point-to-point powerline adaptors are always very stable,...I canít say the same for wi-fi,... not in my house anyway.

I know the OP was looking at wi-fi boosters in particular but he/she mentioned their downstairs TV suffers from weak signals so a set of powerline adaptors should do the trick,... for a relatively modest price ,...if only for that particular TV of course.
    Originally posted by Biggus Dickus

You can of course use a powerline with wifi to hard wire to the TV but act as a hotspot in the room as well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,584Posts Today

7,765Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• RT @Screeeeamer: @dwlstacey @MartinSLewis @TUIUK Dear mr Stacy, I need to let you know of a slight amendment to the Porsche 911 you ordered?

• Follow Martin