Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Comments

• puffintail wrote: »
    I'm not such a fan of their fruit and veg generally, the quality/freshness has been quite hit and miss.

I've heard other people say that, but I've never had an issue. Ours are better quality than the local Tesco. Suspect it depends very much on the branch.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dad got me a pack of 4 'mega chew bones' in Aldi yesterday for £1.29
    Nom-nom-nom

If that’s him in your avatar he looks a lovely pooch.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    GreenQueen wrote: »
    I've heard other people say that, but I've never had an issue. Ours are better quality than the local Tesco. Suspect it depends very much on the branch.

Same here, I think it must be down to the branch, but I do pick & choose. I have seen some just grab the first one of whatever without even a cursory glance at it
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    puffintail wrote: »
    I'm not such a fan of their fruit and veg generally, the quality/freshness has been quite hit and miss.

That's a shame. That used to be a frequent comment on Aldi's fresh foods but since they started putting dates on them I haven't had a problem. To be honest the only problems I've ever had had been with onions for a short while and carrots packed too wet.

It might be worth trying again and telling the store manager if you have an issue.:)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    I buy a couple of pots of the plain cottage cheese from Aldi most weeks. I use it on jacket potatoes or on chilli in place of sour cream. It tastes fine to me. :)

I prefer to add my own spring onions or something rather than buy the flavoured ones although I often have to rifle through and tidy up the shelf to find them. :)
    I've just tried the pineapple, and it's ok but not a patch on Longley Farm. But then again, it's less than 40% of the cost per gram.

I vote with my pocket, and that means not buying either :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    203846930 Posts: 4,708
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    PLRFD wrote: »
    If that’s him in your avatar he looks a lovely pooch.
    That's me :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Is there a problem with Aldi's Snackrite Nacho Cheese dip? On the ticket it listed four varients - mild salsa, hot salsa, sour cream and chive and nacho cheese. I went through the 7 cases that were on the shelf and could not find one - no gaps in the lower cases.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,493
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Is there a problem with Aldi's Snackrite Nacho Cheese dip? On the ticket it listed four varients - mild salsa, hot salsa, sour cream and chive and nacho cheese. I went through the 7 cases that were on the shelf and could not find one - no gaps in the lower cases.

Don't know about the dips specifically but Aldi often have mixed cases without all the stated varieties. I've had it with candles, lime juice, sauces and cottage cheese to name a few.

I was only thinking today that it would be good if Aldi put up some notices to explain when things go missing. They haven't had soy sauce for weeks. It's probably a supplier problem but it would be good to know.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Today I bought this from Aldi as bought one from their Special Buys 2 years ago and I can do the perfect poached eggs in them and sometimes I like two poached eggs and will find it easier to do both together.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bought what ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts