Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toomsie
    • By toomsie 23rd Feb 19, 4:11 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 25Thanks
    toomsie
    Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations
    • 23rd Feb 19, 4:11 PM
    Strange Things Motorists Do In Cheap Gas Stations 23rd Feb 19 at 4:11 PM
    Down Crystal Palace in Sainsburys Gas Station at the weekend. I have noticed something interesting. This was brought to my attention by a neighbour who also does this. Actually, I was very surprised that your average poor person does this, let alone someone who owns luxury or sports cars like Mercs, BMWs and Landrover SUVs.

Fill up their tank half full of gas. They either do this because it feels like they are not spending much or they actually don't have money at that time.

I am working class with a Ford Focus MK2 station wagon 1.6. I only do this when I am using an expensive gas station.
    Last edited by toomsie; 23-02-2019 at 4:15 PM.
Page 2
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 26th Feb 19, 7:23 AM
    • 66,529 Posts
    • 390,877 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I only fill up when close to empty and if I know I am about to embark on a long journey that will use it.

There's nothing more boring than standing there waiting for it to fill up. If I only need £10 or £20 today to get me where I want to be for the next day, week, month, whatever, why fill it up?

It also reduces the mpg to carry a full tank around. Also, I'd be VERY annoyed if I spent £50-70 to fill it up and it broke down later that day.

I put some in, then, begrudgingly, go in and put more in when I fear I'm about to run out.

Some others like to keep it full, or need to due to their weekly mileage. Others need to fill it up, even if it's just a few quid, as they're "returning a car", whether that's a courtesy car, friend/family car, or hire car.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 26th Feb 19, 7:37 AM
    • 6,290 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    roddydogs
    All those replies to an obvious WUM.? Including me.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 26th Feb 19, 7:43 AM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    All those replies to an obvious WUM.? Including me.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    OK then I'll bite - What's a WUM?
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 26th Feb 19, 7:49 AM
    • 6,290 Posts
    • 2,686 Thanks
    roddydogs
    OK then I'll bite - What's a WUM?
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    Wind up merchant
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 26th Feb 19, 9:07 AM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 14,083 Thanks
    NBLondon
    The first car I bought in London was a Landrover from AutoTrader. I typed station wagon into the search and a whole lot of cars turned up.
    Originally posted by toomsie
    That's because Station Wagon is a specific model name used by Land Rover for many years to mean one that has seats in the back. The generic term for what you have is an "estate car" in English, (a "Kombi" in German and a "break" in French). Although "shooting brake" is coming back into fashion for some.
    I always thought Autotrader was American based? At least by the name - Autotrader.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Founded in that all-American city Manchester. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Trader_Group
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • toomsie
    • By toomsie 3rd Mar 19, 4:18 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    toomsie
    I always thought Autotrader was American based? At least by the name - Autotrader.

So it would naturally have search protocols that covered American phrases.

Nice to see you using the British word "cars" though
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Station wagon was part of the name of the car. I would have had more results by using estate. I would not end up with a landrover with a clunky stick shift.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 6th Mar 19, 5:48 AM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 5,196 Thanks
    Zanderman
    I did a little research on this. The time lost filling up gas isn't worth any financial gain( if I remember was around 30p). Even on minimum wage.
    Originally posted by toomsie
    This is as nonsensical as your original post.

Your original post suggest you somehow 'know' people only fill up with half a tank. How do you know? Do you go round checking everyone? All day?

You admit, on reflection, that maybe their tanks weren't empty and they're just topping up. But, again, how would you ever know this?

You seem to think filling up half-tank (from empty) is unusual. Unclear why you think this. Indeed I think the advice on this very website is NOT to fill up because a full tank reduces car efficiency. Clue - it's unnecessary extra weight which will increase the cost of your onward travel. Filling up is convenient but it's not strategic money-saving.

And the comment I quote above says you've done 'research' and the time 'lost' isn't worth it? What has time got to do with it? People don't lose salary or wages whilst they fill up with fuel. It's in their own time. Which is, er, unpaid.

Roddydogs is spot on.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 6th Mar 19, 5:53 AM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 5,196 Thanks
    Zanderman
    And, just to add to my comment above, here's the quote (official MSE advice):

Don't fill it up

Fuel efficiency improvement: Up to 1%

Fuel is heavy, so by filling the car up you're adding quite a weight. The less fuel your car has in it, the more efficiently it drives. If you fill up slightly more often and put less in (to 1/2 or 3/4 full), it'll make the car run more efficiently.
    From here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheaper-fuel/#filling

So, not a strange thing at all, a money-saving thing, and this is a money-saving forum.
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 6th Mar 19, 6:01 AM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    trigger fish
    Fuel is heavy and a drag.

Same as anything on the roof.

Costs more.
    • toomsie
    • By toomsie 28th Mar 19, 6:40 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    toomsie
    You admit, on reflection, that maybe their tanks weren't empty and they're just topping up. But, again, how would you ever know this?
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    How would you find this information out? Is it human nature to fill a tank of petrol when the tank is half full. Perhaps they are filling up when they passing a cheap petrol station.

Yesterday I had a chat with a lady in the petrol station. I said,'why do customers fill up their tank with only a small amount of petrol'. The lady replied,' They cannot afford it.'. She continued about customers only filling up with £5 and it really annoys her. I said,' Some of the customers have really nice cars. How do you explain that?. She said,' They don't own the cars(meaning the loan company does) they cannot afford to run them'.

I came to the same conclusion because of two of my friends, who do not have nice cars do this. They buy small amounts.
    • toomsie
    • By toomsie 28th Mar 19, 6:45 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    toomsie
    That's because Station Wagon is a specific model name used by Land Rover for many years to mean one that has seats in the back.
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    I wish they didn't. That car was a lemon.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 28th Mar 19, 6:48 AM
    • 19,393 Posts
    • 49,212 Thanks
    elsien
    I top it up when it gets down to half at the cheap petrol station on my way to work. I do a lot of mileage in a busy job and don't want to be having to fill up on the days I'm running late and rushing round to get places.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • toomsie
    • By toomsie 28th Mar 19, 7:07 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    toomsie
    And the comment I quote above says you've done 'research' and the time 'lost' isn't worth it? What has time got to do with it? People don't lose salary or wages whilst they fill up with fuel. It's in their own time. Which is, er, unpaid.

Roddydogs is spot on.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    Many salary people consider their time as unpaid. But even for a salary person, knowing the cost of one's labour is important.

Many salary people have to make choices of paying for service vs doing it oneself.

Would it be worthwhile a well-paid solicitor doing his own garden for £15? He may get a salaryman but taking on extra work eats into his time and drains his energy.

Even a low paid person can add up those minutes and use the time to sell something on eBay for some extra money and sales education. or use the extra time to repair goods oppose to buying new ones. Or cook a nice meal rather than order takaway.
    Last edited by toomsie; 28-03-2019 at 7:10 AM.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 28th Mar 19, 11:39 AM
    • 4,038 Posts
    • 17,949 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Just seen this post & as someone who regularly uses the petrol station mentioned, has the OP not spotted the fact that it is not a particularly affluent area?

When I go there, I fill up as it is handier than going more frequently and spending less per visit, but this does not mean that all are in a position to do this.
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • toomsie
    • By toomsie 29th Mar 19, 8:53 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    toomsie
    Just seen this post & as someone who regularly uses the petrol station mentioned, has the OP not spotted the fact that it is not a particularly affluent area?

When I go there, I fill up as it is handier than going more frequently and spending less per visit, but this does not mean that all are in a position to do this.
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    It's a poor area - but still, a place where the poor still drive nice cars. You won't see caps pullover folk who look like they cannot afford a nice car. Not here in South London.
    • toomsie
    • By toomsie 18th Apr 19, 9:23 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    toomsie
    I've been to that petrol station again today. One guy who had a convertible BMW put £16 of petrol in his car. First points go to the driver who has put more the £50 pounds of petrol in his car.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 27th Apr 19, 4:41 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 3,709 Thanks
    Robisere
    I live in a rural Lincolnshire village. Lincolnshire is a county with many small villages spread mostly wide apart. Even going to a main supermarket is a 40+ mile round trip. So I have adjusted my motoring in order to be able to fill up at a station on the way, when there is less than 100 miles left on the dash counter.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 24th May 19, 9:21 PM
    • 29,291 Posts
    • 12,031 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Fuel is heavy and a drag.

Same as anything on the roof.

Costs more.
    Originally posted by trigger fish
    You put fuel on the roof? How can something inside the car cause drag?

Yes the extra weight will cost you fuel, but driving an extra 50 feet into a petrol station and another 50 feet back onto the road will eat into any weight saving. If you need to queue then it probably costs more to short fill.

And when you need to rush out at 3am for a 200 mile journey the last thing i want to be worrying about is getting fuel. A roads to the north east coast. which stations are open at 3am?
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 24-05-2019 at 9:23 PM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 24th May 19, 9:46 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I do wonder when someone puts £10 in a big SUV or something, I do think they either have no spare cash or have come out without their wallet. (Everyone keeps an emergency £10 in the car obviously!!)
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    Or they’re not able to go via a Tesco garage until the next day and just want to get another day till they can fill up in Tesco and get their points - I do this, in a 4x4
    • boomer69
    • By boomer69 30th May 19, 5:05 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    boomer69
    Petrolprices.com will allow anyone to find the cheapest fuel, around Crystal Palace there appear to be an abundance of stations selling between 130.9p and 132.9p per litre, 2p is hardly a saving worth searching out or travelling an extra couple of miles for.
    Because I live in an area with fewer petrol stations, travelling for the cheapest fuel is counter productive.
    Why do people put a tenner in ? God knows, maybe they're financially stupid.
    Yes, I'll go with stupid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,949Posts Today

7,709Users online

Martin's Twitter