Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 15th Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    • 715Posts
    • 3,779Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Single, six kids and going to be debt free!
    • 15th Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    Single, six kids and going to be debt free! 15th Dec 17 at 8:12 PM
    Okay, so I finally decided to face up to my debts and now my income is pretty much stable, I can now budget and work out how much to pay. My soa is below and I believe I have budgeted for everything. I know I have a big surplus but this is only recent and from the new year I want to start paying everything off.

I know that if I threw everything at the debts that I could be debt free a lot sooner but I can't expect the kids to live like that really.

So I calculated that if I pay £500 off my debts each month, then I will be debt free in 44 months, so three years and 8 months. However, as my old debts are not currently being paid, I plan on offering them minimal payments at the moment and then save up to offer them full and final settlements so hopefully I can be debt free sooner.

Next is to find some challenges to join!

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 6
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................ 900
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 3527.64
    Other income............................ 975
    Total monthly income.................... 5402.64

Monthly Expense Details
    Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 1200
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 93
    Electricity............................. 120
    Gas..................................... 10
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 63.54
    Telephone (land line)................... 10
    Mobile phone............................ 51.81
    TV Licence.............................. 12.37
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 39.98
    Internet Services....................... 10
    Groceries etc. ......................... 433.33
    Clothing................................ 100
    Petrol/diesel........................... 260
    Road tax................................ 25.83
    Car Insurance........................... 120
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 100
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 10
    Childcare/nursery....................... 1000
    Other child related expenses............ 140
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 7.27
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 150
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 303.33
    Holiday................................. 50
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 4310.46

Assets
    Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 500
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 500

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Overdraft......................1000......30....... .0
    Catalogue......................247.......60....... .0
    Catalogue......................593.......35....... .0
    Old debts......................20000.....0.........0
    Tax credits....................410.......0.........0
    Total unsecured debts..........22250.....125.......-

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total monthly income.................... 5,402.64
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 4,310.46
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,092.18
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 125
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 967.18

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 500
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -22,250
    Net Assets.............................. -21,750
Page 41
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Sep 18, 6:46 AM
    • 20,541 Posts
    • 34,306 Thanks
    Spendless
    Just caught up and read your signature. Wow
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 19th Sep 18, 6:48 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Just caught up and read your signature. Wow
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Thanks Spendless.

Well I have been plodding on slowly. I'm still doing Matched Betting and that is nicely upping my income each month which is good especially as my housing benefit has decreased due to my wages being higher since April. I have phoned them today and they suggested to send them a screenshot of my payslip each month and they will recalculate my housing benefit. Its hard because the busiest time of the year is April to August so myself and my colleague work extra hours, but then it tails off a bit and so we can work less hours. I can survive though on the lower amount of housing benefit so if it does increase its a bonus.

Then the other bombshell was that my ex husband just out of the blue decided to propose to reduce my maintenance by £189 a month. When we split we drew up a clean break financial agreement which said he would pay maintenance as per the calculator. Well this proposal means he would be paying a lot less and he hasn't given a reason why he wants to pay less. So I phoned CMS and have opened a direct pay case. I don't see why he should pay less especially as I don't ask him for any extra money for the kids. I pay for everything for them, all their clothes, shoes, school uniform, school trips, any school expenses, clubs, everything! At least this way, they calculate what he should pay and if he doesn't pay the right amount, then they will chase him.

Kids cost a lot of money. In the last week, for my eldest, I have had to pay out £54 for two maths books and a calculator and £37.55 to have her English Language paper remarked. I am also going to pay another £37.55 to have her Spanish writing paper remarked as it turns out she was only 4 marks off getting the top grade in her Spanish GCSE. So its a lot of money that I have paid out on extras that I wouldn't dream of asking my ex husband to contribute to. This all has to come out of my extras budget which is being stretched a lot at the moment!

So update on the extra income totals so far this month.

Extra income £312.25/£380 82.17%

Its going well and I have an extra £16.65 due in matched betting profits to come in tomorrow. So that leaves me just over £50 to find. I am hoping I will find this in the next week and then any extra on top of this will go towards helping to recoup some of the costs that I have had to pay out recently!
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83
    SEP 2018 £0 100% paid
    Emergency fund £257.38/£600
    Total Savings £1672.07
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Sep 18, 7:23 PM
    • 64,602 Posts
    • 288,774 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blooming ex's
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 24th Sep 18, 7:49 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    So this is becoming a weekly update diary. I am still plodding away on making extra income and my ex husband has received a letter from CMS. He actually text me to ask if it was a scam! I said no it wasn't and I haven't had a reply since. He gets paid tomorrow so I'll see if he pays me the maintenance or whether he is going to withhold it now I have got CMS involved.

I think I only get to update once a week due to the kids being back at school and the rugby season has now started! Saturday was spent cleaning and tidying the downstairs of the house. Then off to a local university for my eldest's NCS graduation. Then Sunday was spent watching the eldest two play in a rugby tournament. Very busy weekend and not much time to get much else done.

And in other news, my step mother (who I don't talk to, long story, but for some reason she seems to have a bit of a screw loose to me) has just text me tonight to say she is 'composing a letter to social services about my accusation of her neglecting my children back in January'. I am totally confused by this and really don't understand what she is on about. I never accused her of being neglectful and certainly did not report her to social services. So why on earth she thinks she needs to compose a letter to them after all this time. This just reaffirms to me that there is something not quite right about her and I should stay away. The only thing her writing a letter to social services could do is make my life more difficult. They will probably end up visiting me and investigating me as I am on the register due to my crazy ex neighbour reporting me falsely so I am already on the system. But when they visited before they found no concerns but said I would stay in the system now. This is the last thing I need right now, my step mother causing problems for me. Why can't she just leave me alone!!

Anyway rant over, update on the monthly income totals as follows:

Extra income £365.21/£380 88.49%

I am hoping that this week should see me bring in the last £15 odd. Although last week I didn't save any money from the weekly budget as for some reason I seemed to have loads to pay for and used loads of petrol driving around at the weekend!
    SEP 2018 £0 100% paid
    Total Savings £1672.07
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 24th Sep 18, 8:05 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 5,111 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Well that sounds like a whole load of hassle you can well do without! Is she with your father... can't he have a word with her? ((hugs))
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 24th Sep 18, 8:21 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I know. I have no idea what she thinks she is going to achieve. Yes she is married to my dad but as far as my dad says they are married only because she owes him money and he thinks he will get it back if he stays with her. But then he could be not telling me the whole truth. I have messaged him to ask him to ask her to leave me alone but I will ring him as well tomorrow to see if he has any further insight as to what she is up to.
    SEP 2018 £0 100% paid
    Total Savings £1672.07
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 25th Sep 18, 5:44 AM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 21,305 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Just keep the text!! It is evidence of tit for tat.

There are enough people who see your kids - nursery, school, their dads, sports coaches etc to be able to rubbish her claims. You don't need it!!, with any luck the only contact they will make with you is the letter telling you they have investigated and found the claim to be malicious.

She might just be using you to get back at your dad, if the relationship is not all that.
    MFW START1/5/16 £118,340 Oct17£109,49 12/17 £108,801/18 £108,39 3/18 £108,50 4/18£108,10 5/18£106,99 6/18£105,99.7/18£105,308/18£103,99 9/18£102,99 10/18£101,999 11/18£101,300 12/18£100,700,1/19 £99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,9991/4 £98,500 1/5 £97,999 1/6 £97,500 1/7 £96,999.99
    MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 25th Sep 18, 1:11 PM
    • 2,948 Posts
    • 18,730 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Just catching up with your goings-on after an absence!

I'm sorry to hear about your mad stepmother! Hopefully you'll have some more answers after you speak to your dad today.

And well done for taking the hard line with your ex and getting the CMS involved. It's atrocious that he seems to think he can just decrease his payments without even discussing the matter with you first - especially after all the extras you pay for the children.

But on the positive side - all is going great with the children, well done you for getting rid of the CC debt, the new car sounds lovely and I'm glad to read that you have some personal space with your new "boudoir!" You thoroughly deserve it!

And I hope you come to a decision soon on where your career path will take you.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 22
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • 24ta
    • By 24ta 29th Sep 18, 9:02 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    24ta
    Just read your diary!

Well done what an amazing achievement to clear that debt so quickly.

A great role model for your children

Subscribed
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 3rd Oct 18, 6:05 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Just keep the text!! It is evidence of tit for tat.

There are enough people who see your kids - nursery, school, their dads, sports coaches etc to be able to rubbish her claims. You don't need it!!, with any luck the only contact they will make with you is the letter telling you they have investigated and found the claim to be malicious.

She might just be using you to get back at your dad, if the relationship is not all that.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Oh I will be keeping the messages as evidence. I spoke to my dad and he said just to ignore. He has told her not to mention me and to leave me alone, but it seems she really doesn't listen to him!

Just catching up with your goings-on after an absence!

I'm sorry to hear about your mad stepmother! Hopefully you'll have some more answers after you speak to your dad today.

And well done for taking the hard line with your ex and getting the CMS involved. It's atrocious that he seems to think he can just decrease his payments without even discussing the matter with you first - especially after all the extras you pay for the children.

But on the positive side - all is going great with the children, well done you for getting rid of the CC debt, the new car sounds lovely and I'm glad to read that you have some personal space with your new "boudoir!" You thoroughly deserve it!

And I hope you come to a decision soon on where your career path will take you.

SSG x
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Thank you very much. The new car is lovely but I do need to keep paying to get rid of the loan asap! My room is lovely if it still hasn't been decorated yet. I never seem to find the time these days. There is always something else to do especially now that rugby season has started again.

Just read your diary!

Well done what an amazing achievement to clear that debt so quickly.

A great role model for your children

Subscribed
    Originally posted by 24ta
    Thank you and thank you for subscribing.

So I haven't updated for a while but I did manage to make my target for extra income in September so I am very happy with that. I have set my target for extra income for October as well and I have made a good start on that from matched betting and from extra in my wages than I had estimated.

I am still having trouble with my ex husband though! He has decided that because of my impossible behaviour he cannot see the kids for the foreseeable future. He said I am abusive towards him at drop off and pick up and that I tried to financially screw him over. So he emailed my eldest and sent her this long email which she wasn't very impressed about and told him so. The thing is that I only ever had a go at him about seeing the kids more as he really doesn't seem to want to change his life about just to suit the kids. He very rarely sees them, doesn't help in taking them to any of their clubs and then says he has to drop off early on a Sunday so he can get home and have tea at a reasonable time. Everything else seems to take priority over his seeing his kids. So now he is not going to see them at all. I thought about it and thought actually he could ask my eldest to take the kids on the train to the local town and he could meet them there for the day without having to see me at all. But that would disrupt his life too much.

Sorry for the long moan but he really does my head in. Oh and the CMS payments have been sorted. For some reason he decided he wanted to pay weekly even though he gets paid monthly and his payments have gone up by almost £20 a week on what he was paying me previously. His first payment is this Friday so hopefully it will go through.

So anyway onto more pleasant things, my budgets have been updated and I should have about £600 spare between now and Christmas after paying for our holiday so I am going to put half of that towards the car loan and the other half will be put into emergency savings just in case.

Anyway target for October extra income and progress so far is as follows:

Extra income £88.24/£394.45 22.37%
    SEP 2018 £0 100% paid
    Total Savings £1672.07
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 64,602 Posts
    • 288,774 Thanks
    beanielou
    His loss. His loss.
    Hope he says up on Friday.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 4th Oct 18, 5:57 AM
    • 20,541 Posts
    • 34,306 Thanks
    Spendless
    Sorry to hear situation re ex. I remember a friend complaining about same and her solicitor telling her there was no legislation to insist that a parent saw their child/ren more or at all. It's not fair on the resident parent who doesn't get the 'opt out of parenting' button.

In an earlier post you mentioned paying for your older DD's GCSE to be re-marked. If you haven't already done this, I'm going to ask if you need to? Sure it's nice to know you got the top grade, but with a couple of exceptions, studying medicine being one of them, GCSE grades become largely unimportant in the scale of things. They're needed to get onto the next step in most areas, but when it comes to applying to Uni, it's the A levels or equiv that matter. My son did quite well with GCSEs (absolutely fabulous if you take into account he didn't revise!). He then did poorly at his FE college (having a disorganised child at a disorganised college wasn't a good combo, something I told him at the beginning) and as a consequence he's now on a foundation year, so yes he's at Uni on his chosen course still but it will take him a year longer. This is what I mean about GCSE results not always mattering. If you haven't forked out already and it's 'just' to have a better grade then save yourself the cash and use for something else.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 4th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Hi Spendless,

Yes it is annoying but you are right, there is nothing I can do about making a parent see their children. If that is what he wants, then so be it. The kids will hopefully realise that it was me that did everything for them.

Unfortunately, I have already paid out for two paper remarks. One was for my daughter's English Language paper as she felt although she passed, she would have quite liked the next grade up. Her mark didn't change though. Then I got one of Spanish papers remarked. Her mark went up by 3 points but she needed 4 to get the next grade up. If the grades had changed, then the fees would have been refunded but alas not this time. I do get what you are saying about not bothering but it was something she really wanted and I was happy to try for her. I almost covered it last month and will just make the rest up this month.
    SEP 2018 £0 100% paid
    Total Savings £1672.07
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 5th Oct 18, 10:14 AM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    I've read your entire diary in 2 days and just wanted to say you're doing so well!! I have 6 kids also and am a single parent but I feel like a total failure compared to you.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34

Debts Feb 2018 £6829.63

EF #70 £0/£1000
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 5th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 9,045 Posts
    • 69,589 Thanks
    apple muncher
    No one who has 6 kids and is raising them on their own is ever a failure x
    NST July jogger #5; NSD 10/18; Ex 19/31; remove bagfuls (31)

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 5th Oct 18, 12:11 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I've read your entire diary in 2 days and just wanted to say you're doing so well!! I have 6 kids also and am a single parent but I feel like a total failure compared to you.
    Originally posted by Toomuchdebt
    Firstly thank you for reading my entire diary!! And no don't feel like a failure. I just get very focused and nothing can stop me once I set my mind on something.

No one who has 6 kids and is raising them on their own is ever a failure x
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Exactly anyone who is bringing up kids whether they are on their own or not or have 1 child or 10 children is not a failure! We all have our strengths and we all have our weaknesses.

I do get very stressed sometimes and sometimes I feel like everything is getting on top of me and that I can't cope but I think everyone feels that way sometimes and it is normal to feel that way!
    SEP 2018 £0 100% paid
    Total Savings £1672.07
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 6th Oct 18, 9:09 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,779 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    So firstly update on the extra income so far this month.

Extra income £108.24/£394.45 27.44%

The extra has come from saving £20 off my weekly petrol bill. The only good thing to come of the ex husband not seeing the kids and having no rugby matches to go to this weekend!

In addition, I have around £70 in profit in matched betting in process of being withdrawn so that will up the extra income a bit.

Now that the money side is out of the way, tonight I am feeling really lonely. I only really have one close friend where I live and I have just noticed a post on facebook where she is going out with some others who I thought were my friends as we have been out before, but since the kids moved schools, they seem to have just deleted me out of their lives. It's like because my kids don't go to the same school anymore, I am not relevant.

I don't want to go out every weekend but it would be nice to go out once in a while. At the moment I feel old and frumpy as I have definitely put some weight on over the summer. Weight that I had lost in the few months leading up to the summer. And I probably would be so self conscious if I did go out that I probably wouldn't enjoy myself anyway.

Not sure why I posted but it feels good to get it out of my system and I don't expect anyone to reply. Just wanted to have a bit of a moan and a bit of self pity!

Right off to bed for me and then hopefully taking the kids out to the local woods tomorrow for a walk to get some exercise!
    SEP 2018 £0 100% paid
    Total Savings £1672.07
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Oct 18, 9:22 PM
    • 64,602 Posts
    • 288,774 Thanks
    beanielou
    Having a moan is ok.
    I too feel lonely sometimes.

***Keep plodding***
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 6th Oct 18, 9:38 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    Just wanted to say well done. Its been a month or two since I last looked on your dairy and I am purposely posting this before I read the pages I missed. The money you have paid off is unreal. You are truly showing that even though things can get people in a pickle there is a way out. Its a wow/I'm so envious response. Ha ha. . I will now read the missing pages I haven't seen. I hope all has been as well as can be although I see the ex is beings pain.. boo
    35,213 - Jan 2018, 28854 remaining.
    Mortgage 77230- 73082 remaining.
    Make 2019- 1267/2019 EF =67
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Oct 18, 4:38 AM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 18,704 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    I'm sorry you're feeling a bit blue about being lonely, and your ex being a disaster area. You are doing so amazingly. I cannot get my head round double the number of people to manage (I have three DC) and am filled with admiration that you manage it at all, never mind with all the extra baggage.

I know what you mean about being out of sight, out of mind, with your friends. Maybe mention to your one close friend that you'd love to go out more and see if something grows from it. And if not, perhaps you can find a way to meet more people and expand the social pool a bit (easier said than done, I know. Maybe a group or something)
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: £38,608 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£173,282 mortgage = £231,890
    debt on 1st Sept 2018: £12,221.27 unsecured debt/£19,940 parental loan/£191,003.72 mortgage = £223,165
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

393Posts Today

4,751Users online

Martin's Twitter