Harringtons Advisory???

Options

Comments

• Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Unlike the financial ombudsman, the Legal Ombudsman does not currently do fair or reasonable. Although that is something that may be coming apparently.

Hi Dunstonh,

It seems like your recent posts (22 and 23 October) are related to your post of 21 September, which we responded to on 22 September.

Your original post concerned whether we look at the fairness of the level of fees. We responded to this explaining that the government are going to consult on the fees claims management companies charge and that we look forward to contributing to that consultation.

We decide complaints on the basis of what is fair and reasonable in all the circumstances of the case. When dealing with complaints about fees, we will look at whether the fee information was sufficiently clear for the customer to make an informed decision on whether to use the company’s services. There can however be other factors to consider, such as whether the company provided the service they said they would provide for the agreed fee.

We have to decide each complaint on its own merits, but please be under no doubt; we decide complaints on the basis of what is fair and reasonable in all the circumstances.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Rupert_the_barely_solvent
    Rupert_the_barely_solvent Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 February 2016 at 1:31PM
    Options
    Have just been checking Harringtons, their company filings and directorships as they contacted me last night. Will not be using their services. Just writing to confirm that Mr Akbar is British according to Companies House. Not a Brit I'd trust though.

Errandum - Ibrar - not Asif Akbar
  • stephenhj
    stephenhj Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2016 at 8:51PM
    Options
    Just for information. We got a phone call (not answered but no recording left) from (apparently) a local number on the same exchange area as ourselves. Which means in SOUTH ENGLAND.

When I unwisely rang back to ask what this was about, the woman answering said it was about PPI (how did you guess?) and they were Harringtons in GREATER MANCHESTER.

So how come that our BT 1471 facility had listed their call as coming from our local area? "Just our computer does.... blah blah blah..." replied Ms Shark. Be warned: what appears to be a local number calling you, possibly a half-known neighbour, may in fact be a total fake. Perhaps everybody knows that already? I confess I didn't, and perhaps I'm not alone
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Harringtons Advisory are now under investigation by MOJ.
    https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/details.aspx/29496
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Harringtons Advisory are now under investigation by MOJ.
    https://www.claimsregulation.gov.uk/details.aspx/29496
    CMCs now divide into those that are operating normally. those under investigation and those that a kaput.

I suspect the first group is the smallest.
  • Mannymoo5
    Options
    I have - inadvertently signed up with Harrington's!
    After a little digging though the companies house search - the company just reeks of scam!
    Can the Minister for Justice shut them down???
    I hope they do before Harrington's try to send me a large bill I cannot pay!
    I have read that they try to get the fees from you before you receive anything back from the banks - I was told that any fees they charged would be deducted from the claim!!
    Very worried as I have also heard they charge £500 per hour cancellation charge - at an average of 4 hours!

Someone please tell me they will be shut down!!!:(:(:(:(
  • Mannymoo5
    Options
    I also did some digging of my own... they told me they had been working with the banks for years sorting out PPI - yet I find that they have only been trading since 2012. Their companies house BETA site gives a very interesting read! I have also been coaxed into the pension review "Sister Company" ordeal! the whole thing has been a nightmare :( unfortunately I think the Minister for Justice is only looking into the persistent cold calling aspect of the business - rather than the appalling scam they are running!
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Michwalk I suggest you now refer your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman. If further calls are received , ask for the caller's name and inform them that this is the case and that you will be adding this call to the list of complaints.
  • michwalk
    Options
    Yes Thank you, I have already forwarded my complaints to the Legal Ombudsman and Claims Management Regulator. I have also sent another complaint to Harringtons Advisory ,although I doubt they will answer again. I shall also send a query to the fca to see if they are allowed to give pension advice. Just so fed up with this company now, want an end to it. Hope that all their companies are looked into and not just the cold calls. They shouldn't be allowed to run business like this.
  • AdamMilford
    Options
    Check out the company website - harringtonsadvisory.co.uk. The social media links don't work, and the phone numbers the sales person gave me don't match the site. Slightly dodgy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure