Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 71
  • rachbc
    5 at aldi on bread, cat food and veg- thought that was it for the month til dd decided she wanted to make gingerbread with g'ma tomorrow - 'popped' to asda for eggs and plain flour and came out 11 lighter - however got lots of whoopsied veg and bread and srocked up on golden syrup that was on special offer - 97p each or 2 for 1- I got 4!

Shelves were stripped bare of SP flour - think someone from here is stockpiling lol
    • sorting myself out
    • By sorting myself out 22nd Feb 11, 9:11 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    sorting myself out
    NSD for me today! hopefully will have a couple more this week! Took my Twinks hobnobs to work with me today and they went down a storm!! all asked for the recipe! 8 days to pay day and a weekend of working will make my first month a success!!
    Debt free since July 2013 - Saving for a rainy day ☔️☔️☀️☀️
  • TheBees
    Well we are already over budget by at least 10 But not too worried because I know a lot more money would have been spent on food if we were'nt doing this challenge.

After sorting out our utility room (where we store/hide our bulk buys), we decided we needed some shelves as toilet rolls, tins, cans, cartons of juice, boxes of cat food and crisps were balanced on top of the tumble drier and were a real mess. So we took a trip to IKea and managed to get some nice cheap shelves which now look very smart and we can clearly see what we've got.

Tea tonight was a stir fry, tomorrows tea is chicken drumsticks/thighs cooked in coat 'n' cook, with baked potatoes and salad.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 22nd Feb 11, 9:48 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    mummyjane
    Well, I am embarassed to say that I have now gone over my budget Fingers crossed next month will be better. Will pop off now to update my signature. I hope everyone else is having more luck with their budgets.
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan 462.44/400
    Feb 210.10/450, 2/10 NSDs
  • youngmummy
    hi all is there a march groccery challenge up yet. hope everyone is doing well. hugs too those that need them xxx
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim 10,000
    make 10 a day in 2015 261/4000
    emergency fund aim 100/1000
    1 a day for xmas 2015 0/365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC 0/120
  • Candy Belle

Morning

Very very quickley report on my ikkle spend yesterday as me running late for work...ooops!

1.92 in A**a on Cat Treats (spoilt puddytats!)

Gotta run - have a good day everyone x

Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May 177.04/235.00 Apr 237.79/235.00 Mar 226.16 /235.00
    G/C - Jan 248.52/235.00 - Feb214.72/235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 23rd Feb 11, 8:47 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    Small shop planned today. I need sandwich things for the journey to Scotland. My freezer is all ready for my meat delivery.

I am thoroughly fed up with the cold house. My seedlings have suffered from the cold not to mention my hands are constantly freezing.

I have a mountain of ironing to keep me occupied. Making doner kebabs tonight. We're getting up at the crack of dawn for our trip.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 23rd Feb 11, 8:57 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    hi...nicer day today weather wise..lifts the spirit a bit i find....we had lunch out at relations today which was nice....dh and ds gone to the theater so home alone and im doing a bit of meal planning

im planning a few mince dishes next week...i need to get some lasagne sheets and i fancy canneloni so need to look for the tubes....mince is very versatile and cheap

cake tin still empty...needs sorting might think about that tomorrow...roll on friday when i get some money as only have 1 left

tata tessa
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Hi Tessa,

I don't know whether canneloni tubes are expensive or not but you can use pancakes to make canneloni. Just make the pancakes (not too thick), put the mince mix in, roll up put in dish, cover with cheese or white sauce, sprinkle with grated hard cheese (cheddar, parmesan, etc) pop in the oven to bake until golden on top. You could always add some crunchy bits to the cheese if you like that and I'm sure it would work with Mothership's (I think) idea of greasing the baking dish first and then adding ??? was it cheese? breadcrumbs? Please would you clarify Mothership?

Not spent anything since last update

DH did try it on though today - we both had an appointmet for injections this morning and we had fasted for 12 hours previously. We had grandson with us and after we had both been jabbed DH said lets go to Te$co and get some toast. Te$co is about 1.5 miles one way from doctors and home is roughly 1.5 miles the other direction. WHY TE$CO then?
    So actually saved quite a bit because once there I know for certain the DGS would have wanted a breakfast at 4 so would DH and no doubt I would have had a drink at the very least. Feel rather chuffed with myself although have been renamed Granny Meanie. Its ok I can live with that cause the extra 10 approx in my purse helps.
    Originally posted by Billie-jo
    Brilliant willpower Billie-jo! OH went into coop on his own last Saturday with a list and still came out with a few 'bargains' such as 'reduced' but still expensive cheese that only he will eat. He's obviously not as 'cured' as I thought!

hi all is there a march groccery challenge up yet. hope everyone is doing well. hugs too those that need them xxx
    Originally posted by youngmummy
    Youngmummy, keep checking back here regularly as Zippy or Pink-winged will post a link to the new challenge in the next week. Once you see MrsMcCawber and rosieben post up the names lists and recipe lists (they do this to allow easy set up of the new thread) then that's an indication the thread will be up and running soon. The latest it's likely to be is this weekend. HTH.

Only spend was yesterday on membrane for the garden from B*M and I suppose the chips from the chippy for GD, 2 workmen and me will also go down so that's 11 to add. Will do sig in a min.

My 'plot' (aka one end of the garden ) is all double dug and ready to be planted up. Well, gradually over time but I'm impatient! Can't believe how much space we've managed to achieve. Should really help with veg this year. And my raspberries and gooseberries are heeled in waiting for their final planting places. We'll still do some things in pots on the patio (baby toms, mange tout and possibly runner beans though will have more of these planted in the plot too) but we are going to be sooo much more productive this year. And a lot of the seeds are winter roots etc so will continue through. One of the carrots we've got can be left in ground into/thru winter until wanted which is great.

Sorry, went right off topic! Can you tell how excited I am? Didn't sleep last night until about 5 am this morning and OH did me hot water bottles to go back to bed after taking him to work but I must take advantage of the pouring rain to get the indoors at least some way towards clean! So washing machine is on and I'm gonna go strip beds, vaccuum and dust soon.

Well done to all those who have finished their February challenge and good luck to those who like me are in for the long haul to next Monday.

ETA: I meant to say welcome back helen jelly. Good to see you back and I hope you are through the worst now.

Take care all,
    Spigs
    Last edited by Spiggle; 23-02-2011 at 9:00 AM.
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • funnyflipp
    NSD day yesterday !!! (2 in a row) and plenty of food for the next few days
    I will need to shop tomorrow though as I am working this weekend and we will have run out of lunch stuff by then
    If I provide it then it will be in budget if I leave them to fend for themselves it will go haywire!!
    So clean sheet Fri and begin again
    112121.02 10 Years and counting!
    Target in 2011 22K /10646.97 DFD Feb 2017
    42Lbs /23 Down 19 to go!
    So now I just need to keep going!
    Nearly half way through the year and I'm still here
  • scotsaver
    spiggle - I don't think you went off topic - I consider growing fruit & veg as part of the GC for those of us who are lucky enough to have the space/time to grow our own. I too am getting excited about getting started, got a few things I want to get sown this week like toms,peppers,chillies etc.

Going to have a NSD today, dinner tonight is meatballs(from Freezer), tomato sauce and pasta.

Got my chest freezer defrosting at the moment to make room for DR delivery on Friday, the few bits that were left I have put into the Fridge/freezer. Made a few surprise discoveries when I was winding down the contents, from now on I must try to be tidier/organised and make sure everything has a label. It's also been a great way of making sure I've stayed in Budget this month although I do still have some shopping to do on Friday for the weekend as my March GC doesn't start until Monday.

Good luck everyone, we're all getting there.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 23rd Feb 11, 10:41 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Forgot to post on here last time I shopped....oops. Anyway we are one week in to the budget that started on 15th Feb, spent a good bit but pretty much on track .
    Visited Lidl, Tesco yesterday and also got some diesel (1.43.9p/l!!!!), not spending huge amounts but not getting that much for my money either tbh! Scary prices for some foods and certainly fuel.
    Last night for tea I made chicken, sweetcorn and cauli pies (no cauli for DS) and served with croquettes from Lidl (cheap but nice as a stand-by!) and peas....was yummy and still have chicken and sweetcorn left over too .
    x
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 23rd Feb 11, 11:08 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Hey all,

I have been a bit naughty the last week or so and have bought some unneccesary luxury items. Sig total is updated, but still well within budget, and to be fair the cupboards/fridge/freezer are literally empty bar condiments...
    I have been good though, and have already written my 4 weeks meal plans ready for my shopping list for payday saturday. I have also made a note on the meal plans of things (pies, pizzas, stews, etc) that i will make two of and freeze one. This will be helpful for later in the month or even next month's budget.
    I have also used my SC for the first time, and made a turkey curry. I literally threw in everything that i would normally put in a curry recipe, and it turned out pretty well! if not a little liquidy but nothing a roux couldnt fix. Had i had coconut milk that would have added a little more thickness and taste, but water sufficed and it turned out ok. There are even 2 servings in the freezer for next time as well as 2 naans that were reduced to 10p on sell by date.
    Next experiment will be beef stew. and i have also put coq au vin on the meal plan as well as chicken in white wine sauce. hope they all turn out ok.

i am enjoying this budget thing so much as i am more enthusiastic about experimenting and trying new recipes, and it is ensuring that we all eat a good variety of food and produce less waste which in turn helps the pocket.
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 23rd Feb 11, 11:21 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    Have updated my sig. Meat and tesco shop arrived today. Got a voucher for 5p off per litre of petrol which will be handy for our journey.

Taking a break from my ironing. Good news on the financial front following boiler expense. DH is due a tax rebate which should be paid in next couple of days so the dent in our savings is not so huge.

Off to prepare the doner meat for dinner. The kitchen should be warm enough now for me to venture in.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 23rd Feb 11, 11:25 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    I had food going off again today so made garlic chicken and mushroom with pasta - was good

omg lookin at prog on bbc3 about low fat foods, glad that I've been making more fresh meals recently - these low fat ready meals are full of all kinds and low fat bread has a E number which is feathers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O
    Originally posted by wannaBrich
    i know i know you shouldnt believe everything you read in the paper.... BUT.... it said in the mirror the other day that there is more sugar in a flavoured botltle of water than in 3 jam doughnuts..... i never buy flavoured bottled water but it just reiterates that you never know what additives are in these 'supposedly' healthy products. my answer - make as much as you can from scratch!!

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

• nessie216
    • By nessie216 23rd Feb 11, 11:39 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    nessie216
    Afternoon All,

Have update my sig - i will declare 214.45 spent for feb out of a 150 budget

Considering it was my first month doing the GC i think it was quite good and considering i done my first ever AF order (DH stocked up on pack-up bits for looooonnngg time!)

Also pleased that i had 20 NSD out of 32 (it was a weird month for me!)

Aiming for another 20 this month

I am going on holiday to sunny brighton in middle of March but i won't be counting it within my GC - i will take it out of other money (not sure which yet) but it is for mothers day - have to treat her to something!

Got to pick up a few bits tonight - jackets etc.

Anyone know the best place to get jacket potatoes?

• Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 23rd Feb 11, 11:44 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Just having a break, the wm is on for the second time.

... also got some diesel (1.43.9p/l!!!!) ... Scary prices for some foods and certainly fuel
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    is all I can say to that price OrkneyStar! And I thought my unleaded petrol at 1.259 was expensive.

... I have been a bit naughty the last week or so and have bought some unneccesary luxury items. Sig total is updated, but still well within budget, ...

Next experiment will be beef stew. and i have also put coq au vin on the meal plan as well as chicken in white wine sauce. hope they all turn out ok.

i am enjoying this budget thing so much as i am more enthusiastic about experimenting and trying new recipes, and it is ensuring that we all eat a good variety of food and produce less waste which in turn helps the pocket.
    Originally posted by cutiepieabf
    We have to treat ourselves sometimes cutiepie, and even better if the treats are paid for within budget. I hope all your sc meals are wonderful, congrats on the meal planning. I constantly find it amazing how budgeting affects so many areas of our life. As you say, we all seem to eat so much better, cook more/better food and reduce our waste. You know, I think our Mum's and Gran's were much more sussed than we sometimes give them credit for.

spiggle - I don't think you went off topic - I consider growing fruit & veg as part of the GC for those of us who are lucky enough to have the space/time to grow our own. I too am getting excited about getting started, got a few things I want to get sown this week like toms,peppers,chillies etc.
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    Thanks for that scotsaver. The only thing I think I can start off at the moment is the toms. We didn't succeed very well at all with peppers last year (no greenhouse - yet!?!?) so we're giving them a miss this year. I could start an early tray of salad leaves possibly. hmmm, need to think on that. Hoping tomorrow will be dry as I want to get my compost bins emptied and put on the plot. Good luck with your seeds!

Back to housework.

See you later,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 23rd Feb 11, 12:06 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Quick Question.

We used to buy lot of potato croquetts, waffles, ect and now I'm not buying them wonder what different things I can do with freash pot's to go with meals. Other then roast, sliced and diced. We don't like mash so that's out...thanks
    Originally posted by SavingJane
    Hi there, i have also cut out the potato products and we used to buy a lot! hash browns, chips, waffles, croquettes.... so i have also been experimenting with potatoes. Here are a few ideas you may or may not have tried:
    - potato cakes - make mash (i know you said you dont like mash but this is what the content of croquettes is ), add chopped spring onion, cheese, whole grain mustard seed and mix. Make into rounds a couple of inches thick and dip in egg and then flour and fry on both sides for a few mins. really tasty.
    - rostis - grate potato, add onion, leek, to the bowl, mix in a beaten egg and shape into rounds. Fry for a few mins each side. Try not to fry too hot as outside will burn before middle is cooked.
    - Variation to roast potatoes - if you have like i do, all of the small potatoes left in the bag because your other half cant be bothered to peel the small ones (), put potato on a tablespoon, cut slices down about every cm, so that the cut stops before the bottom of the potato. Put potatoes onto a baking tray and pour olive oil over the top of them as well as s&p. Put in oven for 30-45 mins (depending on size of potatoes). After 20mins, take out and you'll find that the slices have started separating, pour over a little more oil and seasoning/herbs and replace in oven.
    - bubble and squeak - mash potatoes with any leftover veg - carrots, parsnips, cabbage, sprouts. Make sure mash is at least 50% of mixture so it combines properly, and fry both sides.
    - home made chips. unbelievable how much nicer chips taste from scratch.

hope this helps.

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 23rd Feb 11, 12:16 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 29,794 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hello...just thought id mention that lloyds pharmacy are doing buy 1 get 1 free on a selection of stuff...i got deo shampoo shower gel in mine....know its not food but thought might help someone

tessa
    Last edited by tessie bear; 23-02-2011 at 5:01 PM.
    onwards and upwards
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 23rd Feb 11, 12:19 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    SavingJane - what about chopping them up into wedges adding some spices like cajun/bbq and a teeny bit of oil and chucking them in the oven? We do this quite often and it makes a nice change.
    Originally posted by WelshWoofer
    ooooo or cube them, put into roasting dish add s&p and plenty of paprika, give a toss and put in oven for about 30mins, tossing occassionally. mmmm.

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

• cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 23rd Feb 11, 12:23 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Afternoon

It's just over halfway through the month so it is of course the point at which I realise, once again, that I'm not going to make it!

I'm now up to 316.89/342.76 for Feb and with next week being half-term I'm going to go over by some way . One thing I must sort out is that I have had too many deliveries this month - I need to plan the timing better. I'll have to have another A*da one this week (which I'll keep to the 25 minimum) but it's really only for pizzas after last time's mess-up (they gave them to somebody else - sorry about going on about it but it did muck me up!!)

Apart from that it's not too bad. Today I made 5 double portions of spag bol for the DDs and 3 lots of shepherd's pie filling for the freezer and I really enjoyed cooking it all - I love having 2 or 3 pots on the go and thinking how much work I'm saving myself later! Tomorrow I'll do some lentil loaf and that should all last for a while.

I keep cancelling my veg boxes as I don't use everything and I need to be in the mood to incorporate random veg into my plan which I'm not at the moment. Also the ! I might cancel permanently tbh.

Hope everybody's challenge is going well!
    Originally posted by franby64
    where do you get your veg box from?

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

2,314Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin