Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Jun 08, 11:44 AM
    July 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Jun 08 at 11:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
Page 90
  • dink1
    finally caught up with thread now for the housework!
    Hi GUys,

How are you all? managed to catch up on the posts! just need to do same with ironing and housework! FAT CHANCE! would like to believe I am nigella lawson or some other domestic goddess but truth is on some days I have problems remembering my own (and for that point my munchkins)names!!!

Kaatlady and Chocteddy - ta for the links have managed to find what I was looking for and for the best price thanks for the heads up!
    Mandymoo - sorry you are feeling down at the mo, just remember you are a valued member on here. Be kind to yourself and dont expect too much!
    BabyMother - having a ds who when grows up (he is knee high to grasshopper at mo) acts as if he is gonna be a stunt person, I know exactly what you mean! I have been there at A&E where the dr (who obviously has never ever had kids) said "Your son has been in xxxx amount of incidents in six months didnt he know it would be a bad idea to jump down 9 steps at once!!!!! he even asked him why he did it and the reply was "to see if I could!!!!" so am with you all the way!

dink1
    Last edited by dink1; 13-07-2008 at 2:55 PM.
    JanGC 250/82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/86/cm40/9.50
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 13th Jul 08, 1:51 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,528 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY
    Good afternoon

Dink

You have reminded me my cat needs a blood test for his thyroid will have to make an appointment on monday to see if the tablets are at the right strength,, he is seventeen years old so I have to watch him dont want to lose him,,,, he does not like bad weather,,you can see him going downhill in this weather ,,,wish it would warm up just for a bit as it may be his last summer,, we nearly lost him last christmas so I am not looking forward to this winter
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• mandy_moo_1
    thanx to you all for your kind words........i'm feeling loads better now

went to Mr M's but there weren't many whoopsies to be had.........just battered tins of beans and tomatoes but i've already got hundreds of those hidden under the bed :rolleyes: didn't think i should get anymore!!

managed to have a nice quiet day so far, and i'm gonna go and do some x-stitch in a bit whilst DD18 & DS15 are out for the afternoon

had a good look round the house whilst i was doing the h/work, and it really needs de-cluttering!! think i'll be having a nosy at the thread on it to give some ideas. its mainly cupboards that want emptying and tidying up, and trying to find homes for all the stuff lying about

i'm hoping Ruby's gonna be a mum by the end of August, so i want to make sure everywhere's all done/clean by then ( Ruby's my lickle yorkie btw!) so i can concentrate on the pups

just noticed earlier my fridge freezer isnt working properly the freezer's ok, but the temp won't come down on the fridge ......... its a frost free, and i don't think the fan's cutting in on the fridge so the 'super' button keeps kicking in.......gonna have to call a flippin repair man out in the mornin. i'm so annoyed, its only JUST out of warranty, cos its only 18months old

other than that i'm having a good day! hope everyone's being good and thrifty

edit: oh kaat lady i hope your cat's ok and gets on ok at the vets.....my dogs are my babies and i hate them being poorly (((hugs))) to you sweetheart xx
    Last edited by mandy_moo_1; 13-07-2008 at 2:06 PM.

• shezza
    Afternoon everyone. Thankfully I have stopped falling over today (little touch of vertigo I think over the last few days (no wine I promise )) long enough to have made a few things, I have made Curry Queens base sauce then made the chicken bhuna for lunch, was going to attempt the naan bread but didn't have any yoghurt. I have also made the weetabix brownies (v v yummy ) and some chocolate chip muffins (still cooking - smell very nice).

Still need to update my signature but I am stilll well on track, this challenge has really kept me on my toes, I am so please I joined .

• savingfortravel
    URGENT HELP NEEDED-ABOUT TO PUT RASPBERRY MUFFINS IN OVEN FOLLOWING RECIPE FROM POST 6. BUT NOT SURE WHAT TEMP...IT DOESN'T SAY...HELP!! sft
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: 89.72 Voucher savings 8
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 13th Jul 08, 3:38 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    URGENT HELP NEEDED-ABOUT TO PUT RASPBERRY MUFFINS IN OVEN FOLLOWING RECIPE FROM POST 6. BUT NOT SURE WHAT TEMP...IT DOESN'T SAY...HELP!! sft
    Originally posted by savingfortravel
    Gas 6/200C
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 13th Jul 08, 3:38 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 105,054 Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    I cook my muffins at 180 if thats helpful
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • savingfortravel
    Thanks Angelnikki-Just turning the oven up.
    Thanks Gunsandbanjos-Thats about what we thought.
    Its our first attempt so we're very excited.
    Just about to start making a couple of fish pies.
    SFT
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now 46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=173.72/244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our 980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    • turbo5019
    • By turbo5019 13th Jul 08, 3:45 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    turbo5019
    Just popped in to update sig. NSD toady but did spend 8.51 at Mr A yesterday.
    Finding this month hard due to DH being home all he wants to do is spend.
    I am now cooking me first ever home grow new potatoes and can't wait to see what they taste like. will update later what they are like also having home grown runner beans and carrots so a cheap tea.
    GC 7.79/225 per month ~ wk1 7.79/ 50
  • annelouise
    Popping some grated courgette in the frying pan to add to pasta pesto,garlic bread is in.Friend over playing Monopoly just now.

Already done shopping list for tomorrow as per menu plan for next 3 days as kids are off I like to shop frequently for F & V.Need some baking items cheap and on list.

Looking at spending no more than 10 euro's tomorrow including icecream treat for kids smoothies and desserts,at way expensive kids party Tuesday (quad bikes,horse riding,jacuzzi,pool etc etc )so no lunch needed.

Have popped some leftover pasta cooling on the side for someones ,garlic bread leftovers is better today than yesterday!!!!Odd that

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • Tesco-shopper
    Really busy at the moment
    Hi, I am really busy at the moment - life will slow down in a month's time, but at the moment I don't have time to read the posts.

However, I just wanted to say that I am still recording my grocery spends, thanks to all you on the site here, and it is helping me to spend less. So thanks to EVERYONE.

• OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 13th Jul 08, 4:53 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Hi fellow GC'ers,
    Hope you are all having a good day.
    Mandy_moo, I cannot sleep well these days either and am constantly tired- its like a catch22 trying to get on top of it, I hope you manage to feel a bit more inspired soon. If it helps your posts often make me smile, esp when you mention the doggies- is one pregnant yet ?
    ok, am doing creamy chicken with leek and bacon for tea tomorrow- anyone got any tips to make the sauce super scrummy ?
    Having it with asparagus (that I got for 50p in coop).
    Today has been an NSD although not added to sig yet.
    Hoping for a MSW this week, we will need milk at some point, maybe cheap honey, nothing else I can think of.
    Off to make some Jamie Oliver hm bread now .
    Also, excited two tom plants have baby toms on and my courgette plant has little courgettes-they will do me once I use up the 3 I got from Tesco last week. Need to have something with courgette on Tue me thinks! Also had 1 strawb and two are left on nice and red under the net mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I love thinking of ways to use up my food now, and hate to ditch anything much.
    Last edited by OrkneyStar; 13-07-2008 at 4:58 PM.
  • Zend
    July Grocery Challenge
    Just got back from Mr M's and spent 85 . I only intended to spend 50. I don't seem to have bought all that much extra to my usual shop. I told DH that was it, no more food shopping. He wanted to know where all the money has gone, well, I try and put 50 away each month for Christmas which leaves me with 150 for the month for food etc. He was not very impressed.

A bit narked with him at the moment. I'm trying desparately not to waste food. Last night he decided to cook some rice to go with a left over curry. He cooked enough for 3 people, left enough for 2 people and then left it out in the sun and I had to through it away , and he wonders why my food bills are so high .
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 13th Jul 08, 4:59 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    hey folks

well ended up in MrT when i went to pick up OH, my mum needed some milk so i got a couple of things (SC baking goodies, P flour, squash for OH, bombay mix for OH, lemon curd, gales is still only 22p and value is 35p , marmite and some beer for OH (can you see a theme here! ) )

will update my sig when i fing the reciept but i think it was about 11-12 quid after taking off mum's milk money.

DEN - yes i love Bones and Mr Boreanz is oh so fine

today i'm making butternut squash, sweet potato and carrot soup.
    chop onion, add oil to pan, add onion, tumeric and cumin (tsp of each or so) add the carrot and sweet potato, stir it round, add chicken stock, add the pre roasted BNS (easier to peel then) and leave to melt down, serve blended with hm bread
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 13th Jul 08, 5:04 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    What are the muffins like SFT? I bet they're yummy!

Glad you're feeling better Mandy Moo

Ooh I love BNS soup IOIWE I'm gonna be living on soup next week I think as I've got to have a tooth out on tuesday Oh well - at least it will help my diet :rolleyes:

We just had savoury lamb, new potatoes and peas for dinner - cost per portion 40p

Nikki
    x
  • savingfortravel
    Angelnikki-Your dinner sounds delicious and so low cost!!!

The muffins were a great success and we've got quite alot of raspberries from the garden to use up. Did I read sometime that the muffins go stale quite quickly so its best to freeze them???

I remember eating a delicious bowl of butternut squash soup in Zambia...oh such memories... I'm sure that I'm a little down because my work/life balance is really poor at mo...I'm in need of a SFT adventure..

SFT
    Last edited by savingfortravel; 13-07-2008 at 5:28 PM.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 13th Jul 08, 5:38 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    SFT thats great that they turned out well You can freeze them, I normally defrost them in the microwave for a freshly baked taste or just let them defrost for a couple of hours and then shove them in the oven to warm

Have you thought about doing one of those working holidays somewhere maybe over the summer? I think you only need to pay for flights or something?

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 13-07-2008 at 6:05 PM. Reason: no microwave
    • KAAT_LADY
    • By KAAT_LADY 13th Jul 08, 5:40 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 35,528 Thanks
    KAAT_LADY

Thanks Denise and Angelnikki I have done it again but I dont know how again will have to kep practising

I have my BM on as I dont think I can get on with that boule so I will stick with the BM
    Last edited by KAAT_LADY; 13-07-2008 at 5:42 PM. Reason: i had not finished
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• JayJay14
    Hi everyone,

Had an NSD yesterday and only spent £2 so far today bt OH is going to go to Domino's later for a pizza treat cos I start my new job tomorrow

Got myself is such a tiz last week handing over the job but if I've forgotten anything it's too late now

So tomorrow I will be off for the bus at 8am for the first time ever - have w**ked close to home for the las 17 years so it will be a new experience

I will have to walk through the city centre to get to the bus station on the way home every night so that is going to be a trial - not to mention the Tesco Extra next door to the bus stop

I have a meal plan for the week but I am not organised enough really - too scared to think straight - but I'm hoping that once I get started I will get into a routine.

I keep telling myself that not many girls on the wrong side of 50 get the chance at a new career like this so I intend to grab it with both hands

I may treat myself to coffee on the way to the bus though as DD2 has been working in the coffee shop at the station for the last 2 weeks so I'll have to support her well now and again anyway.

We have been harvesting loads of raspberries these last 2 weeks so we've been munching away but we can't keep up so there are also loads in the freezer for later. Today I have used some for a couple of small pots of jam which taste amazing - so much better than shop stuff.

Anyway enough of my ramblings - I think I'll go and have a nice shower and find some decent clothes to wear tomorrow.
  • savingfortravel
    Thanks Angelnikki...
    We don't have a microwave but would a blast in the oven do?
    Thanks for your suggestion. I 'll look into that.
    SFTX
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

6,310Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin