Mobile worker, travel time

Options
2»

Comments

• Leemufc
    Leemufc Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Because I'm a mobile worker driving a company van with no fixed place of work, imo I should be classed as being at work soon as i start the van up and and finish soon as i turn the van off at home after work,
    Anyone know if there is a set law on this for mobile workers? Cheers
  • Leemufc
    Leemufc Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi no I don't work for the same firm as comeandgo
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Leemufc wrote: »
    Hi no I don't work for the same firm as comeandgo

How do you know that?

I’m out as OP has been given advice and doesn t want to listen. So resident dilemma AI/ bot returns.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    How many hours a week do you work? Are you a salaried employee? Or a contractor? Or self employed? Who pays for your fuel?

I'm a salaried employee, 35 hours , company car, fuel for work set at whateverHMRC sets. I travel thousands of miles a month so most of my time is travel.
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Because I'm a mobile worker driving a company van with no fixed place of work, imo I should be classed as being at work soon as i start the van up and and finish soon as i turn the van off at home after work,

I am in the same type of employment, my very basis understanding of the European directive was that your van is your office so you need to be in your van and on the way buy you start time. However my company does not work this way and the tell us we have to sign on our computers at a certain time and make best efforts to get to the first job buy our start time. Any time this gets challenged it gets pushed aside, including by the union.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options

Yup.

In our October 2015 Employment Law Guide, we also reported on the ECJ case which said that working time for mobile workers must include time spent travelling between home and the first and last job of the day.

https://www.moorepay.co.uk/blog/mobile-workers-getting-minimum-wage/

Two points:-

Working time matters for NMW purposes. So long as the payment being made for those 37 hours exceeds the total for the 42 or whatever hours at NMW including travel time to the first and last job then it's all hunky dory.

I'm not 100% convinced you are a mobile worker. You are employed to carry out repairs and maintenance for a social housing company. Their houses don't move.
  • boundy
    boundy Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But you'd have to get to and from work if you worked in an office? I'm just struggling to see why you consider travelling 30minutes to your first call any different.

Because you can choose how far you live from a fixed point of employment, it's a bit different if your first job is never in the same place 2 days in a row and could be 10-150 miles away.

I'm a Tech covering a large area, my office plan my day from door to door. If the first job is 2 hours away this would only allow 6.5 hours of working day left, including getting home again, to carry out and travel between other jobs.

I realise this may not be the norm and I'm well looked after by my employer in this respect. There is an element of swings and roundabouts though, I cover the Channel Islands, so do need to stay away 1-2 nights a month but don't get paid any overtime.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    How did that work if say home to office was 30 minutes, first job is an hour away, did you leave home at the same time or half hour earlier?
    I was field based, so didn't have an office to travel to. If my first job was 10 minutes away, I left at 7.50am, if my first job was an hour away, I left at 7am. We got paid mileage for travel, but it was just classed as a commute same as any other job apart from that.

Same company but different role we worked a two weeks on/two weeks off rota, and the only time we got paid for travel was at the end of our stint when we finished early as we had to drop the van back off at a depot before going home.

It's been over 5 years since I left that job though, so that ruling regarding mobile workers wasn't in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure