PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Victorian house floor issues

Options
newfoundglory
newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 15 May 2018 at 8:23PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello

Recently moved into a Victorian (1900) house, just about detached so air-bricks all around, which has a few odd floor issues.

Neither my surveyor (or the sellers surveyor prior to that) found any significant cracking, current settlement/subsidence or structural movement + no indication of foundation problems. Floors were indicated as apparently level and firm.

Although I didn't notice on the viewings, some stairs and the bathroom are sloped. some of the door frames are very wonky upstairs (although the floors basically straight in most cases). one of the bedrooms is slightly sunken in the middle of the floor and sounds like a few lose boards (clunking, not creaking)

The house was refurbed by the seller and the floors covered in carpet/underlay, so inspecting not easy now.

My biggest concern is the hallway, which again seems firm, but very lumpy and you can feel either raised or sunken boards under foot.

I am concerned at what I might find under the carpet, but have found an old for-sale image of the living room;

https://imgur.com/a/NWTg4t7

Is this an original floor or not? Not all the boards look the same...
Grateful for any thoughts and experiences on victorian floor issues.

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello

Recently moved into a Victorian (1900) house, just about detached so air-bricks all around, which has a few odd floor issues.

Neither my surveyor (or the sellers surveyor prior to that) found any significant cracking, current settlement/subsidence or structural movement + no indication of foundation problems. Floors were indicated as apparently level and firm.

Although I didn't notice on the viewings, some stairs and the bathroom are sloped. some of the door frames are very wonky upstairs (although the floors basically straight in most cases). one of the bedrooms is slightly sunken in the middle of the floor and sounds like a

You seem to have fallen through the floor as you were typing.
  • newfoundglory
    edited 15 May 2018 at 8:25PM
    Options
    Oops.... I posted it in DIY, but instead half of it ended up here?

Cant find the delete button so fixed the post instead.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    100 year old house. It'll be wonky! So?

If you're worried about the floorboards (and what might be underneath, then lift a few and take a look. Not hard to do.

You can check for damp, worm, rot etc by doing that.

If it's just that the boards are loose, buy a hammer and some nails and bang them down.

If some boards need replacing, replace them.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 May 2018 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Its a hundred plus years old who knows what original material was used and what's been used since then, the foundations certainly wouldn't have been to today's standard so some settlement or movement before stabilising (hopefully) is almost inevitable. It would be a miracle if there weren't wonky doors and floors unless someone did a recent major fix up.

All you can do is take up carpet and use a Mk 1 Eyeball to work out what needs fixing.

Ps. IMO better to screw floorboards down than nail.
  • newfoundglory
    edited 15 May 2018 at 10:04PM
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Yeah, the footings are very shallow. The neighbour mentioned it (who has taken up their floor), reckons approx half a meter in the void below!

I can 'feel' holes or dips in the boards.

I don't think the refurb was well done in all areas, cutting corners in some places. The house was well looked after by the previous occupant (who is not the same person as the seller), and I have a duty to look after the place and fix what needs fixing, as I do love this place.

Im not sure this is a job for me. Do I need a carpenter or another trade?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure