Cost of break pad + caliper for Astra 2008 model

2»

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I must admit that I replace callipers and wheel cylinders in pairs. My reasoning is that if one has failed, the other one can't be far behind.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I must admit that I replace callipers and wheel cylinders in pairs. My reasoning is that if one has failed, the other one can't be far behind.

By that reasoning, would you suggest that the OP should have replaced all four calipers?
  • Gloomendoom
    edited 12 May 2018 at 10:14PM
    sevenhills wrote: »
    By that reasoning, would you suggest that the OP should have replaced all four calipers?

Probably not a bad idea, particularly if they intend to keep the car.

I recently replaced both rear callipers on the rear axle of my wife's car. The only reason I didn't replace the fronts was because the previous owner had had them replaced two months earlier.

Last year I replaced all six wheel cylinders on my Land Rover when one failed.
  • markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Now you are being silly, only one set needs to be replaced, to keep balance across a axle.
    All four wheels should be bleed, until clean fluid come though, What I do is vacuum the reservoir (not with a hover) fill with a clean unopened bottle and suck or push the fluid round the system until clean fluid come out into the bottle.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,881 Forumite
    markudman wrote: »
    Now you are being silly, only one set needs to be replaced, to keep balance across a axle.

'Gloomendoom' was saying that it was the age of the components, not balance, since the discs were being replaced .......

and you never know when .... 'the previous owner had had them replaced .....'
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    markudman wrote: »
    The reason you replace both is,
    like rear wheel cylinders, if you replace one, new one is working better that the older one, and can cause brake imbalance,or cause the older one to fail suddenly

Brake calipers are simple hydraulic devices. Unless something is seriously wrong with them, their performance doesn't degrade with time / use.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Gloomendoom
    Brake calipers are simple hydraulic devices. Unless something is seriously wrong with them, their performance doesn't degrade with time / use.

My experience is exactly the opposite. Internal and external corrosion, hardening and degradation of the seals all take their toll. Ceramic pistons have a tendency to distort with age and stick.
  • markudman
    markudman Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary

OK lets look at this statement, And I'll use this Astra's rear Calipers as an example ,

There is 3 moving parts, the piston, the slider's and handbrake gear.

These sliding calipers are prone to seizure due to corrosion in two areas.

if the slider's are seized, then no need to replace the whole caliper, you can remove the old ones, clean, grease and replace the slider's.

The rear Calipers on this car have the hand brake incorporated into the caliper.

This works by using a gear inside the piston,

Brake fluid has hygroscopic properties - meaning that it absorbs moisture during its life in your car through the pipes, hoses and joints that it lubricates, (See more about brake fluid blow)

The moisture corrodes the Piston, bores and handbrake gears of the caliper and hardens the seals, resulting in the caliper seizing ( this is why is so important to do a brake fluid change at least every 2 years)

Their performance degrade with time / use

Why is brake fluid important?
    Brake fluid plays a crucial role in your braking system as it transfers the force created when a driver presses the brake pedal directly onto the wheel hub.

Heat generated under braking, especially under heavier breaking or prolonged breaking, may affect the brake fluid which can only work if it is liquid and not so hot that it has become vapour.
    Therefore the boiling point that your brake fluid can achieve is critical to efficient braking as temperatures above the boiling point form vapour bubbles in the system, potentially resulting in brake failure.
    In addition, the brake fluid serves as a lubricant of all movable parts and prevents corrosion. It has to be compatible with rubber seals and hoses thus allowing braking systems to achieve long service and optimal performance.

As the water content in the brake fluid increases, the temperature the liquid boils at decreases. The boiling point can be significantly reduced by water contamination which will have a negative effect on your braking ability.

Whilst regular servicing of your vehicle will include checking the boiling point of your brake fluid, vehicle manufacturers recommend that you change your brake fluid at least every two years if not sooner (check your vehicle handbook for details).

Changing brake fluid when recommended prevents brake failure and maintains the boiling point at a safe level.
    We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose.
    If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure