PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RnR - one of the first things to help stretch the budget is MAKE A LIST!! and stick to it lol! Although I've left my list on the kitchen table too many times to mention so I've now got in the habit of putting it on my phone.
    Mend - buttons to be moved on a wrap skirt
    Minimise - Electric knife, Julienne slicer and electric bottle opener all to go to CS or Freecycle.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • villagelife
    Options
    More minimizing done. Cupboards are starting to be cleared and rubbish thrown and a pile for ebaying and charity shop.
    Taken shoe box to work as someone wanted them for her daughter.

Mended a cardigan. Sewed a button back on.

Made do with food in the house. Using up tinned veg that we had from MIL. Used with fresh and frozen. I won't be buying again but were free to us.
  • villagelife
    Options
    Feeling pleased with myself as I managed to mend the boiler. I googled the fault code and fixed it.
    Made do with transplanting hardy geraniums being moved from one part of the garden to an area i had minimised the weeds in it.
    Had a bonfire and did burn the perennial weed roots i do have more to do but some done. It also looks better to plant in an area that I have cleared and to do it for free is even better.
  • mrsinvisible
    Options
    l have lurked here for almost a year, hope you don't mind if l post?
    yesterday l minimised all the ivy that was threatening to invade my neighbours garage, a drawer full of outgrown DGS clothes, to CS bag, mended the gate, and made do with the fence paint l had in the shed, to paint it.
    Today l will minimise the baking tray cupboard! (been putting it off for ages, but now it is in print so l have to do it.)
    Quandry do l CS DGS outgrown school shirts, (minimise) or do l cut off all the buttons and re-use them on the baby jackets and matinee coats l have knitted? (minimise, and make do)
  • missychrissy
    Options
    I'm 65 and grew up with 'make do and mend brigade' parents. A lot rubbed off on me. I find, like them, that most things have other uses.

I use empty small jars for storing herbs, dried chillies, mixing salad dressings etc.(sauces such as mustard, horseradish etc come in them). I have a selection of larger plastic jars (Aldi fruit came in them) for storing nuts, lentils, barley etc. I also have some large sweet jars, some from a local shop because I asked what they did with them when they were empty and they gave me about 6. These are great for storing pasta and rice. I keep safety pins in an old tobacco tin and buttons in empty sweet tins. I like the plastic mushroom containers of varying sizes. These can be filled with shredded tissue paper and gifts such as toiletries then covered with cellophane and given as gifts. Rolls of tissue paper and cellophane can be bought at outlets like Country Baskets. All containers can be put to some use.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A lady after my own heart missychrissy, I too find uses for empty tins, boxes jars etc.

My sis in law was hunting for some empty jars as she had got rid of hers earlier this year and someone has just given her a huge bag of green tomatoes.I have found eight in my cupboard and she will pick them up on Wednesday
    I also found a place for a half empty bottle of scotch as I am not keen and it was only sitting in the cupboard, my sis-in-law said she will feed some to a fruit cake.I love to find a good home for odds and ends that I find:)
    Making do with shopping from the freezer for dinner tonight
    and luckily no mending to do today
  • NelliePie
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    RnR - one of the first things to help stretch the budget is MAKE A LIST!! and stick to it lol! Although I've left my list on the kitchen table too many times to mention so I've now got in the habit of putting it on my phone.
    Mend - buttons to be moved on a wrap skirt
    Minimise - Electric knife, Julienne slicer and electric bottle opener all to go to CS or Freecycle.

Hi SilvaSava
    Have you tried the app 'Wunderlist'? It's a great to do list app. I can have different lists for different things and have different folders too. That may sounds complicated but as we're doing home renovations I have a home renovations folder with a separate to do list for each room; I also have a shopping folder with a list for food and a list for other stuff. I can sync this with my partner so we can both see and edit the lists, assign things for each other to do and add calendar reminders and notes. I'm probably making this sound way more complicated to use than it is but I promise it's so simple to use.
    NP
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lunch was minimising my left overs , a few left over cooked new potatoes, a few mushrooms some cabbage and sliced sweet chilli halloumi cheese topped off with the tail end of a bottle of sweet chilli sauce drizzled over the cabbage It was very tasty and extremely filling I don't have to cook anything tonight as its Tuesday and quiz night, so I get something there included in the price of the quiz
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I also found a place for a half empty bottle of scotch as I am not keen and it was only sitting in the cupboard, my sis-in-law said she will feed some to a fruit cake.

Mmm, boozy fruit cake - yummy. I usually add brandy to jars of mincemeat for Xmas mince pies but whisky would also work.

Minimise: Seven years ago I inherited loads (and I mean loads!!!) of cleaning stuff from late DF’s home and these, added to my own not-insubstantial stock, filled a whole base unit cupboard in the kitchen. :eek: Since then, I’ve been plugging away at using them up and am so happy they’ve now been reduced to one small plastic storage crate. :j When I re-visited the cupboard at the weekend I took out four bottles with “bits” in; two went in the bin (dried up/very OOD) and the other two are on the counter to remind me to finish them off. Most of what I’ve been using up over the years won’t be replaced and in future I’ll be making do with just a stock of basics.

I also found 15 (yes, 15) old toothbrushes that I keep for cleaning jobs. :o Put back six and binned the rest.

Failed miserably to minimise my dual-fuel costs; my fixed-price plan finished at the end of August and I haven’t been able to find anything cheaper – in fact the monthly DD has gone up, but I expected that. I’m hoping when my fuel provider reviews my account in 6-months time I’ll have a refund to come back; lower monthly DDs would be welcome too. :D

Make Do: The usual using up of food stocks before buying more. That said, I’m now replacing store cupboard items like pulses, flour, oil, dried fruit, nuts, tins of tomatoes etc ready for winter. I’m lucky that I have a small walk-in pantry where I can store these things.

missychrissy: I’ll have to pinch your idea about the sweet jars for storage as I’ve just bought 3kg of red lentils and 5kg of basmati rice and haven’t got anything large enough to put them in. I’ll be passing the newsagents on Friday so I’ll bob in and ask them (nicely, of course ;) ) if I could have a couple. A donation to their charity box might help.

Mend: Nothing in particular, but after our recent annual holiday my bank balance could do with a boost! On the bright side, next year’s is already booked and the deposit paid. Of course, the 2018 hotel costs have gone up compared with 2017 (but not excessively) so I’ll be doing my half-yearly budget review at the end of the month to see where I can make some savings. Note: I said "can" not "if"! I do like a challenge. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I shall be minimising my stash of tinned tuna and sweetcorn over the coming weeks I didn't realise how many tins of the flipping stuff I had in stock I bought quite a bit when it was on offer ages ago and stuck them at the back of the cupboard,now its time to use them up as I am minimising my food shopping spending this month (so far managed only one shop but will need to go at some point this week for the second and last shop for September :)I am hoping it should come in at around £25 odd I have a £60.00 budget for food for September and have only spent around £15 odd so far :) shopping from my stuff in stock has helped no end.
    Definitely a combination of making do and minimising :)

No mending to do ,although I do have a couple of things to sand down for repairing out in the conservatory so I may do that today

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family