Paid by PayPal asked for cash

I listed a large item and stated Cash on collection.

Person has paid by PayPal. This means they will take a percentage of it as well as eBay. I am presuming correctly 10%?

Would I be able to refund the PayPal amount and they pay cash?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to read the sticky thread about the problems of collection only items. There is nothing to stop you refunding and requesting cash, but that could mean you get a defect for the refund, and also have a buyer unwilling to proceed further which will cost you your FVFs even on the no sale. Alternatively if the item is expensive or scammable and you accept PayPal buyer can merely claim INR and get their money back after collecting.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Lara wrote: »

Would I be able to refund the PayPal amount and they pay cash?
    Yes, you need to contact the buyer first to let them know.
    The Paypal fee is less than 10% but the reason for not accepting for collection items is not to save in fees. It's mostly so you don't lose your item and face a claim for non receipt (amongst other possibilities).
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks. The buyer contacted me and asked if I wanted cash on collection or PayPal despite me stating cash on collection in my listing. Unfortunately she didn't wait for me to answer and paid via PayPal which I am not happy about as it means I now have to pay PayPal fees.
  • soolin
    Lara wrote: »
    Thanks. The buyer contacted me and asked if I wanted cash on collection or PayPal despite me stating cash on collection in my listing. Unfortunately she didn't wait for me to answer and paid via PayPal which I am not happy about as it means I now have to pay PayPal fees.

Have you read the sticky thread I directed you to? paying fees might be the least of your issues.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lara
    Yes I have soolin. The item can't be posted as too large - piece of furniture. I just preferred the buyer to view the item first to make sure they are happy with it and then pay. As it is let's hope they're happy!
  • Lara
    EDITED:
    Collected and buyer was perfectly happy with it. All's well but thanks for your help everyone.
  • Lara wrote: »
    EDITED:
    Collected and buyer was perfectly happy with it. All's well but thanks for your help everyone.
    I hope that you are correct, but the point of many of the comments here was to point out that if the buyer is a scammer, they now have 180 days in which to raise an Item Not Received claim with PayPal, which you would be unable to defend.
    Philip
  • soolin
    I hope that you are correct, but the point of many of the comments here was to point out that if the buyer is a scammer, they now have 180 days in which to raise an Item Not Received claim with PayPal, which you would be unable to defend.

Or if a scammer the usual response is to chargeback as an unknown payment on a debit/credit card and if questioned claim that your account was hacked and you know nothing about the purchase and collection. Usually that is easily defended with proof of postage, obviously not in this case.

I have occasionally allowed PayPal on collection , but have always weighed up the risks and know what could happen if my instincts were wrong.
  • Lara

Yes thanks I understand what soolin was saying and the consequences. I don't think there will be any come back as the purchaser was an older gentleman and used eBay a lot. I trust my instinct on this occasion and I'm usually a good judge of character - in the flesh!lol. However the comments here have made me far more aware of what could happen. So my thanks to you all for making me aware of a problem I never knew about. I sell very little and this item was an exception not being able to post.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Perfect account to hack though, longstanding account with good feedback.

Older gentlemen can still be dodgy. You probably missed the TV show where a couple found out their car was stolen, they had owned it for months.

Turns out the old lady who sold it to them failed to mention it was a mobility vehicle and not hers to sell. Old disabled woman in a nice house dressed nicely etc..

Appearances can be deceiving.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure