Website hosting advice please

Before Christmas I asked Yell to design and produce a website for my small business. I had issues with customer service, and told them to cancel my order a couple of weeks later.
They got in touch yesterday and are demanding payment for a product which I told them was not fit for purpose, I didn’t want, does not reflect my business, and told them not to publish - which they did.
As it is a business to business transaction I have no rights - is this true? I don’t seem to have any mention of a contract, or any terms.
I am not best impressed and really do not want to go ahead with Yell - they have given me two options pay 80% for the website and not use it, or work with them to fix the website and pay for it and use it.
Any help here would be really appreciated.

Comments

• scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,637
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    How have they arrived at the 80% figure?

Ask them to send a copy of the contract you have signed. If you haven't entered into a contract with them, then tell them to jog on. Have you paid anything so far? Payment could indicate entering into a contract, but unless you've seen sight of it then who knows what you've agreed to.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Not sure what this has to do with website hosting - But yes, the few websites I've seen done by Yell aren't that great.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,346
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I would look harder for the terms and conditions. Remember, "a contract" does not have to have written terms and conditions, but it is highly unlikely that they do not have any here.

Also, a contract can exist and be legally binding if there is a simple communication, by email, or over the telephone where there is an offer to provide a service for a certain price and that offer is accepted.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Joelysarah wrote: »
    Before Christmas I asked Yell to design and produce a website for my small business. I had issues with customer service, and told them to cancel my order a couple of weeks later.
    They got in touch yesterday and are demanding payment for a product which I told them was not fit for purpose, I didn’t want, does not reflect my business, and told them not to publish - which they did.
    As it is a business to business transaction I have no rights - is this true? I don’t seem to have any mention of a contract, or any terms.
    I am not best impressed and really do not want to go ahead with Yell - they have given me two options pay 80% for the website and not use it, or work with them to fix the website and pay for it and use it.
    Any help here would be really appreciated.

Of course you have rights, but you may not have the rights a consumer may have as you are not a consumer here.

Why are you of the opinion that "don’t seem to have any mention of a contract", when you start this post by admitting:
    Before Christmas I asked Yell to design and produce a website for my small business.

You clearly entered into a contract, and are now bound by the terms of that contract. Are you seriously suggesting you engaged the services of another, and never discussed terms such as what you expected nor what it would cost and when payment, if any, would fall due ???

:huh:
  • deskhelp
    deskhelp Posts: 99
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If this concerns you would suggest to get the work done from them as you wish and pay for the work you want them to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure