Reversing in Private Driveway Accident

Where my mum lives there is a private driveway (6 foot wide) which connects her house and a few others to the road on her estate. She is at the end of the driveway and around 70 yards away from the estate road.

Recently she was reversing her car out of her garage onto the driveway to find a van had reversed quickly up the driveway so they collided. There isn't a clear view from her garage down to the road as it's obstructed by fences. The reversing van saw her but she didn't see him.

The other party has tried to claim off her insurance. Does anyone know if this would typically be a knock for knock case or would she be at fault?

I suspect it would be her fault but as both were reversing I'm not too sure.

Thanks for any advice...

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If there are no independent witnesses I would think it's most likely to be regarded as 50/50.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Whatever the outcome it won't be knock for knock which went out years ago!

Assuming it ends up as split liability, and your mother makes a claim then she will be able to ask for the percentage share of all her uninsured costs to be reimbursed by the other side

Eg. If it ends up being 50/50 then she can pursue the other side for 50% of her uninsured losses such as excess,/,car hire etc
  • Thanks all. She won't be making a claim as there's only a slight scratch on her bumper. The other vehicle (a company van) had a very small dent.
    At the time the driver said it wasn't worth pursuing but later on, it seems the owner of the van thought otherwise and are trying to blame my mum.

Didn't know about the knock for knock change. I shall call it split liability from now on!
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sparkz42 wrote: »
    Where my mum lives there is a private driveway (6 foot wide) which connects her house and a few others to the road on her estate. She is at the end of the driveway and around 70 yards away from the estate road.

Recently she was reversing her car out of her garage onto the driveway to find a van had reversed quickly up the driveway so they collided. There isn't a clear view from her garage down to the road as it's obstructed by fences. The reversing van saw her but she didn't see him.

The other party has tried to claim off her insurance. Does anyone know if this would typically be a knock for knock case or would she be at fault?

I suspect it would be her fault but as both were reversing I'm not too sure.

Thanks for any advice...

Also don't forget to tell your mum it's much safer to reverse into her garage and then drive forwards onto a shared road then the other way around. This might help prevent any more accidents.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure