Resurrecting old threads

Periodically an old inactive thread on MSE is resurrected, in virtually every case the post either adds nothing to what's been said earlier, or should really be a new thread in it's own right.

Does the software behind the forum provide the functionality to automatically close threads which have seen no posts for a certain amount of time (maybe 12 months), and if so could this be implemented?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    There is a process of locking old threads , I'm not sure of the threshold or if it's automatically done
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    From what I've seen its automated spam posts mostly, these generally get removed in a day or two and the thread disappears again - That is unless another member posts something about 'You do know this thread is two years old...' followed by someone else posting without realising its an old thread, and then someone else, which then means the thread comes up again in the new posts section :)

I did wonder about the closed threads thing though as I've wanted to post a follow up to something in older threads myself a few times but normally I've found I can't as the threads are closed.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I'll personally lock old threads if they become "spam magnets"

I think sometimes the robotic scripts send up on particular boards and threads
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Browntoa wrote: »
    There is a process of locking old threads , I'm not sure of the threshold or if it's automatically done

There was an 8 year old one resurrected on the Old Style Forum the other day, which implies the process needs reviewing.
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I thought they automatically got locked after 2 years of inactivity but it must have changed if an 8 year old one was posted on.
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • I've seen one or two old threads recently, one I think was well over two years old, perhaps if people see them they should recommend that the new poster starts their own thread and then points out the resurrected thread to the relevant BG?
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Periodically an old inactive thread on MSE is resurrected, in virtually every case the post either adds nothing to what's been said earlier, or should really be a new thread in it's own right.

Does the software behind the forum provide the functionality to automatically close threads which have seen no posts for a certain amount of time (maybe 12 months), and if so could this be implemented?
    It does not matter that old threads are resurrected.

Old threads with no new posts are automatically locked after 2 years.

Unfortunately MSE decided to implement system which locks threads which is unnecessary, because a few pedantic people cannot handle shock of seeing an old thread.

There are plenty of reasons why it can be useful to post to an old thread.

The fantastic thing about MSE is that it has maintained the old forums and threads back to beginning.
  • Thanks for the question!

Old threads are currently locked after a set number of months' inactivity.

An exception to this is threads that are linked to in Martin/MSE curated books e.g., Thrifty Ways for Modern Days based on the Old Style board.

We do want to encourage engagement on the Forum so provided posts on old threads are genuine and meaningful that's fine.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories